Clone CD & PSX

I have a couple of PSX images in clone cd format. I have checked that the games are not protected so there’s no need to patch them at all.

The thing is that sometimes the backups work, ie, they pass the psx logo and goes into the game while at times, the backup don’t work, ie it spins for a while and then stop spinning even before the psx logo appears.

I have used the same settings for psx but I don’t understand why some work while others don’t.

I have burned them at the slowest possible speed, ie 8x.

Please help

What are the things I still need to do ?

Does this have anything to do with old lens, if it does, then why do some games actually boot up?

Thanks !

:slight_smile: :smiley: :cool:

The laser controller in the PSX does not have a very wide range so has problems focusing certain CDR media. Your problem is to do with the media being used - each CDR media has different strengths of reflection.

I have tried TDK, SONY, Verbatim - all work great and works without adjusting the laser read pot in PSX.

MAXELL and some non-branded CDR media have crap reflectivity and requires a pot adjustment for them to work in PSX.

any specific models of the cd-r?

I know for verbatim, there are so many different types out there, so which one should I take?

Thanks!

Originally posted by df78
I know for verbatim, there are so many different types out there, so which one should I take?

Only the verbatim data life plus are any good and they are very good for psx backups. Rated speed doesn’t matter much since for psx you should burn them at 8x anyway if that’s as slow as your writer can burn. 16x or 24x rated verb dlps should be just the ticket (but don’t touch standard verbatim data life cdrs as they’re all c**p.)

Thank you very much!:smiley: