Circuits from Recycled Plastic?

Woot!
Linky!
Onwards march the waterproof circuits.

How many people have dropped their mobile phone in the toilet, a puddle, in a sink full of water, accidentally fed it to their geese, ducks or goldfish?
And then, in a serious brainfart moment … turn it on … poof.
$1000, and a wish that your insurance will cover it … if you have insurance.

Now a thing of the past …

A couple of aussies have invented a the plastic circuit … and it can even be recycled plastic.

This is wonderful for two reasons, firstly that the plastic circuit boards use less energy to create in the first place (not to mention can be manufactured from recycled plastics) and can also BE recycled afterwards.
Secondly, the Disposal Method (incineration) for current PCB circuit boards is very environmentally unfriendly & leaves lots of nasty chemicals for everyone to breathe.

Your thoughts?

Dreams of burning Blurays, or just watching the latest hit movie, while waiting for the perfect wave, on your surfboard … is not far away :wink:

I like the idea if it works.Only testing will prove that.
The heat of some electronics would be the problem.Breakdown over time caused by heat.
Plastic covers a large area of chemical compounds & while a nice idea to have “recycleable” plactic used .A plastic compound made to disapate heat & withstand other chemicals would be a better choice,That probably would be less enviromentally friendly.
Technology like this is already being used.I would call polymer batteries a “plastic” circuit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_polymer_battery

[QUOTE=cholla;2306797]I like the idea if it works.Only testing will prove that.
The heat of some electronics would be the problem.Breakdown over time caused by heat.
Plastic covers a large area of chemical compounds & while a nice idea to have “recycleable” plactic used .A plastic compound made to disapate heat & withstand other chemicals would be a better choice,That probably would be less enviromentally friendly.
Technology like this is already being used.I would call polymer batteries a “plastic” circuit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_polymer_battery[/QUOTE]
Keep in mind that some of the most heat resistant substances on earth are polymer based. These plastic circuits are just the beginning of a beautiful relationship :iagree:

Just think … an entire PC rolled up like a pen, in your pocket :wink:

I remember my 1975 Honda 400Four (which I still have), brand new, kept blowing fuses. I finally, out of frustration removed the fuse box and installed in line fuses. No more problem. 2 years later Honda had a recall, the plastic was conductive and was shorting the fuse box to ground. Plastic does cover a wide range indeed.

I made a simple timing circuit with a 666 timer and a piece of paper using pencil to make the conductive leads. It worked, had a few problems, but it worked.

I made a simple timing circuit with a 666 timer

The devil you say. Don’t you mean 555 timer? Or 556 if it’s a dualie…

It was so long ago I added 111 to it, excuse me.So sorry. I still have a bag of about 30 of them in my barn someone gave me. I guess you would call it I.C. Hyperbole.