Civ3 PTW 1.14 & Alcohol

OK, it apears that the latest patch of Civ3: PTW (1.14) has blacklisted Alcohol 120%. This blacklisting goes beyond testing the vender ID information of the virtual CD – at least I’ve changed the values and it still doesn’t work.

Any idea how to get around this? The game works fine from the original CD, so it must be a blacklisting.

Chris P.

hi,

Yeah /me thinks that this second CTP patch blacklisted some proggies, cuzzz Blindwite 4.2.4 doesnt work, but install 4.2.5 and it does work !? :confused:

If you check with securom analyzer it says 4.84.xxx where the previous patch said 4.83.xxx

Create a new BWA with Blindwrite 4.2.5 and burn it with that program … should work without mounting ! :smiley:

greets

Originally posted by GrOuNdHoG
[B]
If you check with securom analyzer it says 4.84.xxx where the previous patch said 4.83.xxx

Create a new BWA with Blindwrite 4.2.5 and burn it with that program … should work without mounting ! :smiley:

[/B]

Yeah, except, gol dangit, I can’t get BWA to work on my cd-writer (LG GCE 8160b). Gives me an error message everytime I try it. Grrrrr.

Chris P.

hi,

ERmmm, have you tried creating a MDS with alcohol then convert it to BWA with bwabuilder, you dont have to be able to actually use it, just convert it !?

Then start the writing sequence !

Greets

Originally posted by GrOuNdHoG
[B]hi,

ERmmm, have you tried creating a MDS with alcohol then convert it to BWA with bwabuilder, you dont have to be able to actually use it, just convert it !?

Then start the writing sequence !

Greets [/B]

Tried that. It resulted in a cd that was unreadable (the computer wouldn’t run with the cd in the drive). Curious. Gave me a nice lookin’ bwa file, though.

Chris P.

I was rather hoping when I started this thread that someone might be able to tell me how PTW 1.14 has blacklisted Alchohol. It ain’t in the vendor name, because I changed that. Can it be that there’s a way to blacklist Alcohol altogether, in which case Alchohol’s emulations may soon be worthless.

Chris P.

Originally posted by ChrisP
I was rather hoping when I started this thread that someone might be able to tell me how PTW 1.14 has blacklisted Alchohol.

Device driver name or service. Wait for ALC update.

Well, to me the immediate problem is kinda moot, as I managed to make a copy of the game last night (I try and use copies to play a game, and store my originals in a safe place). It’s protected by the evil securerom 4.x, but using a combination of Alcohol and Blindwrite, I managed to copy it, as follows:

1. Copied the disc with Alcohol.

2. Used BWA Builder to convert the mds file to a bwa. (For some reason, BWA builder can’t create a bwa file from a cd on my PC).

3. Copied the disc with Blindwrite.

4. Wrote out the image with Blindwrite, using the BWA file I got from Alcohol.

Works like a charm. :bow:

I’m running XP Home with a LG GCE 8160b cd-rw.

Still, I liked the ability to play the game from a disc image without having to insert the disc. Faster and more convenient.

Chris P.