CloneCD: Copying SecuROM 4.8x protected games

nice work philamber :cool:

[Note: Guide can now be found here.]

excellent and well written bro :slight_smile:

thats it lay down the law man !!!

philamber’s pretty cool for an Aussie you know
:cool:

This is why I come to the fourms for people like you =) But I find using WINISO and burning with Fireburner better off. Cause ever since I tried copying WarCraft III with Clone CD when it first came out I have a scratch on the disc now. Atleast with WINISO I have the game ISO on my Hard Drive so I don’t have to put the CD in anymore to copy it. But I understand the real challenge is 1:1

Thank you very much for this guide.

I have one question. You write that the best Blindwrite version for SecuRom 4.8x is 4.2.5 - does that mean that I have to use the BWA builder from that version in order to create a good .bwa file for the CloneD/Twinpeak method or can I use the latest version (currently 4.3)?

The fact that 4.2.5 is the best version of blindwrite for securom back-ups doesn’t mean that its version of the bwa builder is the best. Most people regard that from 4.2.8 and 4.2.9 as superior to that from 4.2.5.

You can almost certainly use the bwa builder from 4.3, though I haven’t tested that version personally. In any case, try it for yourself and let us know what your results are like.

Originally posted by gouki_akuma

philamber’s pretty cool for an Aussie you know

Yeah, and I even know how to say Whenuapai (and it doesn’t start like White;))

oh yeah … tnakx man … this is a REALY good way to copy games like UT2003 … I’ll do my Unreal2 cd later … since I don’t play that alot since I have walkthru that game already ( easy ) , by Ut2003 is used all the time , and I have used up one cdr backup of that game aready … and thanks again

If a copy made with this method does not want to run at all: Read a CloneCD of the copy. If it shows bad sectors, although the original disc does not have any, then you can stop any further attempts. Your drive can then not read twinsectors and will never work with this method

Geez I guess I was not supposed to have been able to have copied UT 2003 then?

I used CloneCD 4 BETA 9. Made an image, dropped a blank CD in, never touched a setting, choose GameCD and burnt a perfect copy!

Done NASCAR 2003 also. It also uses SecuROM latest.

Read this thread please; http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65042

Cheers,
Mike
PS I forgot, I can read my copies off my Kenwood 72X just as easy as I can my burner!

Originally posted by Mike360000
[B]Geez I guess I was not supposed to have been able to have copied UT 2003 then?

I used CloneCD 4 BETA 9. Made an image, dropped a blank CD in, never touched a setting, choose GameCD and burnt a perfect copy!

Done NASCAR 2003 also. It also uses SecuROM latest.

Read this thread please; http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65042

Cheers,
Mike
PS I forgot, I can read my copies off my Kenwood 72X just as easy as I can my burner! [/B]
This has been reported, it’s a bug in SecuROM.

Originally posted by FutureProof
This has been reported, it’s a bug in SecuROM.

Could you elaborate more on this?
Consider that I’ve already copied 2 different games using this protection.

Cheers,
Mike

As a result of a bug, there is the occasional fluke copy of securom 4.8x that’s successful without twinpeak patching. Similarly there have been occasional fluke copies of cd-cops and starforce protected cds in the past. Just consider yourself very lucky.

Remember that even olli says that CloneCD can’t copy securom 4.8x by itself. From this thread:

"
quote:

Originally posted by Riko
First sorry for my English . Is this version able to copy SecuromNEW v4 ??? Or I must use TwinPeaks??? Thanx for answer.

As physical layout isn’t emulated yet by HideCDR, SecuROM “SuperNew”, ProtectCD5 and StarForce won’t work yet.

I have saved the fun for a future (maybe the next?) release.

Cheers,

Olli"

Thnx for all the detailed info man!
Great job, well written!

@Philamber: Thanks a million dude ! found the solution to my problems in here ! you the man ! :smiley:

@The_matrix: Dutch MOUNTAINS??? :smiley: :smiley: limburg zekers? hehehe

This is a really comprehensive post! Thanks so much philamber, I really appriecate this info. Goes to show that if a jobs worth doing, its worth doing well!

Unusually, I found that I’m getting the best bwa files reading at 48x on my Asus CRW-4816A. These discs are working on three different drives on my three machines. Guess I’m just lucky…

Cheers fella. Just what I wanted to know!
CM4 done as above.

This has got to be one of the most informative posts I have seen ever. Thank you very much for your hard work. I come here a lot but post very little, use the search find what I need and go. So I decided to say thanx and to let you know that I made a copy of cm4 using the same method. One bit of advice that I have found to be one of the best money savers of all is just to buy a few CD-RW try and try again. NO coasters man. Once again thank you and thanx for a brilliant forum.:cool: :cool: :cool:

First off, thanks for posting such a thorough and clear explanation! I especially like the preemptive strike on noobs and flame-baiters.

QUESTION: With a patched CloneCD image, will it work with the VirtualCD feature?

Reason: I hate having to load the CD every time I want to play. I also hate having my CD drive spin up just so it can run it’s check. Running UT2003 benchmark is brutal on the drive!

The Q3A guys were generous enough to remove CD checking in a patch. I am more likely to play Q3A over UT2K3 just because I don’t have to find and load the stupid CD.

In fact, I would pay a small premium to the game developer to remove the copy protection check. I hate it that much!

Originally posted by tedgyz
QUESTION: With a patched CloneCD image, will it work with the VirtualCD feature?

No idea but I seriously doubt it. Try it and report back. :slight_smile: