Clone not ready?

vbimport

:smiley:
Hi guys
read an interesting artical over at cd-rw.org saying clone not ready yet and if it aint broke dont fix it !!!

Anyway heres the link if you wish to have a read of it, looks like it was only posted yesterday and i've not seen anything on here about it.
:smiley:
h**p://www.cd-rw.org/news/archive/2895.cfm

The first 2 arguments also go for CloneCD3 (if I am not mistaken)…, the second argument is caused by the mentioned hardware. The third argument is something which has been discussed in this forum. I think it is correct what is stated there in argument 3. I have never heard anything about the 4th argument, wouldn’t take it too seriously, if this really was the case I think it would have been discussed here.

:slight_smile:

This is straight from the new CloneCD website:

There are some known problems in this version:

CloneCD allows you to select a faster write speed than the drive allows. This is not really a bug, it is just a cosmetic glitch. If you select 6x speed with a 2x writer, it will simply write 2x.

Reading Subchannel Data from Data Tracks with Plextor CD-ROMs, Sony CD-ROMs, Sony CD-Writers CR-X120E, CR-X140E/S, CR-X145E/S, CR.X160E, Hewlett Packard CD-Writers 8200i, 8210i, 9100i, 9110i, 9200i, 9210i, 9300i, 9310i, 9500i, 9600i will always enable Fast Error Skip, too. You might need to reduce the read speed for reliable results
Old news - been on elby for a while.
I can add to that list one more: The read speed setting doesn’t work with my SCSI Plextor UltraPlex 32
They’re not fully MMC compliant so who cares?
the audio CD features of CloneCD 4 aren’t impressing either: Even though there are read errors the user is not informed and errors will be reproduced on the resulting copy.
I’m not sure about this…maybe “Rgenerate Data Sectors” is just that, data and not audio.

futureproof,

They’re not fully MMC compliant so who cares?

Plextor SCSI ROMs are the finest CD-ROMs available. I presume there is quite a bit of these sold. And not to mention that older versions had no problems with these.

Upp3rd0G,

I have never heard anything about the 4th argument, wouldn’t take it too seriously, if this really was the case I think it would have been discussed here.

So if something is not discussed here then it cant be taken seriously?

A friend of mine, who is very knowledable in audio issues, tested it and the results were that the resulted copy had audible glitches but there was no error report. So excuse me for asking, but what is the purpose of the audio modes if they even don’t report read errors? Seems like that EAC is still the way to go for audio.

if a plextor scsi was the finest drive available, it’d be MMC compliant…

I’ve been misunderstood. @cd-rw.org - welcome to the Forum. Plexies are not fully MMC compliant and the early SCSIs were really, really good. But the new IDE Yammys are just as good, with respect to audio and the Liteon, ASUS and a few others are SD2 butta cutta’s. I was not knocking the Plex, rather, I was admiring it’s features.