Cleaning DVD's

vbimport

I’ve been using a somewhat unique method for cleaning DVD’s that I’ve never seen posted so I thought I’d share it here.

I routinely clean my DVD’s before backing them up using this method and I’ve only had one DVD that DVDFab had trouble reading. That DVD’s errors cleared up after a second cleaning.

I use a liquid spray-on coated lens cleaner, the kind you use to clean camera or eyeglass lenses. (Coated lens cleaner wipes will not work.) I also use a microfiber cloth, the kind used for polishing autos with clear-coat finishes.

The advantage of the microfiber cloth is that you can clean in a circular direction (instead of from the inside outward) because the cloth is soft enough to leave absolutely no scratches.

I spray the DVD, then rub with a 1 inch area of the microfiber cloth, then use the dry part of the cloth to polish in a circular motion (like polishing clear coat).

It works well and last a long time… :slight_smile:

Thank you for sharing this information along with your own personal experiences on this with us.

I agree TCAS , I might try this method. Dirty DVD can cause alot of problems as we all know.:wink:

Thanks Fred,
Very useful info and makes good sense…appreciate it.
I’ll give it shot on the next “problem” disc.

i have always used a screen wipe, the same you would use on your monitor screen. the moisture will evaporate very quickly to give instant results and completely removes finger prints, a baby wipe will do as well.

Thanks for sharing information. I feel Pre-Moistened Lens Cleaning Tissues that are used for glasses cleanerare pretty good. You may try to use them as well. thansk

[QUOTE=zipdisk2003;2505896]Thanks for sharing information. I feel Pre-Moistened Lens Cleaning Tissues that are used for glasses cleanerare pretty good. You may try to use them as well. thansk[/QUOTE] :iagree: DITTO

Yo-

An equally effective way - and considerably cheaper - is to use 70% + isopropyl rubbing alcohol (available at any drug store - over the counter) - and apply directly to the micro fiber cloth - then clean your pressed (not burned) discs. Works really good and at minimal cost-eh!!

(smoking is definitely NOT advised whilst using the alcohol)

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2506011]Yo-

70% + isopropyl rubbing alcohol - and apply directly to the micro fiber cloth - then clean your pressed (not burned) discs. [/QUOTE]

Your right works good on commercially [B]pressed[/B] DVD, but not a good idea on a burned disc.:slight_smile: