Civ4 copy-protection issue

vbimport

I recently purchased Civilization Chronicles and installed (then played) the copy of Civ4 contained therein. Shortly thereafter I noticed that my optical drive was no longer functioning properly within the Windows installation into which I had installed Civ4.

My drive shows up, to some degree or another, everywhere I’ve checked, except for “My Computer.” It appears in the Registry, in Device Manager, and under “Safely Remove Hardware” in the system tray.

My computer is a laptop (Latitude D600) for which I have multiple hard drives and optical drives. This issue affects every optical drive I’ve tried with the affected hard drive, and is not present with other hard drives.

To get to the point, I would like direction to the method by which my issue can be resolved, without resorting to an OS re-install, and preferably keeping the game functional. If any further details are necessary, I would be happy to provide them. Thanks in advance.

[quote=SacredByte;2145278]I recently purchased Civilization Chronicles and installed (then played) the copy of Civ4 contained therein. Shortly thereafter I noticed that my optical drive was no longer functioning properly within the Windows installation into which I had installed Civ4.

My drive shows up, to some degree or another, everywhere I’ve checked, except for “My Computer.” It appears in the Registry, in Device Manager, and under “Safely Remove Hardware” in the system tray.

My computer is a laptop (Latitude D600) for which I have multiple hard drives and optical drives. This issue affects every optical drive I’ve tried with the affected hard drive, and is not present with other hard drives.

To get to the point, I would like direction to the method by which my issue can be resolved, without resorting to an OS re-install, and preferably keeping the game functional. If any further details are necessary, I would be happy to provide them. Thanks in advance.[/quote]
Most likely you have installed SecuRom when you installed the game…

If you want to completely remove SecuROM after uninstalling this game, including the ‘SecuROM User Access’ Service it installs in Windows, follow these steps:

1. Uninstall the game as normal.
  2. Manually delete the game directory (typically \Program Files\Atari\Crashday-demo\
  3. Go to Start>Run and type “Services.msc” (without quotes) and press Enter.
  4. Go to the ‘Securom User Access’ Service, double click on it, click Stop and then set it to Disabled.
  5. Go to \Windows\System32\ directory and delete the UAService7.exe file.
  6. Go to Start>Run and type “sc delete useraccess7” (without quotes) and press Enter.

Note: This Service may be recreated by one of your other SecuROM games, in which case you will have to keep it running to play them.

The following steps are very risky and only for people who are certain none of their currently installed games use or need SecuROM:

1. Go to \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ and delete the SecuROM sub-directory.
  2. Go to Start>Run and type “Regedit” (without quotes) and press Enter. Then find the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SecuROM] key and delete it if possible.

There is no guaranteed removal method - each new SecuROM game may have additional secuROM files/folders which may require specific manual instructions for removal.

Thanks for the post, but my problem appears to be caused by SafeDisc rather than SecuROM.

Specifically, the service/HKLM key you referenced do no appear on my system, however several associated with SafeDisc do.

Also, as I stated in my previous post, I purchased the software and wish to make use of it, so any “solution” that involves permanent removal of it (not just to reinstall without DRM) does not fit the bill.

[quote=SacredByte;2145314]Thanks for the post, but my problem appears to be caused by SafeDisc rather than SecuROM.

Specifically, the service/HKLM key you referenced do no appear on my system, however several associated with SafeDisc do.[/quote]
Well was not really sure there are a few protections methods used on games and securom is the latest release…AFAIK

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2145317]Well was not really sure there are a few protections methods used on games and securom is the latest release…AFAIK[/QUOTE]

Not a problem.

Also, my best guess is that the root of the issue is that the DRM software saw my virtual drives and/or the program that maintains them and blacklisted all my optical drives. This isn’t good news either, since I need to be able to mount/burn all the ISO’s I get from Microsoft (DreamSpark)…

[quote=SacredByte;2145325]Not a problem.

Also, my best guess is that the root of the issue is that the DRM software saw my virtual drives and/or the program that maintains them and blacklisted all my optical drives. This isn’t good news either, since I need to be able to mount/burn all the ISO’s I get from Microsoft (DreamSpark)…[/quote]
Not sure if DRM is the problem, course I really can not say cause I don’t deal with it…I have it disabled on my systems

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2145333]Not sure if DRM is the problem, course I really can not say cause I don’t deal with it…I have it disabled on my systems[/QUOTE]

Had I anticipated it being an issue, I would have taken steps. I naturally assumed that any company (that wished to stay in business anyway) would never be so stupid as to treat their paying customers like thieves.

In any case, I have numerious points of data that would seem to point to Civ4/something that installed alongside it.

[ol]
[li]I have several other hard drives containing Windows installations which do not have Civ4 installed where my CD drive works properly. This proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is not a hardware problem.
[/li]
[li]Up until shortly after installing Civ4 (likely until it was run for the first time) this OS install had no issues with any optical drive I’d ever used with it.
[/li]
[li]I’ve seen reports that some versions of Civ4 come wrapped in SafeDisc which is known to cause problems like this when it detects certain virtual drive managers.
[/li][/ol]

All signs I can read point to “SafeDisc is preventing my CD drive from functioning as it is intended.”

The question remains: How can it be removed such that my I regain the use of my CD drive.

I know, more or less, the principle by which the issue is being caused; SafeDisc has installed itself as a driver in between the OS and the actual hardware driver. Upon detecting certain conditions on the host OS, it will cause the host OS to be unable to use the drive in question.

Thanks in advance.