Clone/Rebadges and hardware differences

vbimport

Now i know for the most part, the board (PCB) on the clones of the liteon drives, for instance DH16ABSH17B is a clone of the iHAS124-04B that dell/hp/compaq/ibm/lenova use in their PCs…its basically the oem version those companies use, and maybe others, they also use the C and A in some cases. but anyway, the chipset is pretty much the same…MT18**. But i tried interchanging a few other parts just for kicks, and found that things like the tray, laser, motor etc, are all minorly different…so with some drives i get better results on PI/PIF scans, quality scans, etc…

Basically, the other day i bought i a PX-880SA off ebay for 15.50 shipped…great deal imo. But i did a burn with it, on stock 1.13 fw, might try out the CK versions, but might not, cause the results i got were the best burns i’ve gotten with a liteon drive yet…and as you can see in my signature, i have tons of drives i’ve been working with for years…

my max PI was 11, and for a good part of the scans, it was 0-2. max PIF was 1…I’ve never had a drive that burned a disc with that good of a result.

it was a XGD3 backup of an xbox360 game, so it was a DVD+R DL verbatim disc (MKM-003) burnt at 4x…the 8-10X discs with AZO or whatever. Even at the layerbreak, there were no spikes or anything, I have several other drives with CK fw’s on them, like the iHAS A and the iXtreme burner max fw on a B rev of iHAS etc. none had as consistent as this plextor drive. Now i know that plextor has always been known (at least to me) as a quality drive, with quality burns, but my question really is, is there a real difference in the laser or the motor or something that helps with jitter or the burns accuracy, or i’ve heard the firmware is good on the plextor drive, or what really is the differences in these drives vs retail liteons, or the oem rebadges, or whatever, I know some drives are just gonna be better, and get better results then others, even if they are the same. Another plextor drive may get completely absurdly crappy results doing the same burn, same fw, same discs…I get that, but is there anything else that would vary the results?

Looking for some technical answers, not just a different drive different results answer…

Thanks guys! I’m always curious… :slight_smile: