Clock Setting Problem (Panasonic DMR-ES35V - DVD recorder / VCR combo)

[qanda]This thread is about the Panasonic DMR-ES35V - DVD recorder / VCR combo. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a Panasonic dvd model dmr-es40v in which I am having trouble with the clock setting. I set the time using MST and it reverts back to an A.M. time. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong. I am setting it manually so all I can think of is the machine has a malfunction or I am doing something wrong. If someone can recommend a comparable model please let me know. I use it to dub VHS to DVD mostly. Thank you in advance for your help.

I have read many posts about the general flakiness of the late '05 ES-40v. It was one of 2 Panasonic models to contain the LSI silicon. IMO Panasonic had such bad luck with this model that in '06 they went back to their own silicon. With the introduction of the '07 EZ recorders they again went back to LSI and the bugs started again.
As far as a replacement for your ES-40v if you could go used I’d suggest trying to find a ES-30v (early '05 model that has proven much more stable and handy than the ES-40v) or maybe a '06 ES-45v or ES-46v (both identical except the 46 was only sold in wholesale clubs like Sams or Costco and included a [I]free[/I] hdmi cable. My favorite of the 3 would be the ES-30v (I own 3) it has dual displays (one for VHS side and one for DVD side, very handy) and is bug free. If you want the HDMI output and upconverting then the '06 ES-45v/46v is your machine. Oh I almost forgot about the ES-35v, it’s basically a ES-45v but lacks the HDMI upconversion, it’s also a '06 model year and seems to be available new as a [I]international[/I] model, at places that sell such machines. In the US anyway they run ~$500 which IMO is a little high. I really wouldn’t suggest a '07 or newer EZ machine due to bugs and design flaws.
I can’t think of anything you could be doing wrong that would change your machine in or out of MST. I guess you could try a machine reset. Turn machine ON and then depress both the CH up and CH down buttons(on the unit) for at least 5 seconds. This should revert your machine almost back to [I]out of box [/I] condition. Then you’ll need to reprogram your channels and personal preferences. It’s worth a try I guess.

[QUOTE=joev;2272057][qanda]I have a Panasonic dvd model dmr-es40v in which I am having trouble with the clock setting. I set the time using MST and it reverts back to an A.M. time. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong. I am setting it manually so all I can think of is the machine has a malfunction or I am doing something wrong. If someone can recommend a comparable model please let me know. I use it to dub VHS to DVD mostly. Thank you in advance for your help.[/QUOTE]

In the clock setting screen be sure to turn DST off.

I own one DMR-ES40V that has spent most of its life in its box in a closet due to the design flaws and bugs. It has accumulated 355 recording hours since new in December 2005.

I also own two DMR-ES30V models from 2005. One has accumulated around 4,400 recording hours; the other around 3,000 recording hours. I also own five DMR-ES35V models from 2006. Four of these machines have accumulated more than 3,000 recording hours each. The fifth is in near new condition. These full-featured dubbing workhorses have the FUNCTIONS menu-initiated dubbing/copying feature that allows the user to specify settings for [B]TIME LIMITED dubbing/copying and also FLEXIBLE RECORDING dubbing/copying[/B], features that are not found on a DMR-ES40V and 2007 and newer EZ series combo recorders. All except one of these machines was fully functional at last use. The laser assembly in one of the heavily used ES35 machines recently failed. I expect to swap that machine’s DVD Drive with that from my 2006 DMR-ES46V parts machine. I also own three 2006 DMR-ES15 DVD recorders, one of which has accumulated more than 3,000 recording hours.

The DMR-ES40V and the 2007/2008 EZ series combo recorders are limited to the front panel dubbing/copying control for copying videotaped recordings with the built-in VHS section. This method of dubbing results in DVD recordings that stop and start creating a new “title” whenever a videotape index mark is encountered. The drawback with this design is that dubbed/copied recordings have an overlap of recorded material at the beginning and ending of the “title.” The workaround is to ignor the built-in VHS section and connect an external VCR to an input and dub videotapes from an input. At least that restores some user control to the process. For these and other reasons I regard the 2005 DMR-ES40V and 2007/2008 EZ series combo recorders as unsatisfactory for use in a serious dubbing/copying project.

I write from experience. My ten month long selective dubbing/copying project transferred around 5,200 titles from videotape to DVD:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=13955310#post13955310

Thanks everyone for the input. I will live with this for now a search for a used DMR-EV30R or 35R. I have reset the clock and it has been fine for the last 2 days. Time will tell! (pun Intended)

[QUOTE=joev;2274750]Thanks everyone for the input. I will live with this for now a search for a used DMR-EV30R or 35R. I have reset the clock and it has been fine for the last 2 days. Time will tell! (pun Intended)[/QUOTE] I got a 2007 DMR-EZ37V in May 08.I sent it to factory service,RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!They sent it back after a firmware upgrade.Again in a few months,BACK to factory service,this time “New” DVD drive!Again last month,24 hours before the 1 years parts&labor warranty expired.MY CLOCK wouldn’t set! So I got ANOTHER reauthorization,to ship it in for service(THIRD TIME!)But by circumstance,I didn’t want to be without my DVD recorder for Memorial Day ,military movies!So I kept doing ALL known resets AGAIN,and Again.VOILA! IT worked and I burn at least one or two DVDs per day.So far so Good.Reset,Unplug,Power hold 20 seconds,channel up/down(HOLD Together),Resets to factory default.Clock reset.Been Good for 50-100 “Burns”!