Cinema Craft Encoder error

Hi

I’ve search all over for anyone having a similar problem but I couldn’t find any threads on this. Anyway, I’m trying to follow the tutorial on this site for converting an .AVI file to an SVCD, but CCE 2.5 keeps halting. DVD2SVCD loads CCE, and the script enters in a filename, but then it sits there for about 5 seconds and then Windows pops up a message saying CCE “has encountered a problem and needs to close.”

For the life of me I don’t understand what could be causing this. Only last week I formatted my hard disk and reinstalled Windows XP, so there is very little on my system right now that could be the culprit. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled CCE multiple times. I also tried playing with the compatibility setting that Windows XP provides, and I tried using a utility to change the header of the .AVI file from DIV3 to DIV4. I would have also tried checking the “convert divx3 to div4” option in DVD2SVCD, but that option is disabled.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks

Can anyone help? I have since tried different versions (both earlier and later than 2.5) w/o any luck. (The earlier version simply doesn’t work and the later versions won’t allow the output to be saved). I just don’t understand why it isn’t working. The script automatically types in a .AVS file name in the “Open Movie” window, and then that little window disappears and it freezes. 5 seconds later, Windows XP tells me the program has encountered an error.

Any help would really be appreciated.

The problem can well be tha actual AVI file itself, even though it may appear to play okay on your PC.

Can you report here the Codec used for both the Video & Audio as reported by GSPOT ? ( http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ )

Also run the avi through DivFix and DivXRepair (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=75428& ) to check that the avi is not faulty.

Thanks for your reply. DivFix has solved my problem! I guess it was audio related. Before using DivFix, the audio processing took about 1 minute. Afterwards, it probably took…10 minutes. Now CCE is actually DOING something! Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

On a side note, I noticed CCE approximated its amount of time needed to process the movie at about 55 minutes (however when watching the clock it seems to be falling faster than real time). Is that just for the first pass, or does that include all 3 passes? (I’m not letting it run right now because I want to sleep and my computer keeps me up. :stuck_out_tongue: ) I only ask because you stated in the tutorial that an athlon 1800 could take 5 to 7 hours. i’m running a dual athlon mp 1900 system, but dual processors can hinder some tasks, especially when software isn’t specifically designed to take advantage of multiple cpus. thus, i was expecting my run to take about the same time as you quoted.

anyway, thanks again.

Good to hear is all sorted.

As for the time to encode, if your doing a 3 pass encode, its actually 4 passes. The first pass does the primary file inspection and creates a *.VAF file,. This pass quotes an approx time (which varies for time to time depending on the picture complexity) and will be an approc time for each subsequent pass. So if firsst pass (the vaf file) is quoting 1 hr, then the next 3 passes will take another 3 hrs. 4hr of total encoding plus another 30-1hr of audio extraction/conversion/muxing/pulldown etc.

You really need to run the whole movie through to get an accurate time and when your done it a few times, you will get a “feel” for your machine and the time it takes.

ah, I see. well everything seems to have worked out very well. thanks again!