Cleaning CD/DVD Media

Hello CDFreaks –

Noob alert!

Anyway, this might be the silliest thing any of you have heard in awhile.

Last night one of my nieces decided it would be fun to play with some of my DVD discs in the dishwater. Nope, not some old ones I haven’t looked at/listened to in years but brand new burns. If she had taken them in the bath I wouldn’t be so freaked – a little soap and water never hurt anyone/thing (I think). Nope, it was waaaaay cooler to pull up a stool and dump summa uncie Wander’s discs right into the greasy old dishwater. What is the best way a guy should go about cleaning these discs, or might I just as well turf the buggers and restart.

Moral? Dump the dishwater before one takes a dump if their weirdo niece is about. :eek:

PS. I think she thought she was doing me a favour by washing them. Hard to get angry about it.

Welcome to the forum, what is wrong with the disks physically? Are they separating? Let them dry first for a couple of days then examine and try to play them and see what happens.

Yeah,I can seperate most of them, but in some cases there’s a greasy film on them. Don’t think I want to try them in either player. :iagree:

Thanks for the response.

[QUOTE=Wanderlust;1957167]Yeah,I can seperate most of them, but in some cases there’s a greasy film on them. Don’t think I want to try them in either player. :iagree:

Thanks for the response.[/QUOTE]

Isn’t WanderLust a Paul McCartney song? :iagree: No problem use a some rubbing acohol 70% with a very soft towel or cloth rub some on the disk wipe from center of the disk to the edge, in motion.

Not sure to tell you the truth, about the song title, that is. I just have a lust for wandering (sometime mentally, lol).

I was thinking about using rubbing alcohol, but I didn’t think about cutting it to 70% of the solution. Thanks for the heads-up, man. Appreciation factor 5 (that’s as high as it goes).

Hey The C. Since I have your attention, do you know of any free software that converts wmv and mpeg to avi?

Not sure if it’s appropriate changing topic like this. I hope not.

Cheers

We’d prefer if you can make a new thread for a different topic. Just gets a bit frustrating for the other members trying to help.

I’ve done it for you ;)… Click here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/free-software-converts-wmv-mpeg-avi-234328/

BTW to get the grease off your discs just use washing-up liquid in clean warm water. Personally I would avoid any organic solvents unless you know their purity. Try on a coaster first: they can leave an insoluble residue.

[quote=imkidd57;1957308]

BTW to get the grease off your discs just use washing-up liquid in clean warm water. Personally I would avoid any organic solvents unless you know their purity. Try on a coaster first: they can leave an insoluble residue.[/quote]

Isopropyl Alcohol
works for me
little on the bad spot. ( loand discs come back with braai food all over them :eek::eek: )
Little Braso also helps.( both sides ):smiley:
then try Cd \dvd Disc cleaner … :wink: Helps Lots of times when You think :bigsmile: what now
Dont Bin anything till you tried it in 2 other divices you dont own .I know from experiance :bigsmile:
and CDFREAKS :flower:

[quote=imkidd57;1957308]We’d prefer if you can make a new thread for a different topic. Just gets a bit frustrating for the other members trying to help.

I’ve done it for you ;)… Click here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/free-software-converts-wmv-mpeg-avi-234328/

BTW to get the grease off your discs just use washing-up liquid in clean warm water. Personally I would avoid any organic solvents unless you know their purity. Try on a coaster first: they can leave an insoluble residue.[/quote]

Gotcha on both fronts. Thanks.

[quote=diane7;1957367]Isopropyl Alcohol
works for me
little on the bad spot. ( loand discs come back with braai food all over them :eek::eek: )
then try Cd \dvd Disc cleaner … :wink: Helps Lots of times when You think :bigsmile: what now
Dont Bin anything till you tried it in 2 other divices you dont own .I know from experiance :bigsmile:
and CDFREAKS :flower:[/quote]

Man, you are a helpful lot. Cheers. Going to pop over to my new thread and then I’ve got some washing up (of discs) to do.

My thanks to you all on this.
Cheers

[quote=diane7;1957367]Isopropyl Alcohol
works for me
and CDFREAKS :flower:[/quote]Hehe… yes you are right Diane7 - if all else fails get out the Brasso :). Used it a few times as a last resort on scratched +RWs from a DVD recorder.

Also good advice about the drive reading. When I got a LiteOn, it read discs that the Benq and JVCs wouldn’t even recognise. :slight_smile:

I have used just plain tap water.