Circuit City Will Go Out of Business

vbimport

Yes there has been news last few days that Circuit City soon will be closed and go out of business. It is sad to see such outfit closed its door and become history. Not just some losing their job but us as customers having one less competition on consumer electronics.

No such loss in my mind.

Best Buy and Frys are better anyway. All Circuit City stores around here were very lame, with poor selection of TVs, or even music. Also, the least knowledgable stuff of the three stores mentioned.

The right place for CC is next to CompUSA.

[QUOTE=nickmil1970;2145688]No such loss in my mind.

Best Buy and Frys are better anyway. All Circuit City stores around here were very lame, with poor selection of TVs, or even music. Also, the least knowledgable stuff of the three stores mentioned.

The right place for CC is next to CompUSA.[/QUOTE]

.Although I agree with premise of your post but still sad to see some people getting out of job in this holiday season also not very town or city have Fry’s Electronics so they remain mostly with one outfit (BB) with no competition.

IMO, CC has been on the decline for years. In my area their choice of store locations were horrible decisions and if this is typical elsewhere is probably the single biggest reason they are in trouble.

[QUOTE=UTR;2145695]IMO, CC has been on the decline for years. In my area their choice of store locations were horrible decisions and if this is typical elsewhere is probably the single biggest reason they are in trouble.[/QUOTE]

You are right these issues show what a poor judgement their mangement makes and how they out of reality as what the real maket situation is.

[QUOTE=TCAS;2145696]You are right these issues show what a poor judgement their mangement makes and how they out of reality as what the real maket situation is.[/QUOTE]

OTOH, Best Buy has done an excellent job in my area of opening up stores in very convenient locations and neighborhoods with a growing and fairly affluent population. They has also have been quick to shut down and relocate stores to that were failing or marginal performers.

[QUOTE=UTR;2145706]OTOH, Best Buy has done an excellent job in my area of opening up stores in very convenient locations and neighborhoods with a growing and fairly affluent population. They has also have been quick to shut down and relocate stores to that were failing or marginal performers.[/QUOTE]

But when it comes to get the good sale prices I will not look for Best Buy unless you get them to go for advertised prices from other outfit (mainly Fry’s Electronics) to price match. And then it will be harder to find an attractive sale prices from places like BB now that CC going down.

A lot of it has to do with getting rid of more experienced employees. Around the beginning of 2007, they decided to get rid of all their higher paid employees (and openly said that is what they were doing). They of course lost all the people with experience. After that they really went down the toilet.

Since then their sales have gone right down the toilet (record sales drops). their stock holders have been pressuring them for a while to sell the company (and there has been at least one offer). The only benefit I can see, is that hopefully other company’s will realize
you have to have at least some better paid, more experienced and more knowledgeable employees, especially in electronics. Its already disgusting how low cooperate America has forced wages for many. It looks like right now, they are planning on closing stores and having more layoffs to avoid bankruptcy, so they are not out of buisness yet, but maybe headed that way.

I have my own story about their poor service. They pissed me off so bad I went on a crusade to get 24$ gift cards (for not having your instore pickup order ready). I did try to resolve the issue through management/cooperate (I drove 30 miles after getting an order confirmation, they didn’t have the stuff and the manager didn’t want to do anything to resolve it, he just keep saying call the 800 number). So it took a good month and a half and dozens of phone calls to resolve it and they gave me a 50$ gift card. I think they were hoping I would give up and go away. They could have just offered me a 24$ gift card in the first place, and I would have been happy, but I have learned you often have to fight to get them to honor that policy (they must make a lot of mistakes and probably get in trouble if they give out too many cards so they don’t offer them and even fight about giving them at all). In the mean time, I took advantage of their incompetence out of anger and scored several hundred dollars worth of 24$ gift cards and probably got 1000$ worth of free merchandise (at regular value, a lot was on clearance). I made the orders just over the 25$ minimum where possible and used the previous gift card to pay, so it only cost a few dollars each time. They screwed up just about every order at several stores (the level of incompetence was amazing). I got a nas (netgear on clearance), a couple of dozen ink cartridges for my canon, a couple of rc planes, a couple of gyration universal pc remotes, 3 portable dvd player docking stations (they make great clock radios with picture frame and amplified speakers for whatever you want to plug in, one’s on a computer and only 6$), a tv antenna rotator, a gigabyte switch, and probably better than a dozen other things that don’t come to mind right now, all almost free. I kind of gave up when the good stuff on clearance dried up. Maybe after Christmas there will be more, lol.

So does this mean ALL the Circuit City stores in every state will go out of business?

There are going to be more as each year pass and people realize that you can go online and get almost all things shipped to you without paying a tax. I know I have ordered at least 4000 dollars worth this year. Just ordered a new larger mail box. 32.45 I notices that Lowes when I was there yesterday had the same box for 29.95 but with tax would have been a little. The big thing I did not have to go and look through store to buy. I move here in a small town area 15 years ago the only store open on Sunday was walmart. Now a lot more stores are open. The problem is that where I used to buy cdroms, printers,tool and other things like that at walmart I now just go online. I got my last dvd player last month sent to me by amazon.com for 3 dollars less and I had to go nowhere. Bigger items are a little be harder but I am sure I will be able to order things like a washer online and save the tax and money if not now in just a few years. If they do not stop the no tax online then they are going to hurt states even more as people figure this out.

[quote=ripit;2145719]A lot of it has to do with getting rid of more experienced employees. Around the beginning of 2007, they decided to get rid of all their higher paid employees (and openly said that is what they were doing). They of course lost all the people with experience. After that they really went down the toilet.

Since then their sales have gone right down the toilet (record sales drops). their stock holders have been pressuring them for a while to sell the company (and there has been at least one offer). The only benefit I can see, is that hopefully other company’s will realize
you have to have at least some better paid, more experienced and more knowledgeable employees, especially in electronics. Its already disgusting how low cooperate America has forced wages for many. It looks like right now, they are planning on closing stores and having more layoffs to avoid bankruptcy, so they are not out of buisness yet, but maybe headed that way.

I have my own story about their poor service. They pissed me off so bad I went on a crusade to get 24$ gift cards (for not having your instore pickup order ready). I did try to resolve the issue through management/cooperate (I drove 30 miles after getting an order confirmation, they didn’t have the stuff and the manager didn’t want to do anything to resolve it, he just keep saying call the 800 number). So it took a good month and a half and dozens of phone calls to resolve it and they gave me a 50$ gift card. I think they were hoping I would give up and go away. They could have just offered me a 24$ gift card in the first place, and I would have been happy, but I have learned you often have to fight to get them to honor that policy (they must make a lot of mistakes and probably get in trouble if they give out too many cards so they don’t offer them and even fight about giving them at all). In the mean time, I took advantage of their incompetence out of anger and scored several hundred dollars worth of 24$ gift cards and probably got 1000$ worth of free merchandise (at regular value, a lot was on clearance). I made the orders just over the 25$ minimum where possible and used the previous gift card to pay, so it only cost a few dollars each time. They screwed up just about every order at several stores (the level of incompetence was amazing). I got a nas (netgear on clearance), a couple of dozen ink cartridges for my canon, a couple of rc planes, a couple of gyration universal pc remotes, 3 portable dvd player docking stations (they make great clock radios with picture frame and amplified speakers for whatever you want to plug in, one’s on a computer and only 6$), a tv antenna rotator, a gigabyte switch, and probably better than a dozen other things that don’t come to mind right now, all almost free. I kind of gave up when the good stuff on clearance dried up. Maybe after Christmas there will be more, lol.[/quote]

Just look at the fact CC has been VERY bad about NOT putting on even respectable sales on brand name merchandise since 3 years ago during Turkey Day and X-mas sales. In many cases, their ‘sale’ prices were easily $50 more than what I could buy the same thing for online (AND I could get far more for that extra $50 too). A big thing is that they just got greedy. Another thing is one that I didn’t realize (about them getting rid of their experienced/higher-salaried employees), but it fits with all the young people working I’ve seen (rarely have seen anyone over 25). Just on that basis alone they deserve to go out of business at least eventually–and this massive amount of store closings and layoffs are a good sign they could be on their way.

Why would anyone want to buy anything like a LCD tv at a store like this anymore I did 2 years ago at walmart because I would have year to pay for with no interest. I then realized I could have purchased the same thing online for a lot less so the savings on interest was not worth anything.

If they keep going the way they are, the company is dead. They know it was a fatal mistake to lay off all their more experienced/more qualified employees, but a year and a half later they have done nothing to try and get good people working at the store again. Even the managers seem to be a bunch of young, inexperienced kids (which can be fun for a prick like me because they are easy to manipulate). I occasionally check their clearance, and they have been jacking many of the prices back up to full retail or higher, even on old, discontinued, and obsolete merchandise, and raising prices way up, especially when the economy is bad, is not going to help sales. Its obvious that their current executives have no idea how to save the company (closing stores means lost sales, laying off people means more unemployment to pay). Their stock holders have been pressuring them to sell for quite a while though. If they get sold, and the new company makes some drastic changes, perhaps they could survive (it worked when sears bought kmart), but who knows what will be left of them by then. I live in Dallas, TX (not exactly a small town), and there isn’t a kmart within 400 miles.

Here is a good example on jacking prices up. A store brand pci firewire card that was on clearance for 10$. I know because its among the stuff I got with gift cards. Now its on clearance for 34.99$
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/NexxTech-3-Port-PCI-Card-N3PFWPC/sem/rpsm/context/outlet/oid/150495/catOid/-18301/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
For comparison, newegg has 7 firewire cards under 10$, 13 between 10-25$, and 13 between 25-50$. Not exactly competitive pricing from circuit city for a generic store brand card.

[QUOTE=TCAS;2145718]But when it comes to get the good sale prices I will not look for Best Buy unless you get them to go for advertised prices from other outfit (mainly Fry’s Electronics) to price match. And then it will be harder to find an attractive sale prices from places like BB now that CC going down.[/QUOTE]

I buy most of my electronics stuff from Newegg. They have good prices, a decent return policy, quick shipping and it is convenient as hell. If I need a computer component that day I get from a local Mom & Pop store that has very good prices for a brick and mortar store. I get my best deals from the big electronics stores by just browsing at random. Best Buy puts things on sale that are never advertised and you won’t know it unless you go there and shop. I think most of these kind of sales are limited to just one or two stores in a small geographical area. One of the best I found recently is 50 packs of TDK DVD+R for $4.99 that was not advertised. Not the best media but it serves its purpose for my needs.

IME, when you order something online at Best Buy and select pickup, they actually send you a confirmation e-mail and then send you another one, usually 10 minutes later, when your order is ready for pickup. The last few times with Circuit City - and we’re talking different stores - I’ve waited a few hours and not gotten the order ready e-mail. Then when I’ve gone to pick it up they’ve said it’s been ready and acted surprised that I never got the e-mail.

[QUOTE=samlar;2145727]There are going to be more as each year pass and people realize that you can go online and get almost all things shipped to you without paying a tax. I know I have ordered at least 4000 dollars worth this year. Just ordered a new larger mail box. 32.45 I notices that Lowes when I was there yesterday had the same box for 29.95 but with tax would have been a little. The big thing I did not have to go and look through store to buy. I move here in a small town area 15 years ago the only store open on Sunday was walmart. Now a lot more stores are open. The problem is that where I used to buy cdroms, printers,tool and other things like that at walmart I now just go online. I got my last dvd player last month sent to me by amazon.com for 3 dollars less and I had to go nowhere. Bigger items are a little be harder but I am sure I will be able to order things like a washer online and save the tax and money if not now in just a few years. If they do not stop the no tax online then they are going to hurt states even more as people figure this out.[/QUOTE]

Don’t you have to report it to IRS, the sales tax you have not paid buying on-line and added to your income? I do my own taxes and I know they ask you that on their form.

[QUOTE=fairplay;2145941]Don’t you have to report it to IRS, the sales tax you have not paid buying on-line and added to your income? I do my own taxes and I know they ask you that on their form.[/QUOTE]

Any online outfit shipping to CA their have to collect and send to state the sales tax otherwise they will be barred banded doing business in CA and will liable in court for state loss of revenue.

[QUOTE=TCAS;2145943]Any online outfit shipping to CA their have to collect and send to state the sales tax otherwise they will be barred banded doing business in CA and will liable in court for state loss of revenue.[/QUOTE]

So you mean then it is ok for us in Ca. not to report it on our tax forms?

[QUOTE=TCAS;2145943]Any online outfit shipping to CA their have to collect and send to state the sales tax otherwise they will be barred banded doing business in CA and will liable in court for state loss of revenue.[/QUOTE]

Didn’t New York try this tactic with Newegg recently and they told them to pound sand? I know they quit collecting state sales tax on behalf of New York. How can California supersede Federal Law or prevent any out of state company from shipping goods legally purchased by their residents?

[QUOTE=UTR;2145961]Didn’t New York try this tactic with Newegg recently and they told them to pound sand? I know they quit collecting state sales tax on behalf of New York. How can California supersede Federal Law or prevent any out of state company from shipping goods legally purchased by their residents?[/QUOTE]

Yep I posted about that a while back newegg told NY to take their tax and shove it up their arse. :bigsmile: :iagree:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/2116424-post1.html