Clone .. sd2.. playback

cdrinfo article

Have you had any success with either PlayBack or Insektors? – SafeDisc2 emulation for win9x/2000 for SD2 CDs copied with CloneCD?

cdrinfo.com article snippet:

>>

• Why use it?
    As the PlayBack author says “…SafeDisk2 protected CDs can only be copied with certain CD-Writers. Copies of SecuROM protected CDs require special hardware - a RAW-DAO burner and a Reader, which is able to read Subchannel Data from Data Tracks. Not everybody has such hardware. Backups of SecuROM 2 protected CDs will only run from CD-ROMs, not a CD-Writer or a DVD-CD-Writer combo drive…”

• How it works?
    The PlayBackup utility does’t crack the application since it only alters the “copy protection related” data delivered from the CD-ROM “on the fly”

SecuROM patch: If the application tries to read subchannel data from the CD-ROM, the PlayBackup driver delivers altered data. Result: The copy will be identified as an original.
<<

why use playbackup when you
can use clonecd’s new AWS

it’s my understanding that the 12x atapi plextor can only make SD2 backups that can be read by the burner and no other drive – with AWS enabled. But that the 24x drive can make perfect SD2 backups that can be played by any drive. If this is the case, and I have a 12x, then I’d need PlayBack to use the backup in my other drive.

before clone’s new AWS I tried
playbackup and I had no luck with
it but maybe someone else did

Actually, backup’s made with the Plextor 12x on SD2 protected disc has always worked in the drive itself, regardless of enabling AWS. I’ve personally tested this quite a while ago before 24x came out. But with the new AWS feature in clonecd, you should be able to make a copy of SD2 protected disc that’ll work in ANY cd drive.

Originally posted by Orunitia
Actually, backup’s made with the Plextor 12x on SD2 protected disc has always worked in the drive itself, regardless of enabling AWS.
Entirely true :slight_smile: With AWS enabled the Plextor PX-W1210A seems to work very well (read: the back-ups work in every recorder).