Cleaning disk and removing Scratches

vbimport

I have noticed several post about cleaning dvd’s and cd’s and removing scratches. This is what I have found that works the best. Don’t make any
substitutes as none of this is expensive. For cleaning (removes almost everything, crayons, fingerprints, makeup, stickness, and etc), go to a hardware store and buy “denatured alcohol” (use caution, it is VERY FLAMABLE), then go to fabric store and buy ‘soft white FELT CLOTH’ (do not use felt sheets, they shed too much). Put some of the alcohol in a very small spray bottle and spray on recorded side of disk, let set maybe 10 seconds or so (longer will not hurt the disk), then wipe with felt ACROSS the disk, do not go in a circle. You will be surprised how clean it will get disk without any harm. If you have scrathes, the best thing is to buy and ELECTRIC disk doctor (online and at music stories, some carry it, DO NOT get the hand crank one, they don’t work as good). Follow directions on disk doctor, if you run out of the fluid just use plain water. Then clean at the end with the alcohol and felt. This will usually take care of most problems.
Disk will be almost like new and easier to copy. Hope this helps some of you out there.
If I have put this in the wrong area, would the admins move it to the correct area.
fengtao thanks for the DVDFAB, best money I ever spent!

Works great for cleaning…does absolutely nothing for scratches.

That’s what the CD or DVD Doctor is for! Either one will work on both types of disk.

[QUOTE=Ironwalker;2152139]Works great for cleaning…does absolutely nothing for scratches.[/QUOTE]

It will clean the scratches though.

That might sound facetious but it’s not intended to be.

The grease from fingerprints and other dirt tends to gather in the scratches and cleaning can often help.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Agreed it will clean scratches good Wombler. :wink:
Being an ol timer lp man disk doctor and the similar products mentioned above…are like the anti static gins…they remove static charges from discs made of plastic/vinyl.

There are wonderful tutorials on the net for useing toothpast for light scratches and buffer pads in various coarseness’ (word?).

I have removed scratches those ways and it does take time.

As for machines that remove scratches, you could get one that say, blockbuster uses to fix discs but it does the same thing automatically…buffs the scratches out starting with coarse pad down to fine pads for polished new look.These machines are expensive.

My reply was not meant to contradict the op in any way other than to disagree from my own experiances.

Then again I am probably the only one who had a spindle of 100 backed up dvd’s in a dusty room for a year and a half and left them all over out of sleeves (the old me). :wink:

[QUOTE=Ironwalker;2152204]Then again I am probably the only one who had a spindle of 100 backed up dvd’s in a dusty room for a year and a half and left them all over out of sleeves (the old me). ;)[/QUOTE]
Hahaha…I’m afraid you have some company there, although I’m still not as bad as the kids used to be.

Yeah, there a there quite a few fixes like the toothpaste out there. An old friend made me a believer in Brasso after he found a cd in a parking lot, all scratched up and was able to polish it out enough that it played without any problems. It won’t do anything for gouges, but does well with surface scratches. I’ve heard Pledge also does well in this regard …never tried it though.

Yes SOME blockbuster do use the expensive units (we have 2 blockbuster in town and neither can fix their disk). The electric disk doctor cost about $49 and a wheel will smooth out most scratches (sometimes you have to run it more than once). Each wheel will do about 50 disk before it needs to be replaced usually for about $10. I had a local video store that paid me $5 a disk to fix them and did about 50 (about $250), not bad, lol. Out of the 50 there was only 1 that I could not repair. The wheel is turned by a motor, make a pass in one direction, then reverse it back to beginning. Dry disk, use polish felt that comes with it. Clean with denatured alcohol and most disk can be repaired this way. The wheel has a super fine emory cloth on it. For the money it’s worth it, but like you said gouges just can’t be repaired by anything.

Brasso is great ( thanks Stormjumper :smiley: ). Just use something of cotton to apply it, and remember to wipe from the centre outwards.

Have repaired DVD’s which looked as though they’d been run over by a lorry using this method, and they played fine.