CloneCD changing drive's reading speeds?

vbimport

I think I may have a weird problem (but who knows…maybe this is completely normal :confused: ). When I try to copy a cd (any cd) with the newest version of CCD or any version for that matter, it seems slower than it should for some reason. I like copying on the fly with most cds since it saves time of having to create an image to the HD. I have a LTD-163 and a LTR-48246S…both of these are rated at 48x maximum read (I am pretty confident on these values), but the max write speed I can get out of CCD when copying a cd on the fly is around 16X…now why did I suddenly switch to burning speeds??? Because I have always thought that the writer could only write as fast as the reader could send it data (in this case the LTD-163 is the reader). I ran Nero Drivespeed during an actual burn and I am getting some very strange results. The max read speed for the LTD-163 was 12X and the max read speed for the LTR-48246S was 20X!!! Here is something else that is strange…When the burn finishes and I close CCD, and then I rerun Drivespeed I get max read speeds of 48X for both drives! Is my CCD locking my drive speeds? Is there something I am doing wrong? Could this be a firmware problem? I am seriously thinking of switching over to Alcohol 120% completely, if CCD is to blame for this very weird problem.

These are my current firmwares that I am using:
-LTD-163: GH5Q (region free) - tried updating to latest, but seemed to make the drive’s read speed even slower :eek:
-LTR-48246S: SS0B

Thanks

are both the reader and writer on the same ide channel? this can cause dramatic slowdowns with on the fly copying with any program

Moved to Lite-On Forum. I don’t suspect CloneCD.

Yes the LTD-163 (reader) is set to Master on the secondary IDE, and the LTR-48246S (writer) is set to Slave on the same channel…I guess I will just have to find a way to move the drives to separate channels.

Originally posted by zeeter
Yes the LTD-163 (reader) is set to Master on the secondary IDE, and the LTR-48246S (writer) is set to Slave on the same channel…I guess I will just have to find a way to move the drives to separate channels.
The ATA4 Command & Queuing Protocol looks after UDMA devices on the one chain. Both devices are busmasters and will arbitrate where necessary. Have you installed the latest chipset drivers and is DMA enabled? Correct cabling for ATA66+ disks? Uninstall CloneCD, reboot, choose a custom install, uncheck the virtual drive, install and reboot

STILL NOT WORKING!!! Now it seems as though my drive’s speeds have dropped in all programs, and I have no idea why!! I have tried reinstalling CCD and Alcohol but no luck…my drives are set to Ultra DMA 2 in windows xp sp1…I installed the newest VIA 4in1 Hyperion drivers, and then installed some older ones (4.43)…I don’t know what is wrong, this was working a couple weeks ago perfectly.

Any ideas on what is wrong or how it can be fixed?
Thanks

I just ordered Alcohol 120% and a new XJ-HD166S DVD-Rom…I know that this drive probably won’t be much different than the LTD-163 that I currently have, but it is newer and might provide a little performance increase and allow me to read all the current dvd formats…I might try moving my HD’s around and put the DVD-Rom on my primary master IDE channel, and then put the burner on my secondary master IDE channel, to see if I can get some more performance that way too…I still don’t understand why NERO DriveSpeed keeps giving me random max read speeds for my LTD-163…I have tried different firmwares and that doesn’t seem to help, maybe my drive is damaged somehow…oh well, I have had this one at least a year and have been very happy with it. It never hurts to upgrade :smiley: :smiley: