CloneCD creates invalid CD, HELP

vbimport

I’m using CloneCD 2.8.4.3. Is that a good version?

I’m trying to copy Oxford English Dictionary V2.0 two CD set(OED2). The first (install) CD seems to go/copy OK and the copy of CD1 seems to work.

HW: SD-M1201, Plex 8/20 june99 1.07
SW: W98, CloneCD 2.8.4.3

The 2nd CD( CD2 ) is nightmares. All cases below/above use a HD image file.

Reading using default settings and “max” speed seems to work with either the Toshiba or 8/20 with no problems. Log shows SD type behavior on read with the read errors from ~816 to 10015.

The CloneDB and detect program says CD2 is SD.

At 8X burn often there is a write failure at about 80%:
“MEDIUM ERROR…(3:0x0c:0x07)”. Such was observed on std CMC blank(silver blue >=8x) and 80min CMC blank(silver blue >=8x). Such also occurs regardless if the 8/20 or SD-M1201 being the read source. The same HW, blanks and CloneCD will flawlessly copy non protected full MSDN data CDs every time at max read and 8X burn.
No buffer underrun occurs as the buffer remains over 85% until the failure and error message arrives.

The OED2 CD#2 will burn successfully at 4X to either blank. All this again appears to be independent of read source. The copy of CD2 when read in the 8/20 shows the correct label and identifies a datacd but it’s flawed and gives read failure. Can’t do a DIR from the DOS propmpt nor get Explorer to show anything. When read in the SD-M1201 it mostly hangs and sometimes identifies a audioCD. That same copy of CD2 in another machine W98SE + Ultraplex 32x 1.03 always shows audioCD. The original CD2 is a datacd with over 650MB of files visible in the DIR tree on any of the machines/drives.

Please help.

It seems to me like the medium you used it crappy. There’s no difference in writing a non-protected or a copy-protected disc since CloneCD uses the same writing method for both types. I think it was just luck one did work and the other did not.

How many times have you tried and have you used different media?

Please let me know!

It is not the media. Three different types of media used at 2x, 4x and 8X. All produce CDs that are an invalid format OR at 8x the burn fails. 15 different attempts. Every attempt that does have a burn failure(8x cases) produces a CD of invalid format.

These media at 8x work flawlessly with CloneCD and non protected CDs and with EZCD at 8x also on the 8/20.

It’s appears that there is something on OED CD that triggers a bug in CloneCD and causes it to write an invalid CD format.

A special CloneCD trap could be the problem since lupicupi already said something about this:

special clone trap
Olli you are right!
I read in an other forum that if you create two files: debscr.sp and debug.sp in the c:\ directory, launching the game you can see on the left of the screen : “clone cd v2.0 solved”. I can confirm it cause I’ve tried it.

Read this topic for more info.

Note that I cannot confirm this but maybe you should contact him and ask him for details. Please post your experiences if you succeed in this matter!

There was a critical error in wording in my previous post in this thread: "Every attempt that does have a burn failure(8x cases) produces a CD of invalid format. "

What I meant to say was: Every attempt that does NOT have a burn failure(8x cases) produces a CD of invalid format. When there’s a burn failure then one assumes the CD is bad. When the burn completes normally then one assumes that the CD produced is at least a valid Windows or music format.

I read the whole thread about “special clone trap”. That regards whether copy protection is bypassed successfully and if the copied CD works in the intended fashion AFTER Windows has seen and mounted the CD.

The issue here is that the original CD is a data CD that contains over 630MB of files visible in the directory tree. CloneCD is incapable of creating a valid data CD that Windows can recognize. This issue must be resolved before addressing the SD copy protection issues.

The issue here is that the original CD is a data CD that contains over 630MB of files visible in the directory tree. CloneCD is incapable of creating a valid data CD that Windows can recognize. This issue must be resolved before addressing the SD copy protection issues.

I know but I mentioned that topic to let you contact lupicupi… who said he had tried it himself. There could be a CloneCD trap build in to prevent CloneCD from making a valid TOC. Like I said I cannot confirm this since I have never encountered this, but it seems very strange that the first disc goed Ok and the second one just doesn’t want to be copied… eventhough the normal SafeDisc protection just relies on error sectors.

The only thing I can advise you is to upgrade to the latest CloneCD version (2.8.5.2 or 3.0.0.11) and give it a go.

You could do some tests with normal protected SafeDisc games. These should work without any problems.