CloneCd & AWS

vbimport

I am somewhat confused about what exactly amplify weak sectors does, how it does it, when its supposed to be used and why. Also I read somewhere that using AWS means its not a real 1:1 copy. Can anyone here with knowledge enough give an elaborate simple explaination of this?

I mean to me personally, I just like for a backup of my game to be able to run from any cd-rom without any emulation or third party software installed. Even if “AWS” means something is somehow manipulated a bit, as long as a backup runs like the original, its a 1:1 copy in my book. If I wanna run a game on my PC with the original, and later that day take my laptop to my friends for a network battle, I wanna be able to grab my copy and leave the original in a safe spot at home.

Also, how do I know if my burner can support AWS, and to what extent it can support it? Last Safedisc games I tried to backup, and was successful was Age of empiresII and the expansion for II. I also made a successful backup of WarcraftIII, as well as Cossacks: European Wars.(If this helps anyone to determine anything). I curretly have Age of mythology, its still sealed, but I wanna know if I can even try to back it up or if I should not even bother. Oh yeah, my burner is an old 6x Samsung (Samsung SW-206). And yes I have a Toshiba DVd to use as a reader.

I am somewhat confused about what exactly amplify weak sectors does, how it does it, when its supposed to be used and why. Also I read somewhere that using AWS means its not a real 1:1 copy. Can anyone here with knowledge enough give an elaborate simple explaination of this?
AWS does nothing more than helping the writer write regular bit patterns on a CD (before any tech personal will correct me on this, he asks for a SIMPLE explanation! ;)). It’s used for the SafeDisc 2 protection since that protection has so-called weak sectors. A simple explanation can be found here. You only need it when copying the SafeDisc 2 protection, it’s useless for other protections such as SecuROm which is used on Warcraft III. An AWS copy of a SafeDisc 2 game can be considered a 1:1 copy as far as I’m concerned: it will run from all drives (note that sometimes you will need to Hide the CD-R Media though, nothing you can do about this). More information on your writer can be found via the CloneCD website. When your drive has 0 or 1 sheep: you need AWS to copy SafeDisc 2. When your drive has 2 sheeps then you don’t need it. In CloneCD you could use the Protected PC Game Profiles in most cases. That will do the trick most of the times.

A simple explanation can be found here.

The last line there is interesting:
@^%%Hmmz… a database error has popped up… Please try by refreshing your browser.
:bigsmile:

Hmm yes there seems to be something wrong with CD Freaks user reaction’ database as this also happens with regular newsposts… I’ll notify the man in charge to fix it :wink:

Well put and those links were most helpful. I understand it now. I guess I will try to backup my Age of Mythology with AWS on some time later today. There are 2 cd’s to the game, does anyone know if one or both are protected? I will post my results after my attempts.

The backup I made will only run when I have “Hide CDR Media” enabled. Why is that? And I thought that was to hide the ATIP info from the blank medium, why does it affect non-CDR drives as well. The game runs from any of my 3 drives (even the 2 non-CDR drives) with this feature enabled. Is this some sort of emulation? Isn’t that like cheating?

Anyone??? ideas? why?

Originally posted by xtacydima
Anyone??? ideas? why?
There are also non CDR drives that can read ATIP info unfortunately … It could be that your other drives can read ATIP too

@xtacydima, if you have used CCD4202 with the new SD2.51+ standard profile, then it is using the new emulation option by default. You can verify this by right clicking on the icon before burning and choose editing. If it is the case, you indeed need the “hide CDR” always on, even with CD/DVD readers, as “hide CDR” now also has the function to translate the emulation commands stored on the copy (if any). If you want to use AWS and no emulation, select the option “Amplify” while editing the game profile just before burning. Bill

Hey Bill, I just checked, my default option was Amplify, not emulate, although I am glad you pointed out for me to check from now on. I gues my burner just doesn’t support the new safedisc to make 1:1 copies without having the need to have “HIDE CDR MEDIA” option enabled. The only reason this is annoying is that I like to play games via network when taking my laptop to my friends house. I like to keep the laptop with minimal software, and it has no need to have clonecd on it, so I don’t have access to the cloneCD tray. I think its just time to upgrade to a newer burner and not waste peoples time here on the forum with getting old pc peripherals to work.

I noticed the banner in the upper left hand corner for a 52x Lite-On fo rjust $80. I am considering but want want to see what happens when safedisc 2.9 hits the lite-ons in the market.

I gues my burner just doesn’t support the new safedisc to make 1:1 copies without having the need to have “HIDE CDR MEDIA” option enabled
This has nothing to do with your burner being old and all. Nomatter which burner you use to run the backup from, you will always have to use “hide CDR media” or any similar feature to play from the cdr drive. You will also have to use it when playing for DVD drives that can read ATIP.

As Bill already stated you will also have to use it every time when you have created a copy with emulation and not amplification of the weak sectors.

How would I, or how does one know what non cdr drives read the ATIP. You said some DVD drives read it, what about regular CD-ROMS? Is there a list available anywhere with such information. I have a Toshiba DVD-ROM and a generic 52x cd-rom in addition to my burner drive. I never use emuation, but I think I might have to from now on.

Is it possible to somehow install the ClonCD tray and not CloneCD? This would resolve my laptop situation. I would just burn another copy with emulation feature turned on, sounds like it might be more of a guarantee to work.

Thanks all…

How would I, or how does one know what non cdr drives read the ATIP. You said some DVD drives read it, what about regular CD-ROMS?
Well, simply create a back-up of a SafeDisc v2.40+ protected disc with weak sectors amplification disabled or amplified (don’t use emulate) and see if the game runs from your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM without having to enable Hide CDR Media. That’s the best method to test it really…

Is it possible to somehow install the ClonCD tray and not CloneCD? This would resolve my laptop situation. I would just burn another copy with emulation feature turned on, sounds like it might be more of a guarantee to work.
Nope, not to my knowledge. The CloneCD tray is part of CloneCD. You need CloneCD to be able to use its tray…

I believe that the tray program will stand-alone, Sven mentioned something about it; don’t know which .DLLs are required. I will check tonight.

That would be neat FutureProof. If you can find that out I think it would also solve many other people’s problems similar to this.

Thanks to everyone who contributed an answer…:smiley:

I renamed evey file in the CloneCD subdirectory to filename.??_ that is, I just changed the last char of the file extention to an underscore. That left CloneCDTray.exe. The tray starts and works except you can’t start CloneCD (of course).

So,

Install CloneCD, but not the virtual drive
delete the child directories for “CloneCD” subdirectory
delete all files in “ConeCD” subdirectory except:

ccd-uninst.exe
ccd-uninst.ini
CloneCDTray.exe

or be prepared to reinstall CloneCD in order to uninstall everything if needed.

Awesome thanks. I will try it.

do you have to buy CloneCD 4.2.0.2 or can you downlaod it free

Under the terms of the Evaluation Licence, you use it for 30 days then buy a key or delete the app

OK I got the cloneCD tray on my latop. Enabled HIDE CDR MEDIA. I tried my backup but it keeps freezing windows or sometimes just spins up like crazy trying to be read. It works fine on my drives though on my PC where it was made. I am baffled.