CloneBD Review

vbimport

CloneBD, a new program for compressing Blu-ray or converting to MKV or MP4 files, has been released by Elaborate Bytes, and is the subject of my review today. Elaborate Bytes is probably best known for its program CloneDVD, which has proved to be a reliable program for compressing DVD-video.

Like earlier Elaborate Bytes software, CloneBD does not include any type of decryption for commercial movies, so if you are working with movies released by the major studios, you must decrypt first. AnyDVD HD is highly recommended for this purpose, though MakeMKV can also decrypt and rip an entire movie to the hard drive. As indicated by its name, CloneBD accepts only Blu-ray format video as input. The program does not yet work with 3D Blu-ray.

Output from CloneBD can be Blu-ray format to fit BD-50, BD-25, DVD-9 or DVD-5 discs, or you can set it for a custom size. You can also make MP4 or MKV files, and you can set the program to produce video that is optimized for a specific type of portable hardware.

Here is the main screen for CloneBD:

All testing of the program was done in a single computer, based on an Intel 3570K cpu running at stock speed of 3.4ghz. Video was also supplied by the cpu, in the form of the Intel HD Graphics 4000. This computer has several storage drives, 8gb of ram, and is running Windows 8.1.

Testing of video output was done in Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater 5, TMT 6, and PowerDVD 13. Screenshots were made in PotPlayer 1.6.51791.

Input was in the form of decrypted Blu-ray folders on hard drives. I never encode straight from the original disc, even though I normally use AnyDVD HD for decryption.

The edition of CloneBD tested in this review is 1.0.2.5.

Now on to the first test. The movie I have selected is an animated film called [I]How to Train Your Dragon 2. [/I] After clicking the Open folder button in the middle of the main screen, you navigate to the area on your hard drive with the decrypted movie, and import it into the program. Here is the next screen you will see:

The programmers at Elby have done some extra work to make the process a bit prettier, as they retrieve shots of the movie to include in this window.

The next step is to select the type of output, and you can find that control on this window as well. Clicking on the double disc icon will allow you to make copy for a Blu-ray disc or ISO. Clicking on the other icon above the Main Feature will give you an MKV or MP4 file made for portable devices.

I chose to make a Blu-ray meant for a 25gb disc. So, here is the next control that appears:

My object in this encode was a partial copy, in this case, a main movie only, with no menu.

There is quite a lot included here, but my primary interest is in the first line, where the main movie appears. Clicking on the brown Settings button at the far right on that first line, I was able to select the audio stream I wanted and one subtitle stream. I chose to keep the original DTS HD MA audio.

If you want any of the bonus materials included, you need to put a check mark in the box at the left side of the line for that particular bonus track.

Clicking on Continue, we see this next screen, where you can select the size of your output. You also have the option to select just the core audio, instead of the complete HD audio stream.

Controls on this page are fairly crude, and incomplete. There is virtually no way to adjust the encoder except by the sliding scale, which presumably changes the bitrate and the resulting file size. I could find no way, for example, to make the Blu-ray output a 720p resolution, rather than the original 1080p.

Clicking on the Begin Conversion button at the bottom right should have started the encoding process, but unfortunately, ClownBD crashed at this point.

I started over and tried to make a full copy, then an MKV, but nothing changed and CloneBD crashed every time I tried to work with this movie. This is not an uncommon occurrence with this program unfortunately. The support forum for CloneBD at the Slysoft forums, and here at MyCE are full of threads showing problems with this relatively new program.

This is a serious issue for ClownBD, since I have worked with this movie using several free programs and one other commercial program and none of them have had issues compressing this movie or converting to other formats. As a commercial release, this behavior from CloneBD is simply unacceptable.

Moving on to the next test, I selected the movie [I]Pitch Perfect[/I]. (yes, I know, something of a chick flick, but I’m a sucker for Anna Kendrick). This movie was released in H264 AVC and uses DTS HD MA audio. Original size of the main movie was approximately 30gb.

Again, I was trying for a good quality BD-25 encode.

There was one feature of the program that I neglected in my first run through, and that is the preview window. You can get an idea of your output quality by clicking on the main movie line in the Selection window. Here is a shot of the preview window:

Two hours later, and I have a copy of [I]Pitch Perfect[/I] from CloneBD. The movie does play in my software players, and video quality is reasonably good, but all is not well.

Here is the MediaInfo file from the conversion:

General
ID                                       : 0 (0x0)
Complete name                            : F:\AVS Output\CloneBD\Pitch Perfect\BDMV\STREAM\00023.m2ts
Format                                   : BDAV
Format/Info                              : Blu-ray Video
File size                                : 20.1 GiB
Duration                                 : 1h 52mn
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 25.6 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 48.0 Mbps

Video
ID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : Main@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : 27
Nominal bit rate                         : 20.8 Mbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Variable
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Writing library                          : x264 core 142 r2453 ea0ca51
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=1 / deblock=0:0:0 / analyse=0:0 / me=dia / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=4 / chroma_me=0 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=4 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / slices=4 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=2 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=0 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=0 / open_gop=1 / weightp=0 / keyint=24 / keyint_min=13 / scenecut=0 / intra_refresh=0 / rc=abr / mbtree=0 / bitrate=20824 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.50 / qpmin=2 / qpmax=31 / qpstep=3 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.25 / aq=0

Audio
ID                                       : 4352 (0x1100)
Format                                   : DTS
Format/Info                              : Digital Theater Systems
Format profile                           : MA / Core
Mode                                     : 16
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Muxing mode                              : Stream extension
Codec ID                                 : 134
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : Unknown / 1 509 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossless / Lossy
Delay relative to video                  : -225ms

Text #1
ID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)-608
Format                                   : EIA-608
Muxing mode                              : A/53 / DTVCC Transport
Muxing mode, more info                   : Muxed in Video #1
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Stream size                              : 0.00 Byte (0%)

Text #2
ID                                       : 4608 (0x1200)
Format                                   : PGS
Codec ID                                 : 144

The frame rate has been changed from 23.976 to variable frame rate, for no discernible or good reason. I do not know for certain if this is actually what has been done to the video, or if MediaInfo is misreporting the frame rate somehow, but I would love to see some documentation somewhere that shows that the Blu-ray specifications actually allow variable frame rate. There is a setting in X264 to insure Blu-ray compatibility, and it is not used, which is surprising.

A second, lesser issue is that the output size is considerably smaller than the 23gb target. 20gb is very much undersized.

But the biggest flaw in the output is that the audio is out of sync very slightly with the video. The audio is slightly ahead of the video all the way through, and this is very annoying when watching people converse.

Because of the audio/video sync issue, I would have to rate this as the second straight failure by CloneBD in my testing.

The third test is a conversion of the movie [I]Blade Runner The Final Edition[/I] to an MKV file small enough to fit onto a DL layer DVD. [I]Blade Runner [/I] was released to Blu-ray with VC-1 video codec and Dolby True HD audio. For this smaller sized copy, I converted the audio to 5.1 AC3. There was no option to retain the HD audio, which is a decision made by the developers that I agree with when making a copy that is so much smaller than the original movie. Too much space would have been taken up by HD audio. I also reduced the resolution to 720p in hopes of maximizing visual quality.

Blade Runner has a lot of dark scenes, and it is easy to spot compression artifacts or banding in those dark backgrounds.

The main movie is originally about 21.5gb, so CloneBD compressed the movie to roughly 1/3rd of its normal size, and completed the encode in one hour.

Here are two screenshots. The first link is from the original movie. The second comes from the 7gb copy made by CloneBD.

http://upload.cdfreaks.com/Kerry56/BladeRunner Final Original 90680.png

http://upload.cdfreaks.com/Kerry56/Bladerunner Final CloneBD version 90680.png

The quality of the picture is really not bad at all for being such a smaller bitrate. The details of her coat are lost, and it is much darker. Her face is also blurred out, but in general, this would be very good in a portable device.

This copy uses constant frame rate, just the same as the original, and does not have audio/visual sync issues. This result is a success on a movie that poses some difficulty in copying well.

And here you can see the MediaInfo information from this MKV file:

General
Unique ID                                : 324477295047587681333824425966133157324 (0xF41C0DCB1E551247256F68FACEAD9DCC)
Complete name                            : F:\AVS Output\CloneBD\Bladerunner Final - Main feature.mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 2
File size                                : 7.04 GiB
Duration                                 : 1h 57mn
Overall bit rate                         : 8 566 Kbps
Writing application                      : Lavf55.20.0
Writing library                          : Lavf55.20.0

Video
ID                                       : 2
Format profile                           : Main@L3.2
Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=24
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                                 : 8 005 Kbps
Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                                   : 720 pixels
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 fps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.362
Stream size                              : 6.37 GiB (91%)
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=1 / deblock=0:0:0 / analyse=0:0 / me=dia / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=4 / chroma_me=0 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=4 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / slices=4 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=2 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=0 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=0 / open_gop=1 / weightp=0 / keyint=24 / keyint_min=13 / scenecut=0 / intra_refresh=0 / rc=abr / mbtree=0 / bitrate=8005 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.50 / qpmin=2 / qpmax=31 / qpstep=3 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.25 / aq=0
Default                                  : No
Forced                                   : No

Audio
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)
Codec ID                                 : A_AC3
Bit rate                                 : 640 Kbps
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Delay relative to video                  : 1mn 5s
Stream size                              : 538 MiB (7%)
Language                                 : English

Examining these specifications shows that CloneBD is not using the High profile, and many of the encoding choices have been made to help optimize speed.

The last movie that I used for the review was [I]Super 8[/I]. This movie was released to Blu-ray using H264 and Dolby True HD Audio. During testing of the beta versions of CloneBD, this movie caused problems again and again, so I thought I would try it once more with the current version.

I chose to make a complete copy this time, with a 23gb target. Unfortunately, CloneBD misfired once more with this particular movie, and though it made a complete copy, the output size was only 6gb. Since it retained the original HD audio, the video in this copy was extremely poor quality.

Here is the MediaInfo file:

General
ID                                       : 0 (0x0)
Complete name                            : F:\AVS Output\CloneBD\Super 8\BDMV\STREAM\00000.m2ts
Format                                   : BDAV
Format/Info                              : Blu-ray Video
File size                                : 6.07 GiB
Duration                                 : 15h 7mn
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 957 Kbps
Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 48.0 Mbps

Video
ID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)
Format profile                           : Main@L4.0
Codec ID                                 : 27
Bit rate                                 : 269 Kbps
Nominal bit rate                         : 2 025 Kbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Frame rate mode                          : Variable
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=1 / deblock=0:0:0 / analyse=0:0 / me=dia / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=4 / chroma_me=0 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=4 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / slices=4 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=2 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=0 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=0 / open_gop=1 / weightp=0 / keyint=24 / keyint_min=13 / scenecut=0 / intra_refresh=0 / rc=abr / mbtree=0 / bitrate=2025 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.50 / qpmin=2 / qpmax=31 / qpstep=3 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.25 / aq=0

Audio
ID                                       : 4352 (0x1100)
Format                                   : TrueHD / AC-3
Muxing mode                              : Stream extension
Codec ID                                 : 129
Duration                                 : 15h 7mn
Bit rate mode                            : Variable / Constant
Maximum bit rate                         : 6 273 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 8 channels / 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE / Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Delay relative to video                  : -225ms
Stream size                              : 4.06 GiB (67%)

Text
ID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)-608
Format                                   : EIA-608
Muxing mode                              : A/53 / DTVCC Transport
Muxing mode, more info                   : Muxed in Video #1
Stream size                              : 0.00 Byte (0%)

What have we learned from these few tests of CloneBD? The only possible answer is that the program is not ready to be released as a commercial product at this time. Three failures out of four attempts is not impressive to anyone for any type of product. And my results are not anomalies, judging by the many complaints being registered at the CloneBD subforum at Slysoft forums.

I have no doubt the program will continue to improve over the coming months, but even then, it has some serious shortcomings in my opinion. There is absolutely no control within the program over the encoding engine.

CloneBD is intended for people who don’t care about the details of encoding. It is meant to be quick and give an acceptable result. The many choices in portable device profiles makes it convenient, but none of the effort done to make the program “pretty” and easy to use matters in the slightest if the program fails more often than it works.

@ Kerry, I won’t clutter your review but a little.
I posted most of my experiences in the “problems” thread.
It’s funny that when I first tested v 1.0.2.3 all went well.
Then the next day without changing anything it erred & has been ever since.
Even when I went to newer versions. I didn’t keep the 1.0.2.3 installer. So I can’t try it again but it was failing when I uninstalled it so I doubt it would do better now.

The only thing I did that I know of was to use “Run” dxdiag after someone posted they had the error about DirectX .

What I wanted to ask was ;
Are you set up to use a virtual OS ?
I’m not so I can’t test this & since I have the correct DirectX versions for my OS’s I don’t want to mess with installing the version CloneBD has on them.
If you can or have an actual OS you are willing to test this on .
Would you try installing the DirectV that CloneBD installs & see if that helps?

I have tried Clone BD in WindowsXP Pro SP3 , Vista , & Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit on my desktop .
I haven’t yet installed it on my Windows 7 64-bit on my laptop .
I usually don’t use it for encoding .

There will be many more versions and no one has to buy it until its stable, the trial will last until all the bugs or most of the bugs are fixed, that said, it was their intention to get as much feedback as possible so everything is helping, V1026 should be released soon. This program for sure was not ready to be reviewed at all, and I have mixed feelings about Slysoft releasing it when they did, but due to their reputation and that alone I am willing to believe that this program , with added features and stable coding, will be one of the top programs in this field. Again just my personal opinion, and Kerry, feel free to delete my post for your review, personally I would have waited to review this, but none the less I respect your efforts.

@ alan1476 , I have long been a slysoft/Elby customer . I have LTL on most of their software . Not all but most.
I’m still testing & giving the benefit of the doubt for now.
If all goes well I will have a BD drive installed sometime this week .
I got one from a generous secret Santa who shall remain nameless.
I didn’t have enough SATA ports on my MB so I’m waiting on a SATA controller card to arrive . If that works correctly I should be in business .

For now I’m still testing with the same Sintel.iso mounted in a virtual drive or direct in CloneBD . Since I’m using Virtual CloneDrive . I assume CloneBD uses it in some form so it should be almost the same either way.

Cholla
When I installed the program, I allowed it to install DirectX, just to make certain that nothing I did interfered with the setup. Dxdiag tells me there are no problems.
I also made certain to reboot after installation.

Alan
[U]They[/U] decided to release the program as a commercial product. I’m not sure there was any arm twisting involved. I can only review the program as it exists now, and relate my experiences using it.

I will no doubt review it again if and when they get it to a stable point. But in my opinion, this will take the better part of a year, possibly a full year before it will be as trustworthy as some free options. And it will never be a complete replacement for certain programs that offer better control over the X264 encoder.

All of this is compounded by the imminent arrival of H265 as a mainstream video codec. I understand Elby is planning on adding support for this codec, but the complexity of this process is going to really add to their headaches.

Thanks Kerry I should have asked if you had let CloneBD install DirectX.
Obviously I didn’t . I thought that might have been why CloneBD wasn’t working for me. It seems it has problems even with the version it installs.

I had the best results converting a BD .m2ts file to a h265 .mkv using ffmpeg from a command window.
Most of the other software I tried for this had some problem actually doing this .
So I agree this may present just another problem for CloneBD if they try to add this before the program is stable in the other areas it need to bestable.

From my knowledge about video encoding, it is never a good idea to end up with variable frame rate (video).
Just a guess but this may cause audio sync problems but even if it doesn’t, it still isn’t a good idea, imo.

This is a strange move by slysoft to release a product that isn’t fully functional.
But then again, I don’t consider myself as one of their fanboys.
I’ll try to keep an open mind about clonebd even though there are several free software that do just fine.

Perhaps a redirect would help their cause, like maybe offer a menu maker with this.

At alan1476’s request, I downloaded the newest version of CloneBD, 1.0.2.6, which was released a day after I finished this review.

Loading in [I]How to Train Your Dragon 2[/I], I set the program to make a 7.7gb 720p MKV file. And wouldn’t you know, the program worked perfectly this time. Output was very close to the correct size, and visual quality is very good. There is no sign of any audio/visual sync issues either.

Here is the MediaInfo file for this mkv:

General
Unique ID                                : 333524357870139385651235270280474604636 (0xFAEA746DCD991D1B1013E6776AD1345C)
Complete name                            : F:\AVS Output\CloneBD\How To Train Your Dragon 2 - Main feature.mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 2
File size                                : 7.74 GiB
Duration                                 : 1h 41mn
Overall bit rate                         : 10.9 Mbps
Writing application                      : Lavf55.20.0
Writing library                          : Lavf55.20.0

Video
ID                                       : 3
Format profile                           : Main@L3.2
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                                 : 9 740 Kbps
Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                                   : 720 pixels
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 fps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.441
Stream size                              : 6.86 GiB (89%)
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=1 / deblock=0:0:0 / analyse=0:0 / me=dia / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=4 / chroma_me=0 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=4 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / slices=4 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=2 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=0 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=0 / open_gop=1 / weightp=0 / keyint=24 / keyint_min=13 / scenecut=0 / intra_refresh=0 / rc=abr / mbtree=0 / bitrate=9740 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.50 / qpmin=2 / qpmax=31 / qpstep=3 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.25 / aq=0

Audio #1
ID                                       : 1
Stream size                              : 467 MiB (6%)

Audio #2
ID                                       : 2
Bit rate                                 : 384 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R
Stream size                              : 280 MiB (4%)

The two audio streams must be my fault. I probably overlooked one.

So there is hope yet for this program. Not that I doubted that, as I have already stated that it will improve over time. But Elby will be stomping out little brush fires for some time to come as they try to adjust for incompatible Blu-ray movies as they learn of them.

Thank you Kerry, there is another beta due this week, and it will have more fixes and more new features. This program is in its infancy, imho, it will be an excellent program and stable enough that all the features implemented will work to perfection in a few more versions. For me, in my testing, it has created great .iso files and files for my iPhone6Plus that are of excellent quality. More to come. Again, thank you Kerry for your work on this review and maybe with new features coming you can test them and let us know your opinions. :clap: