Classic Video Games..Have U ever seen them?

Have you ever seen these all-time classic video games?

Most of them are arcade games (quarter-eaters) rather than PC games, though most of them spawned PC ‘children’ later :wink:

1. Pac-Man (by Midway) - the grandaddy of them all
  2. Defender (Williams Electronics)
  3. Donkey Kong (Nintendo)
  4. Asteroids (Atari)
  5. Centipede (Atari)
  6. Qix (Taito)
  7. Phoenix (Centuri)
  8. Frogger (SEGA/Gremlin)
  9. Stargate (Williams Electronics)
  10. Pole Position (SEGA?)
  11. Ms. Pac-Man (Midway)
  12. Tempest (Atari)
  13. Omega Race (Midway)
  14. Space Invaders (!!!)
  15. Digger (?)

Perhaps we should make a list of ‘Good things to remember’ in this line and lengthen it… :wink:

Have played at least half of them.

I Believe Digger was typically a PC game…remember it from then…long long time ago… CGA monitor I believe…it was somewhere between 1983 and 1986…don’t know exactly…been too long

:slight_smile: I remember almost all of those games. –

You can still buy the atari video game systems and cartridge games online really cheap!

My additions to the list of ‘Good things to remember’ :

• Haunted House

• Berzerk

• Q-Bert

• Xevious

• Kaboom!

• Dig Dug

Oh, and we almost forgot about Pong! :bigsmile:

Check out this website to download the original Atari TV commercials, and movie theater promos. http://www.atari-history.com/

My cousins had donkey kong (actual arcade machine). It wasn’t that great IMO.

I never played those games in the actual arcades since I wasnt around then, but I have played alot of them using MAME.

I’ve played almost all of them…was arcade-crazy back then. I spent half of my high school life in these places. I’m just not sure about Digger…is this the one known as The Lode Runner?

I remember those games. At first I played them at my Atari 2600. Some years later, I got a C64, and there where more than enough arcade games ported. Another 10 years later, I found out about mame. I am still addicted to Pacman :slight_smile:

i used to own an arcade machine about 18 years ago it was the best thing ever. Whenever i wanted to change the game i (my dad did back then) just rang up the guy that sold it to me and he just changed the mainboard. I ended up sticking with galaga then some tool broke into my house and stole it

Originally posted by cocobongo772002
[B]Have you ever seen these all-time classic video games?

Most of them are arcade games (quarter-eaters) rather than PC games, though most of them spawned PC ‘children’ later :wink:
[/B]

1. Pac-Man (by Midway) - the grandaddy of them all

played , still play it sometimes

1. Defender (Williams Electronics)

err. dunno …

1. Donkey Kong (Nintendo)

played , still play it sometimes

1. Asteroids (Atari)

played

1. Centipede (Atari)

played , sucks

1. Qix (Taito)

whut ?

1. Phoenix (Centuri)

??

1. Frogger (SEGA/Gremlin)

Played , sucked

1. Stargate (Williams Electronics)

???

1. Pole Position (SEGA?)

Yep

1. Ms. Pac-Man (Midway)

Sure

1. Tempest (Atari)

nope

1. Omega Race (Midway)

nope

1. Space Invaders (!!!)

duh

1. Digger (?)

oh yeah !

to add :

Super Mario Bros
Checkered Flag
Deathrace
Zaxxon
Jumping Jack Flash
Chase HQ
Robocop
PONG , how could you forget pong !
Gorillas.bas
Outrun
Bubble Bobble
Elevator Action II
Commando (no , the old one)
Operation Wolf , Operation Thunderbolt
Q-Bert
Spindizzy
Monty Mole
etc. etc. etc.

digger=dig dug?

the original mario bros was a classic as well, the 2 player vs mode included on the nes mario 3

and where is missile command?

Does anyone rememember that great game called scorch? The one in which you control a tank in a fixed position and vary the power and angle of your shots to kill the other immobile opponents on the map? You had plenty of weapons like nukes, mirv’s, etc.

Actually, you could move with the help of some items…

Originally posted by FlyingDutchman
[B]Does anyone rememember that great game called scorch? The one in which you control a tank in a fixed position and vary the power and angle of your shots to kill the other immobile opponents on the map? You had plenty of weapons like nukes, mirv’s, etc.

Actually, you could move with the help of some items… [/B]

scorched earth ! yyeaaaahahh !

there is one dos tank game better than that … i don’t know the name of it , but it was two players , each a home base where your health would be restored gradually and a field full of dirt (to dig or shoot holes in)…

2 things:

1. i grew with gorilla.bas, @ my dad’s office :bigsmile:
  2. let me add supaplex (my other pal @ dad’s :wink: ): kinda like pacman, i mean that there a big red ball going aruond eating.
    if you wish, i think i can legally email it to you :confused:

… last thing: could i (always legally talking) find somewhere donkey kong?

Try going to http://www.bbsoftware.net for a freeware pc clone which looks good and has some original sounding bleeps and bloops. :smiley:

The fellow also wrote a Super Mario clone :smiley:

The link may be dead, I don’t know, If so try http://www.gamehippo.com or http://www.megagames.com

Originally posted by cico85
[B]2 things:

1. i grew with gorilla.bas, @ my dad’s office :bigsmile:
  2. let me add supaplex (my other pal @ dad’s :wink: ): kinda like pacman, i mean that there a big red ball going aruond eating.
    if you wish, i think i can legally email it to you :confused:

… last thing: could i (always legally talking) find somewhere donkey kong? [/B]

Supaplex is also know in other forms , such as Boulderdash. Most linux distro’s have a freeware version of it.

Both my parents were absolutely obsessed with the game. It is brilliantly programmed , lots of sound and effects and a very good graphical engine. Too bad it doesn’t run good on a P4 with Windows XP :frowning:

Ouch!!! I remember when the hit song “Pac-Man fever” was released. I also remember when those games were released. My buddy and I would mow yards for a week to get arcade $$. Most of you guys wouldn’t know about that though sigh:smiley:

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]

Supaplex is also know in other forms , such as Boulderdash. Most linux distro’s have a freeware version of it.

Both my parents were absolutely obsessed with the game. It is brilliantly programmed , lots of sound and effects and a very good graphical engine. Too bad it doesn’t run good on a P4 with Windows XP :frowning: [/B]

I’ve got it running within Windows 2k. Only the sound doesn’t work. I guess it needs something like SET BLASTER = bla bla :slight_smile:

I’ve been addicted to that game for far too long. It was quite a hard game, but easy to hack (I made an account that coud play all levels :))…

BTW, anybody remember XOR? This was a Supaplex-like game on the C64. It only had about 25 levels, but they where really hard, I finished them all, except for one. If there’s an PC version available I’d really like to have & play it, so I can finish this game I started playing about 15 years ago :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
(supaplex taliking)
I’ve been addicted to that game for far too long. It was quite a hard game, but easy to hack (I made an account that coud play all levels :))…

lol! i got the hack bundled with the game on dad’s “pc” (guess it was 286 or something :bigsmile: ). it took me ages to understand it was a hidden file, and i had to unhide it to copy that life-saving file on my pc from the floppy…
guess i never went further than level 5 playing alone… :smiley:

I know I’m bringing back an old thread but…

If anyone’s interested in playing these old games, there’s supposedly a new MAME version out (0.102) that would emulate games on XP. If you’re good at computers, setting paths at command prompts, understand compiling the blasted new version (here’s the main page) and getting it set up as fully compiled so you can add the ROMS to it, there’s also a more ‘recent’ tutorial on compiling the MAME here. However, it seems ‘incomplete’ or leaves out some necessary steps (a guru at this might understand what the guy was saying and be able to fill in the gaps and compile it), because I only got the directories set up, but not the paths, so by the time I tried “anything else,” I obviously couldn’t fill in the missing parts to compile it. When I used to have Windows 98SE, there were already compiled MAMEs floating around, and I was able to download one, then add ROMs to it. Since I’m tired and my brain is mush, there might be fully compiled/already fully-working MAMEs that are the newest version (0.102). If someone finds one of these, let me know, please.

Yes there is one floating around on that network we all know about, packaged with about 4000 rom sets. You just got to look.

:cool: :cool: