Class letter to Plextor headquarters management

What do you guys think about this letter to Plextor’s headquarters office here (just up the road) in Fremont, CA? If you have any suggestions or additional concerns, please post them as replys below and I’ll copy those to my letter.

Dear PLextor Management:

I’d like to bring to your attention some concerns being discussed online by recent purchasers of your model 712A DVD drives. These discussions are occuring at:

In general:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Most notably:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=103381, and

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=104225

Will the promised next revision firmware fix the writing problems on some of these drives? If not, these guys need to know now so they can return their defective drives to the retailers for a refund. Time and honest forthright communication is of the essence.

Some of these customers have been refused refunds by the retailers, what should they do in this event?

If there is some certainty on your part that the firmware upgrade will correct all the problems, then, if possible, to make up for the inconveniences, frustrations, media and time losses caused to some of these guys that were unlucky enough to buy (albeit in good faith) one of the bad 712A’a , would you consider a firmware boost as compensation? Possibly to 16x with Dual Layer capability?

Thank you,

XXX
Plextor 712A owner,
Fremont, CA.

Bigred, nicely written.

I dont think you’d want a 16x firmware upgrade, I think the results would be aweful especially if people are having problems with 12x.

Could you please mention a Bitsetting Tool?

I was considering buying a 712a but I’m kinda afraid becuase of all of the hassles people have been having. I’d rather buy a Liteon because they’re cheaper and have more functions (16x, DL, bitsetting…)

I don’t want to be anal about your (polite but serious) efforts but did you already consider that you will most likely receive a reply from some marketing/public relations bigshot who will try to calm you down with some nicely-presented lies ?

The bitter fact is that it is very unlikely to turn bugged hardware into useable hardware by applying a simple firmware update. I must admit that I do not really know to what extend “general” write procedures (not talking about the media-specific laser power tweaks a/k/a writing strategy) or OPC procedures (if they are present in the 712A at all) are stored in a drive’s firmware - but any EEPROM has limited storage space to consider so do not expect too much.

But I highly appreciate your effort …

I say send it anyway at least it will make them more aware that some people are not happy…
Anyway its always good to highlight a problem even if they do ignore you or probably blame the media as sony used to do with the dru500ax…

BigRed,

Few things:

• A web link is not good for “paper” letter. A hardcopy of those threads is too long. Perhaps an edited version of those threads as paper attachment?
  • Sending to the Plextor’s President Isao Shoji is probably better rather than to “Management”. http://www.plextor.com/english/about/corpprofile.html

A friend of mine thinks we should also write to top magazines, especially PC World, who gave 712A “World Class 2004” award. What do you think guys?

Roger that Zevia,

I’ll send it to the Presidents office. Good idea. Let it roll down hill from there.

I’ll send email copy, so the links work, as well as the hard copy. If he’s interested enough, he can have someone type those links in to have a look. I’m presuming of course that he has a computer with Internet access (one could wonder about that though).

LOL! Good luck on trying to get Plextor to cooperate with what you want. Do you really think a company will bow down to some forum site? They have much more important issues to worry about than some forum site. If you all are so displeased with the 712 drive then get your money back and purchase another brand. Tired of reading how the Plextor drives are blamed because it doesn’t work accordingly. There are so many variables in dvd burning. There is no WRITTEN DEFINITION on how to back up dvds. Most of the issues are software and media related problems. Good Luck on your letter! As for some class action suit that is funny. But hey if it ever happens I :bow: to all of you.

A company that wants to stay a company will listen to it’s customers. There are thousands that read these forums daily. A company cannot sustain the thousands of negative impressions it makes from the unanswered testimonials of it’s customers. For every customer revenue dollar lost, it takes three dollars in advertising to get replacement customers.

Good attempt, but most likely to fail since this forum is not representing the majority of Plextor users. If you are lucky you’ll get a diplomatic (but likely useless) response. However, nothing wrong to try it :slight_smile:

Give it a try, it costs nothing, and maybe they offer something, but I am afraid they won’t.

regards, Stephen

LOL! Good luck on trying to get Plextor to cooperate with what you want. Do you really think a company will bow down to some forum site? They have much more important issues to worry about than some forum site. If you all are so displeased with the 712 drive then get your money back and purchase another brand. Tired of reading how the Plextor drives are blamed because it doesn’t work accordingly. There are so many variables in dvd burning. There is no WRITTEN DEFINITION on how to back up dvds. Most of the issues are software and media related problems. Good Luck on your letter! As for some class action suit that is funny. But hey if it ever happens I to all of you.

We are not complaining about not being able to backup DVDs and system and software have no bearing as I’ll explain below. We are complaining about buying a 12X writer that cannot even write recommended media at 8X correctly.

Test scenario:

Unplug IDE cable from PX-712A and place extra jumper to enable test mode. Power on and hold eject button. Plextor opens and is ready to do a test burn. Insert recommended media (I used Taiyo Yuden TYG01) and the Plextor will burn and verify the disc then open. Switch off, re-connect cables etc. and boot into Windows.

Now we have a disc that was burned by the PX-712A entirely on it’s own. The drive was not connected to computer so no conflicts of hardware or software could exist.

When this disc is scanned the PI Errors reach a maximum of 900!. I have repeated the tests with RITEK G05 and FUJIFILM 03 with the same results and with a new PSU with the same results again. Other people on this forum also report the same results.

Conclusion: Many PX-712A Units are not capable of writing DVD-R media at 8X.

Plextor need to be made aware of this and we should not accept responses telling us it is the media or the software we are using.

Taroth

Taroth is right about this guys, look at his post directly above this one…

It ALMOST sounds like false advertisement…which MAY be a good angle to approach this from, if Plextor is unwilling to “listen” to its customers.

I have repeated the tests with RITEK G05 and FUJIFILM 03 with the same results and with a new PSU with the same results again.

Read the RECOMMENDED BRANDS OF MEDIA at Plextors 712 compatibility chart. RITEK is listed as COMPATIBLE just because it’s listed on compatible chart doesn’t mean it will work with the 712 drive. Read where it says RECOMMENDED, no where is RITEK listed as RECOMMENDED BRAND. You have MAXELL, TAIYO YUDEN, TDK, MCC as RECOMMENDED BRANDS OF DVD-R MEDIA TO USE.

The problems you’re having is just the same as when the 708a drive came out. The complaints were about media not being compatible. Using the recommended brands fixed the problem. This is why I think it’s silly that a letter should be written to Plextor. In my opinion use the RECOMMENDED BRANDS OF MEDIA not the COMPATIBLE BRANDS. Then you won’t have problems. A power supply would have nothing to do with having high PI/PO scans.

Hmm? then what about the problems I have had, as well as pchilson. Our burners could not even write to Taiyo Yuden discs. TY are regarded by many to be among the best of manufacturers. In fact, Plextor sells TY disc under their own brand name. My replacement drive cannot even write TY +R 4x @ 6x. Check the firmware 1.03 & 1.04 threads.

@DVD_ADDICT:

Some of us tested Recommended media as well as Compatible ones. We have posted lots of test review with images and charts in the firmware 1.03 & 1.04 threads. I posted one of them here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=652224&postcount=6. The brand is Samsung with code YUDEN000-T01-00 4x rated.

Ok, lets say that brand counts and Samsung sucks. So what brand do you use? The original Taiyo Yuden brand?

Then how do we explain that kamikazee can burn perfectly at 8x with cheap media that I never heard? http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=662367&postcount=90

@ DVD ADDICT

Please read my post fully! especially the part: Insert recommended media (I used Taiyo Yuden TYG01)

Taroth

@ zevia

I am having somewhat the same problem with those Samsung’s with the TY media code. They all have the wierd spike like yours.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=104127

Any idea will elicit negative responses from negative minded people. Usually the more negative the response, the more likelyhood of success.
Send the letter. Can’t hurt, may help.

PWY

Bigred,
Nice letter, I hope Plextor will come through!! Tried firmware v. 1.04, did nothing, still can’t burn on DVD-R, even on recommended media!! Emailed Plextor support, gave bogus fixes, and I quote

"Please update your motherboard bios and eide controller drivers from your motherboard mfgr. Also, try adding a jumper to the DMA pins on the back of your drive, as some ide controllers work better in that mode.

Plextor America Support Team - Jack"

I had the latest BIOS, the latest eide drivers, added a jumper to the DMA pin. Well, guess what, ruined another 2 discs before removing jumper.