Clean uninstall with revouninstaller?

vbimport

have any of the clean uninstall experts evaluated this free program:
http://www.revouninstaller.com/

It claims to completely remove all traces of broken / unwanted software for you, without you having to use tools like regedit.

blurb:
"After the program’s regular uninstaller runs, you can remove additional unnecessary files, folders and registry keys that are usually left over on your computer. Even if you have a broken installation, Revo Uninstaller scans for an application’s data on your hard disk drives and in the Windows registry and shows all found files, folders and registry keys so you can delete them. "

I’ve not used it on dvdfab - my existing installation works fine - but I have tried it with other stuff left behind by windows uninstalls & it seems pretty good.

if it does the trick for dvdfab then it would arguably be safer for novices than following existing instuctions, as one false move when you you are in regedit can irrevocably srew up your PC.

I agree with you!! I have been using revo a long time and it works great, i use the advanced, and never had a problem.

[QUOTE=cybmole;2103963]have any of the clean uninstall experts evaluated this free program:
http://www.revouninstaller.com/

It claims to completely remove all traces of broken / unwanted software for you, without you having to use tools like regedit.

blurb:
"After the program’s regular uninstaller runs, you can remove additional unnecessary files, folders and registry keys that are usually left over on your computer. Even if you have a broken installation, Revo Uninstaller scans for an application’s data on your hard disk drives and in the Windows registry and shows all found files, folders and registry keys so you can delete them. "

I’ve not used it on dvdfab - my existing installation works fine - but I have tried it with other stuff left behind by windows uninstalls & it seems pretty good.

if it does the trick for dvdfab then it would arguably be safer for novices than following existing instuctions, as one false move when you you are in regedit can irrevocably srew up your PC.[/QUOTE]

Hey yo cybmole
I have never heard of revouninstaller, but will check it out for sure :iagree:
You know me my friend when I uninstal a program I like it uninstalled all the way :bigsmile:
BTW…thanks for the tittle “clean uninstall experts” :smiley:

@ StormJumper
Just a word of warning!! when it starts to uninstall it uses the programs uninstaller, when that is done their program might ask you to reboot, Don’t, that will stop revo. Next when you select advanced , do not delete anything thats not in BOLD. If it shows something like software and not in bold , but a + in the box, Keep opening till you find the entry in Bold and delete. the next step if there is any files left in c: program files can be deleted safely

[QUOTE=Donewell;2104065]@ StormJumper
Just a word of warning!! when it starts to uninstall it uses the programs uninstaller, when that is done their program might ask you to reboot, Don’t, that will stop revo. Next when you select advanced , do not delete anything thats not in BOLD. If it shows something like software and not in bold , but a + in the box, Keep opening till you find the entry in Bold and delete. the next step if there is any files left in c: program files can be deleted safely[/QUOTE]

Greetings Donewell
Thanks for the heads-up my friend :slight_smile: ,I have already checked out the program inside and out…and found that I will continue to do my rig > (house) cleaning on my own :cool:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2104170]Greetings Donewell
Thanks for the heads-up my friend :slight_smile: ,I have already checked out the program inside and out…and found that I will continue to do my rig > (house) cleaning on my own :cool:[/QUOTE]

interesting - what does the revo program do or not do , that you do different in DIY mode ?

@ StormJumper
I knew by reading how you do it that you would not mess up. But i mainly put my 2 cents in just in case someone else tried it and i didn’t want them to mess up

Revo Uninstaller is a fine program,but to uninstall an app as much as possible,you 1st have to monitor the installation.
Ashampoo Uninstaller Platinum,the EXCELLENT Total Uninstall and the(freeware)ZSoft Uninstaller can monitor system changes b4 and after an installation,making the cleaning much more accurate…

http://www.freeware-guide.com/dir/util/uninst.html

Be carefull with REVO. It messed up some of my registry entries. I stopped using it. :a

Hi cybmole,

Thanks for Tipp on the Revo uninstaller utility, I’m going to check it out!

Upgrad / Uninstall Question:
I’ve never uninstalled DVDFab either with Stormjumper’s “clean” procedure or over the standard Windows uninstaller, am I just installing on top of the old program in these cases?

[B]When updating new DVDFab releases, is an uninstall (clean or dirty) required or in some way beneficial?[/B]

Thanks,

Organdude

[QUOTE=Organdude;2104552]
[B]When updating new DVDFab releases, is an uninstall (clean or dirty) required or in some way beneficial?[/B]

Thanks,

Organdude[/QUOTE]

Hi Organdude,

No, an uninstall is neither required nor beneficial when updating. Just install right over the last version…:wink:

install over the top is what i do and is recommended by fengtao. however doing an uninstall i guess could not hurt.

as for the uninstallers ive reviewed a few of them from the link i posted and i like ZSoft Uninstaller. im probably going to start using it. especially after my next reformat. which i think might be coming up soon.

[QUOTE=troy512;2104557]…especially after my next reformat. which i think might be coming up soon.[/QUOTE]
Hey Troy, are you having problems or is it just getting to be time to “clean house”? :bigsmile:

windows is running fine, no crashes, bugs, viruses, spyware or anything. just want to clean things up a bit. i always tell myself im not going to install a bunch of junk only what i really need and want. well that doesnt last too long. next thing you know i have installed and uninstalled who knows what. updated and rolled back drivers even after ive told myself which drivers i am going use and not to update certain ones. blah blah blah

[QUOTE=troy512;2104567] blah blah blah[/QUOTE]
Hahaha, yeah, same for me. I do a clean XP Pro install and end up with a nice, clean rig, but then say, "hey, where’s all my stuff?"
It may be junk, but it’s really good junk.
I end up putting most of it back …:bigsmile:

i keep all my downloads and important [yeah right] stuff on a partition. reformat the windows partition and reinstall from there. so i dont really lose the junk, just dont have remnants hanging out on the windows partition. im thinking this is where ZSoft Uninstaller will come in handy. :slight_smile:

I believe I’m going to give ZSoft Uninstaller a shot and see if I can get rid of
some of this useless junk that is floating around on my HD’s. :iagree:

Thanks all for the clarification in updating/re-installing DVDFab!

[I]One more thing on the uninstaller theme…[/I]

I already uninstalled the Acrobat Proffesional trial version that came with my new notebook for example, can Revo still be used to scan for any possible left-over program remnants once a standard (dirty) uninstall has been done?

(The Acrobat Pro suite was a massive hard drive hog, it took about 30 minuts or more for Windows to run the uninstall!)

Cheers,

Organdude

I already uninstalled the Acrobat Proffesional trial version that came with my new notebook for example, can Revo still be used to scan for any possible left-over program remnants once a standard (dirty) uninstall has been done?

Organdude[/QUOTE]
NO, it can only work if it was still on your hard drive. If you reinstall it, if you can ,then run revo.