CloneCD 4 Beta 21 - Read Speed Bug

vbimport

Here, take a look at this log...it might seem ok at first, but then look a little closer at the speed I asked it to read at, and then duration of operation - It finished way to quick to be reading at the correct speed. I tried various settings but it always seemed to want to read at maximum speed.

I 20:01:52 Starting copy from PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-40TS to G:\Test.ccd
I 20:01:52 Read Speed for Data Tracks: 4x
I 20:01:52 Read Speed for Audio Tracks: 2x
I 20:01:52 Read SubChannel Data from Data Tracks: No
I 20:01:52 Read SubChannel Data from Audio Tracks: No
I 20:01:52 Fast Error Skip: No
I 20:01:52 Don't report read errors: No
I 20:01:52 Intelligent Bad Sector Scanner: No
I 20:01:52 CD contains CD-Text: No
I 20:01:52 Reading Track 1... (Blocks 0-135576)
I 20:03:05 Duration of operation: 00:01:13
I 20:03:05 Average Speed: 4358 kBytes/s (24.76)
I 20:03:05 Reading finished!

I know that plextor cdroms aren't exactly 'mmc compliant' Olli, but im sure the old version (3.x.x.x) of CloneCD worked just fine.
Is this just something you've left out because it's in beta stage, or is it actually a bug?

I’m using Beta 9 and seemed to go fine.

I 1:12:46 PM Starting copy from LITE-ON LTR-32123S to D:\Crap\Test.ccd
I 1:12:46 PM Read Speed for Data Tracks: 4x
I 1:12:46 PM Read Speed for Audio Tracks: 8x
I 1:12:46 PM Read SubChannel Data from Data Tracks: No
I 1:12:46 PM Read SubChannel Data from Audio Tracks: No
I 1:12:46 PM Fast Error Skip: No
I 1:12:46 PM Don’t report read errors: No
I 1:12:46 PM Intelligent Bad Sector Scanner: No
I 1:12:46 PM CD contains CD-Text: No
I 1:12:46 PM Reading Track 1… (Blocks 0-357121)
I 1:15:18 PM Duration of operation: 00:02:31
I 1:15:18 PM Average Speed: 690 kBytes/s (3.92
I 1:15:18 PM Reading finished!

Originally posted by LIGHTNING UK!
I 20:03:05 Average Speed: 4358 kBytes/s (24.76)
Olli has already discovered that the entry is not accurate & I guess he’s workin’ on it! I got 44x as an average off my 24102B!!

LOL, that may well be the case…but im not talking about the speed indicator (which I bet he stole from my program :wink:

A disc shouldnt be read in 3 minutes at 4x! It should be more like 16 minutes. CloneCD isnt selecting the correct speed for the drive.

Hi Lightning UK,

> LOL, that may well be the case…but im not talking about the speed indicator (which I bet he stole from my program :wink: <

Although I am a big fan of your program, I haven’t stolen it, really!
I just wanted to know myself, how fast things are going!

> A disc shouldnt be read in 3 minutes at 4x! It should be more like 16 minutes. CloneCD isnt selecting the correct speed for the drive. <

Speed setting for the Ultraplex isn’t really working right, I know. Same for all non MMC drives (the UltraPlex isn’t MMC).

The setting is simply “the less the number, the slower”. You can’t rely on the selected speed at all.

I am not sure, if I’m going to fix this.

Olli,

Nice to finally hear from the man himself! :stuck_out_tongue:

I actually wrote a nice little speed conversion / setting function (in Borland C++ Builder) for all the plextor readers if you are interested…it will save you time working out all the speed settings!

To this day, I’ve never understood why Plextor didnt make their CDROMs MMC compliant. The writers are, but not the readers…how weird!

As for the selected speeds, you could quickly do what I do…that is, set the speed and then check its ‘roughly’ what you wanted it to be. I just display a little message saying something like ‘?x speed not supported - actual speed is ?x’

BTW, is the ‘safe mode (WNASPI32)’ still present in v4?

Hi Lightning UK,

Originally posted by LIGHTNING UK!
[B]Olli,

Nice to finally hear from the man himself! :stuck_out_tongue:

I actually wrote a nice little speed conversion / setting function (in Borland C++ Builder) for all the plextor readers if you are interested…it will save you time working out all the speed settings!

To this day, I’ve never understood why Plextor didnt make their CDROMs MMC compliant. The writers are, but not the readers…how weird!

As for the selected speeds, you could quickly do what I do…that is, set the speed and then check its ‘roughly’ what you wanted it to be. I just display a little message saying something like ‘?x speed not supported - actual speed is ?x’

BTW, is the ‘safe mode (WNASPI32)’ still present in v4? [/B]

I think I should contact you by private mail… you indeed can probably help me out in several areas if you like.

Regarding “Safe Mode”: No, CloneCD4 doesn’t support WnASPI32 any more. And I would love if DVD Decrypter could get rid of ASPI as well (Adaptec ASPI still doesn’t support my FireWire drives, and still has severe plug-and-play problems).
I would be happy to help you, if you like.

Olli,

I think I should contact you by private mail… you indeed can probably help me out in several areas if you like.

Please do :slight_smile:

I’d be happy to help you, and if you can help me…even better!