Clean DVD lens, or replace player?

vbimport

Hiya.
I have an “Apex” brand DVD player from 2002, and I’ve been experiencing problems with it for about 2 years. I’ve done a search here, and see several people having similar problems with their DVD Players. Mine has a few that I haven’t seen listed, and I know I have 2 options…lens cleaning disc, or replace the player. The question is, which option do I choose? My DVD player…

…suddenly stops in unreasonable places (not necessarily near chapter breaks), and I have to press “stop” and “play” a couple of times each to make it play again. Sometimes it will go back to the start of the last chapter and stop in the same place. Sometimes it goes back and doesn’t stop again, at all. Sometimes it just starts up again from where it left off. Sometimes all that will get it going again is to eject the disc and put it back in.
Speaking of ejecting, sometimes the DVD Player doesn’t try to eat my fingers by rapidly snapping itself closed while I slip the disc in as fast as I can. But usually it does :(.
And almost every time I am watching a movie, the picture will suddenly break up into pixels, and the sound will stutter in and out. In this situation, the only solution is to eject and put it back in.

So, is this a lost cause? Is it replace, or try a cleaning disc first? Would a cleaning help this sad old machine?

Opinions?

Thanks

Yo-

Sounds like - after 6 years - that you need to get yourself a new burner-

Would suggest a Pioneer DVR 115D - it’s reasonable - reliable and should last you another 6 years-eh!!

Cleaning the lens does not cost anything, just some of your time.
You do not need any cleaning disc, just open the case and use lens cleaner for glasses or alcohol (not drinking one).
If that does not work you can always get new player later.

[QUOTE=rme;2026769]Hiya.
I have an “Apex” brand DVD player from 2002, and I’ve been experiencing problems with it for about 2 years. I’ve done a search here, and see several people having similar problems with their DVD Players. Mine has a few that I haven’t seen listed, and I know I have 2 options…lens cleaning disc, or replace the player. The question is, which option do I choose? My DVD player…

…suddenly stops in unreasonable places (not necessarily near chapter breaks), and I have to press “stop” and “play” a couple of times each to make it play again. Sometimes it will go back to the start of the last chapter and stop in the same place. Sometimes it goes back and doesn’t stop again, at all. Sometimes it just starts up again from where it left off. Sometimes all that will get it going again is to eject the disc and put it back in.
Speaking of ejecting, sometimes the DVD Player [I]doesn’t[/I] try to eat my fingers by rapidly snapping itself closed while I slip the disc in as fast as I can. But usually it does :(.
And almost every time I am watching a movie, the picture will suddenly break up into pixels, and the sound will stutter in and out. In this situation, the only solution is to eject and put it back in.

So, is this a lost cause? Is it replace, or try a cleaning disc first? Would a cleaning help this sad old machine?

Opinions?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

First I would follow the advice of CDuncle as I would say to do the same think as well to open the case and see if you can clean the laser lens and then try to play it again. As to what bigmike7 since the OP doesn’t mention a burner or standalone which I am going to guess is a standalone player they don’t need a burner. I have a dvd burner in my computer from 02 and cleaning the laser lens helps alot in reading and playing. A little cleaning and maintenance of your hardware goes along way to longevity of the unit itself. All hardware builds up dust and oil film on the laser lens and components on the hardware internals and geting rid of those contaminates keep the hardware working. Until the unit hardware physically fails from just everyday use.

Hi. The DVD player is just a DVD player that one hooks up to the TV, no burner involved. I can’t see being able to clean the lens with alcohol as the drawer won’t stay open. However, since it [I]is[/I] 6 years old, I would consider opening it up and cleaning the lens (which I would recognise) and the “tracks” (which I would not). Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to do this, what to look for so I know what to clean?

Thank-you.

After 6 yrs you’ll find a lot of dirt there mate. Just clean whatever is dirty

I have a lens Cleaning Disc with 2 brushes, for my Standalone DVD\vidio player .
Workes Well .
kids use it lots.I watch all my DVd`s on my Computer. I only use the Standalone to check Burns if thay play and many a time it said CANT READ DISC .used Cleaning Disc Works Fine (if not Coaster goes to Bin. (NO i dont want to Wallpaper my Wall with them :bigsmile: )

OK, then. I will first try using a lens cleaner disc, if that doesn’t work I’ll open it up and clean whatever is dirty. If [I]that[/I] doesn’t work, I’ll replace the DVD player. Easy steps, sound advice.

Thanks, all. I appreciate the assistance. :smiley: