CloneCD CAN read Safedisc v2.80.010

I did the following experiment:

Reader: Lite-On LTD 163 GH5Q
Writer: Lite-On LTR-24102B 5S5A

Read Sims Unleashed with DDUMP 1.10
Read Sims Unleashed with CloneCD 4.0.1.10 (using SD No AWS profile of Gamefreak and Futureproof, which applies to my reader/writer)

Compare image files with FC/B
Iso file and Img file are exact copy

Burn CD-R with CloneCD (using SD no AWS profile) using the earlier generated CloneCD files and max write to 8x

Start CD-R: back-up doesn’t work (error while starting game)

Read back-upped CD-R with CloneCD again (same reading settings as before)

Rename .IMG file to .ISO
Modify CUE file to reflect name change

Burn CUE file using Burn Image with Nero 5.5.9.0 (max write 8x + DAO/96)

Start 2nd CD-R: back-up works! (But starts slow)

What this proofs:
1 CloneCD reads the image file correctly!
2 Something goes wrong with the writing by CloneCD (and I heavily suspect the writing of the subchannels, although subschannel reading is off. This might also explain why the Nero back-up starts slower than the original)
3 You can back-up Sims Unleashed by reading with CloneCD, renaming the image, modify CUE file and than burn it with Nero

Compugup

Sounds interesting, but using Discdump is a lot easier. Renaming the IMG to ISO can sometimes cause corruptions. Somebody reported success copying Safedisc 2.8 with Clone CD 3.3.4.1. Sounds like a cool idea though, glad it worked for you.

Reading with CloneCD and burning the image with FantomCD fails for me with my Lite-On 24x.
So far the only good burn I have is from DDump + Fireburner.
Even burnatonce made me a coaster.

Cheers

The CloneCD image runs from Daemon Tools without emulation however.

Originally posted by compugup
Something goes wrong with the writing by CloneCD (and I heavily suspect the writing of the subchannels, although subschannel reading is off. This might also explain why the Nero back-up starts slower than the original)

It can’t have anything to do with sub-channel writing as the sub-channels don’t form any part of the protection.

As for the reason why the nero back-up loads slower than the original, it’s simply a case of nero’s dao96 writing mode not being all that good yet (dao96 writing only being introduced comparatively recently into nero with v. 5.5.6.4).

If, on the other hand, you burn an image with fireburner, you’ll find that the copy loads just as quickly as the original.

To burn this new SafeDisc, I understand I can run discdump to get an image. But its an ISO, what ettings do I use in Nero (cause clonecd dont read ISO) to burn this image. What speed…etc…???

thanks

Instructions for using discdump in combination with nero can be found here .

I made a coaster of SD2 with Nero after using DDump, burned it fine with Fireburner, AS WELL AS CD Mate.

Originally posted by CCDKing
I made a coaster of SD2 with Nero after using DDump, burned it fine with Fireburner, AS WELL AS CD Mate.

It appears that nero isn’t wholly reliable as it sometimes corrects the errors, particularly when the image is burnt in standard dao mode rather than dao96.

Did another experiment:

1 Used CloneCD for reading configured as stated in my first post with CUE sheet generation enabled.

2 Burned with Fireburn 2.1.1 (2.1.7 has problems) speed 16x DAO96/Close CD/Burn Proof ticked

3 Working back-up!

CCDKing: in fact the renaming is not necessary if you load the cue sheet with Nero

KitnaIsntHappy/Philamber: according the above experiment ddump isn’t needed

Philamber: I agree that the subchannels are not the logic explanation

Compugup

Nice info, compugup :slight_smile: So CloneCD with CUE generation and Nero will also do the trick. I prefer CloneCD reading over DDump reading since the latter is slower and not so easy to use. Personal opinion :wink:

I’m glad that I can still use CCD and Nero, although I’m very tempted to get a copy of CD Mate as more good reports are coming in the forums.

Question for the techies, answers in simple terms so I can understand them though please; Why would you need to burn DAO/96 if the subchannels are not part of the protection?

Nothing technical about it. The reason for using dao96 is to force nero to write the image raw. On my writer, and it appears a number of others, nero has the annoying habit of correcting the errors that are supposed to be there when its standard dao mode is used.

This shouldn’t happen but regrettably does in a number of cases and is particularly irritating because the simple fact is that nero’s dao96 mode just isn’t as good as its standard dao mode (the cds take considerably longer to read in most cases).

Thanks philamber.

So if Nero is not up to scratch with it’s raw writing, could the CCD image and cue sheet be written by CD Mate instead of CCD and expected to work? Or should I just copy it straight off with CD Mate as CCDKing suggests?

After all the only reason for writing the disk with something else is because the CCD/Lite-On combo has been beaten [probably by design] for this release.

I don’t really want to go out and buy copies of loads of different programs, I’d prefer to stick with 2, but it looks like I’m going to need a 3rd. My guess is that CD Mate is the one to go for - unless you guys have other suggestions?