Classic Speakers

I still use some “classic” speakers which still sound fine to me. What do you think?

Two AR 303 (improved AR 3a) L&R Front
Two NHT 1.3a L&R front
Four NHT Super Zeros Surrounds
One NHT 1.1c Center
One Design Acoustic SP 24 Center
Two NHT SW2 subwolfers

in my den:
Two Pioneer CS 99 L&R Front
Two Design Acoustic SP 8C L&R Front
Two Design Acoustic SP CV 55 Surrounds
Two Optimus Pro LX5 Surrounds
One NHT Super Zero Center
One Design Acoustic SP CV 55 Center

Those are good ones. Keep them until they blow out in twenty years. I made my own custom speakers 25 years ago and they still out perform any new stuff. It’s all about the proper frequency response for each channel and placement. I also use two 15" subs. One on each side of the room down firing. My front, rear, and side speakers are mounted ceiling high. The center channel is wall mounted below the TV.

I have several pairs of early 1990s JBL “L” series speakers that still sound better than most of the speakers I hear today that aren’t priced in the stratosphere. The pair of L100t3 I bought new is still in the family room doing duty as the front L/R speakers in a five speaker system. The bass from them is phenomenal. IMO, many older speakers are extremely well made and have excellent sound quality. I wonder if the newer speakers will have the same longevity.

[QUOTE=CCRomeo;1936520]I still use some “classic” speakers which still sound fine to me. What do you think?

Two AR 303 (improved AR 3a) L&R Front
Two NHT 1.3a L&R front
Four NHT Super Zeros Surrounds
One NHT 1.1c Center
One Design Acoustic SP 24 Center
Two NHT SW2 subwolfers

in my den:
Two Pioneer CS 99 L&R Front
Two Design Acoustic SP 8C L&R Front
Two Design Acoustic SP CV 55 Surrounds
Two Optimus Pro LX5 Surrounds
One NHT Super Zero Center
One Design Acoustic SP CV 55 Center[/QUOTE]

Well I bet they sound good right? That’s what matters most then how well you like the looks of them. Looks can be very trendy one year you may like the look of a certain speaker and then the next you may not. Sound quality now that is timeless.

[quote=CCRomeo;1936520]I still use some “classic” speakers which still sound fine to me. What do you think?[/quote]The AR 3a and successors were always terrific.

Speakers are one area of sound that I don’t see any need to change just because something new comes out. Old speakers that were good to start with are usually still good unless they’ve been abused. Let’s face it: there’s only so much that can be done to improve a technical concept that has been around for so long. I don’t expect any real improvement until somebody comes up with a completely new speaker technology.

My main stereo front speakers are a pair of Polk 10 that I bought in 1981. Had to replace the tweeter in one, but they sound every bit as good now as they did when they were new.

The front speakers for my main computer are even older than the Polks. They are Wharfedale 30D bookshelfs that were manufactured about 1970 or possibly a little earlier.

I dunno if these qualify as classics. But [B]Mission M66i[/B] here. I wouldn’t swap them for anything. :slight_smile:

I have a pair of Epos ES22 speakers and we will be celebrating our 10 year anniversay next month. I’m still very happy about how they sound.

[QUOTE=Dee-27;1939008]I dunno if these qualify as classics. But [B]Mission M66i[/B] here. I wouldn’t swap them for anything. :)[/QUOTE]

Yo Dee-

I agree - Mission builds outstanding speakers - I have a Mission center channel - Mission diapoles at the rears and atop the Cherwin Vegas in front-eh!! :smiley:

I still love my Boston Acoustic VR40 and VR12 Subwoofers VR1 Center speaker and CR8 surrounds! Nothing compares even to this day!

many speakers included in so called “Rack Systems” from 1980 on were show and no go; lots of light weight cheap drivers in a thin particle board box. My AR 303 weigh a ton, solid with three quality drivers the 12 inch woffer can rock the house if you have and amp to power them at 4 ohms; I think they will out live me.

BTW each sits on a NHT SW2 powered subwoffers for just a bit more punch at the bottom end.