Clone will not copy this dvd

here is what anydvd info says about this disc:

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 5.8.4.1)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd+r (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 2275824 sectors (4444 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: SONATA_VOLUME
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is region free.

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Found & removed error zones between files!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 1 bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

this is a disc burned in SLP mode on a sony, so I dont know where its getting that “bad sector protection” thing from, the VHS cassette it was dubbed from was a homemade one so there was no protection on that either, nothing I have will copy ths dvd although it plays fine, this dvd is 6 hours long also. sorry for the repost, but I cant find the edit post thing for the other one, why is my drive “emulating RPC 2 drive with region 1?” I dont recall changing a setting.

Have you tried copying the contents to your hard drive and then just burning a data DVD?

@ ilovemyvaio,

Suggest viewing the Forum Rules (http://club.cdfreaks.com/announcement.php?f=74&announcementid=37) and abide by then. In the past hour you have made two CloneDVD Forum postings concerning the same problem (“clone will not copy this dvd” and “clone cannnot copy due to quality settings”). Double posting is against Forum Rules.

Something doesn’t jive here. A VHS VCR tape copied to the DVD format doesn’t contain any copy protections. Also explain how a 6-hour movie was copied to a blank DVD+R media?

Best Regards,
bjkg

bjkg, i read something not too long ago about standalone dvd recorders adding their own copy protections to anything recorded with them. I don’t think it was involving sonys and I’m not even sure if that was the conclusion that was drawn from it.

i’d also like to know how you got 6 hours onto a single DVD+R with any watchable quality?

also maybe check the specs of your dvd recorder to make sure it says nothing about protections.

have you been able to record stuff then rip it to your computer before?

My Sony PVR does not add any copy protection, except if the sourse you are copying from has copy protection flags set. This would normally only be from something like HBO.

I would guess that it is either a bad burn, or AnyDVD is just getting totally confused.

But wait - what is this…

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 5.9.0.0)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 2

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd+r (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 2127072 sectors (4154 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: SONY_DVD_RECORDER_VOLUME
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: PAL
Media is region free.

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Found & removed error zones between files!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 1 bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 2!

I can confirm that this disc has no copy protection - you can turn AnyDVD off and CloneDVD2 will process it no problem though. I guess AnyDVD is getting confused with the structure of the disc. If you are just wanting to make a backup of your disc any strandard DVD copy program will work - my personal chioce is CloneCD.

I would advise turning off AnyDVD while you are copying your disc though.

Something doesn’t jive here. A VHS VCR tape copied to the DVD format doesn’t contain any copy protections. Also explain how a 6-hour movie was copied to a blank DVD+R media?

On the Sony PVR’s SLP will give you 6 hours on a single layer disc - you can even go to SEP will give you 8 hours!!

[QUOTE=reasonsnotrules]
i’d also like to know how you got 6 hours onto a single DVD+R with any watchable quality?

[QUOTE]

Keep in mind that this is from a home VHS - the quality will already be pretty poor - why bother recording it to DVD with a higher bit rate?

When I get time I will try backing up this disc with AnyDVD on and AnyDVD off and see if it makes any difference - don’t have time tonight - off staying in a very nice hotel with the missus - granny is looking after the kids!! So bring on the fine wine and lovely, lovely food!!

how I got 6 hrs onto a dvd R : SLP mode, it is snippets recorded at various times, I am tranfering it to dvd r because the recorder puts index points in every five mins and its easier to get to sections, than it is to FF or REW through a tape, the quality of the original video has deteriorated over time, so the the tranfer is meant to slow down this process. if you have a recorder with slp mode on it, it will record for 6 hours, sorry for the double post I couldnt find a way to delete the original one. I was surprised to find I could get 6hrs on a DVD+R SL myself. oh and the quality of the dvd’s looks pretty much the same as a 15 year old vhs tape, which is not great but its what the original tapes look like anyway. thanks for any help.

ok since making original post, I was trying to back up another dvd and I am getting the same error in clone, it says that same thing about not being able to find a .bup file, and in the detail window I get this: OSUtilIO [WString] TCE it worked fine yesterday whats going on and why is my drive Emulating a region 2 drive?

added at last minute…

apparently the newest version of clone 2.8.5.1 will not allow you to copy anythng that comes from a dvdr originally. I dont get the missing .bup file when a pressed dvd is inserted, clone just wont read a dvdr anymore…I am hoping this is just a coincidence, I cant imagine the slysoft people crippling their program this way, it doesnt seem, and before everyone freaks out on me, I took a disc that I own and clone read and would allow me to copy it, then I took the BACKUP of this disc and tried to copy it, and clone wouldnt do it, I know what you are thinking, but I actually own dvdr’s of things that arent rented movies…so lets not get sidetracked on that, why is clone having problems reading SL dvd+r? these are verbatims they usually give me no probs, and clone has been flawless untill this…

Just use CloneCD or Nero or BlindWrite or Alcohol or DVD Decrypter to back this up. What is the point of using CloneDVD to copy an unprotected single layer DVD anyway? If you’re going to do that, just use the write existing data function.

Did you take the advice and disabled AnyDVD / disabled the setting “remove copy protection based on unreadable sectors”?

Tried to backup this disc with AnyDVD on and off - and I can’t see that it has made any difference. I used the second button on CloneDVD (Clone a DVD) and this is what it reports

I 11:36:14 Processing started
D CloneDVDVersion: 2.8.5.1
W 11:36:14 Found and corrected IFO format errors:
I 11:36:14 Fixed Philips DVD Recorder generated IFO files

But, as I have stated before, there is no need to use CloneDVD2 for this - as there is absolutely no protection on the disc and disc copy software will copy it.

I guess these PVR’s have some funky disc structure all of their own!!

clonedvd2 IS a copy program and does nto remove protection. seems like it would be EXACTLY what you’d need to copy this. (I think you meant anydvd above) :slight_smile:

an update: I also have Record now, and it copied this disc without problems, clone wont touch it even with any dvd turned off, or with “remove protection based on bad sectors” unchecked…but why is that I wonder…

And do you have DLA installed? …

CloneDVD remasters the DVD, RecordNow doesn’t. If you don’t want CloneDVD to remaster, use the “Write existing Data” option.

You guys ever notice that you give someone good advice and they still wont use it and would rather argue about it?

Yup. :bigsmile:

Very much so. I told him to use a regular copying program the day he first posted. Or write existing data in CloneDVD. But if he has DLA installed, that could certainly cause problems…