CloneCD or Alcohol 120% for SafeDisk?

What app makes a truer 1:1 backup of SafeDisk? I’m using a Lite-On so both apps would work. But is there any advantages of using one over the other?

Thanks

I’m usning alcohol for safedisc 2.8x and clone for the older safedisc varieties. I’m not sure if the new clone 4.2.0.1 will do safedisc 2.8x or not. I just did 007 nightfire w/ alcohol no probs.

liteon 48x

Originally posted by CyberPlex
[B]What app makes a truer 1:1 backup of SafeDisk? I’m using a Lite-On so both apps would work. But is there any advantages of using one over the other?

Thanks [/B]

Many people have reported that latest Clone CD has defeated Safedisc 2.8.

Just check out the clonce cd forum.

I would use alcohol. Ccd copies of sd 2.8x cds only work on my dvd (which cannot read atip) if hide cd media enabled. Alcohol copies do not require hide with my dvd so, on my system at least, alcohol does a better copy.

Suggest Alcohol
because two softwares function nearly the same now.

CloneCD has nothing that superior or more advanced than Alcohol.

and Alcohol works.

Richteralan is right. Alcohol just beated CloneCD. No need of emulation for SafeDisc 2.8. CloneCD developer is adding what Alcohol 120% does at ages.

Originally posted by vio_man
Alcohol … No need of emulation for SafeDisc 2.8
Sorry to bang on about this, but, tell me how I can get a working backup from my Ricoh MP7163A, using Alcohol, without emulation? I beta test the software, tell me what I’m doing wrong?

how did Alcohol beat CloneCD?
i’m using CloneCD version 3.3.4.1 with my Lite-On 40125S and i can copy 007 Nightfire, NFS:HP2, MoHAA:Spearhead, etc. (all SafeDisc 2.8)
my backups work perfect from my 52x cdrom without hide cd media enabled or anything else.
from what i can tell there 1:1 copys of my originals, they install and play fine.

I’m with FutureProof and accel7 on this;

I’m a Lite-On LTR 40125S owner and still using CloneCD 3.3.4.1 for all SafeDisk versions. I’ve never gone to V4 as I’m happier with the V3 interface and it still copies the lastest SafeDisk. However if I had a zero sheep burner then CloneCD 4.2.0.2 is the [b] only [/b] software that will give me a working SafeDisk backup.

Having said that I have recently started using The BlindWrite Suite for SecuROM V4 protections because Olli is not there yet, but I’m confident that he’ll get there in due course.

Originally posted by FutureProof
Sorry to bang on about this, but, tell me how I can get a working backup from my Ricoh MP7163A, using Alcohol, without emulation? I beta test the software, tell me what I’m doing wrong?

I was able to do a working copy of FIFA 2003 and I don’t need to use emulation on Alcohol. I have a LG 8320@8400 and a JLMS (LiteON) XJ-HD166S DVD drive.

Originally posted by vio_man

I was able to do a working copy of FIFA 2003 and I don’t need to use emulation on Alcohol. I have a LG 8320@8400 and a JLMS (LiteON) XJ-HD166S DVD drive.

Alcohol, Blindwrite, CloneCD…it doesn’t matter with your burner, it’s a SD2 killer anyway.

Originally posted by FutureProof
Alcohol, Blindwrite, CloneCD…it doesn’t matter with your burner, it’s a SD2 killer anyway.

It shouldn’t matter but, unfortunately for me, it does. :frowning: At present, alcohol is the only one of the three that genuinely works with my set-up.

alcohol 120% is in my opinion the best SD back-up software around. all my back-ups works in every drive i tried it in.

As you told, it looks like that you burnt with CloneCD and enabled the option “Emulate weak sectors” because then you need the hide CD-R Media with all drives because of the emulation feature, you have to deactivate to burn it as normal (and then you should be able to backup Safedisk v2.8.x)

Originally posted by ghost_zero
As you told, it looks like that you burnt with CloneCD and enabled the option “Emulate weak sectors” because then you need the hide CD-R Media with all drives because of the emulation feature, you have to deactivate to burn it as normal (and then you should be able to backup Safedisk v2.8.x)

Errr, actually I’ve posted in other threads that I’ve tried ccd with each of the options; ignore, amplify and emulate. Same result whichever used. Doesn’t run from dvd unless hide on.

Naturally, since I’ve got a 2 sheep writer, ignore was the first I tried.

what I mean is CloneCD can’t offer any better function or more advanced option than Alcohol.

So for me and my writer Ricoh RW7200A, it’s kind of indifference for either software.

But I prefer Alcohol because it still can do a little bit more than CloneCD now.

Sorry, I didn’t see that post.

That is really strange because as you said it should work with your burner with ignore too.
Maybe Elaborate Bytes thought that it was fixed but it isn’t yet, then it may work with the next version.

did a test to day
and was able to succesfully back-up a SD 2.7 protected cd with a Sanyo CRD BP4N 16/10/40 SCSI writer (firmware 4.32) using Alcohol 120% with standard SD settings and bypass EFM error’s enabled.
so i think that alcohol can at least do the same that ccd can and maybe more (and better)

I think I’m a lucky guy. I’m stuck here in Kosovo with my Sony Vaio laptop with a Matshita DVD/CD-RW (which I used to think was a pile of you know what), and I can successfully backup all my SD & SecureROM protected games with Blindwrite and Alcohol, I have to admit I haven’t really used CloneCD lately but I think I’ll be giving it a bash to see what it can do now.

/me gently strokes his Matshita. :smiley: