Cinavia detection?

vbimport

Is there any way to detect cinavia before you burn a disc?

Play the ripped video for 20 minutes (minimum) in a software player that is known to have Cinavia detection. Arcsoft TMT 6 and WinDVD 11.5 will stop playback of the audio from burned discs or from files on the hard drive.

Look on the label and see if it says Sony Pictures anywhere. The vast majority of films with Cinavia come from that studio.

There is a list, you can use search engine to find “Cinavia protection - DVDFab Blog” for lists of movies.
Although I don’t know if the lists are exhaustive, if you see a movie on that list, it does have cinavia.

I would be curious if that it does contain all movies with cinavia.
I think I counted around 115 BD titles, also there are a few dvd movies listed there.

Hello Kerry and Steve. Thanks for the list link. I have the older list and didn’t know if there was an update.

Play the ripped video for 20 minutes (minimum)…

I put the video on a thumb drive so I can hard code the subs and make them larger. (yes we are old-quit laughing) I’ve never had it trip the Cinavia. After I burn it is a different story. I’m using the Sony BDP-S590. (your laughing again) I really liked it, especially the WIFI. So it doesn’t seem to detect Cinavia on a thumb, at least on the Sony.
Now we’re getting a message to update from the Sony. If I had a player that wasn’t infected it would freak me out but considering it already detects Cinavia would it cause any harm? Unless, of course, it started detecting Cinavia on the thumb drive.
Any opinions?

I don’t know the answer to that skoville. I believe Sony could implement Cinavia detection from the usb drive if they wanted to, so updating the firmware does have some risk.

You should probably go to avsforum and find the official thread for your Sony player. The information may already be available there on Cinavia being activated for something other than discs. Or you could join that site and ask your question directly.

On my way. Thanks again.

One guy has reported (not confirmed) that playing from usb drive on his BDP-S390 player will activate the cinavia notice.
Unknown variables include updating firmware.
There is evidence that updating firmware for some older players give the player the ability to detect cinavia.

FIW I use DVDFab to make copies of various discs I run them through DVDFab. If the disc has Cinavia on it, DVDFab has an option to “Create Protected Disc to disable Cinavia…” If the disc does not have Cinavia then the option is greyed out. So far I have not come across any discs that had the option greyed out that did in fact have Cinavia. If the option is not greyed out, then I don’t waste my time trying to make a copy.

Hi rick,
What version is that? I have DVDFab 9.0.6.0 and can’t find that option. 9.0.7.8 ? Maybe?

Never mind. I guess you have to have a BD in for it to even show. Have to check that out. Thanks for the HU.

[QUOTE=rick16706;2705276]FIW I use DVDFab to make copies of various discs I run them through DVDFab. If the disc has Cinavia on it, DVDFab has an option to “Create Protected Disc to disable Cinavia…” If the disc does not have Cinavia then the option is greyed out. So far I have not come across any discs that had the option greyed out that did in fact have Cinavia. If the option is not greyed out, then I don’t waste my time trying to make a copy.[/QUOTE]

That’s correct and it’s also probably the quickest and simplest way to detect Cinavia.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Steve33;2702887]One guy has reported (not confirmed) that playing from usb drive on his BDP-S390 player will activate the cinavia notice.
Unknown variables include updating firmware.
There is evidence that updating firmware for some older players give the player the ability to detect cinavia.[/QUOTE]

It depends on the spec of the player.

Some older players, such as the one I have, are incapable of supporting Cinavia as the processors aren’t powerful enough to decode the audio stream while simultaneously bitstreaming.

Other players have indeed been updated to include Cinavia.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I checked & I’m still only using version 8 QT .
I never plan to install a version 9.
What I have only shows cinavia in the BD settings.
I didn’t find it anywhere under DVD settings.

[QUOTE=cholla;2705322]I checked & I’m still only using version 8 QT .
I never plan to install a version 9.
What I have only shows cinavia in the BD settings.
I didn’t find it anywhere under DVD settings.[/QUOTE]

There is probably only about a dozen DVDs with Cinavia known to exist ATM and most of them were released in 2011.

Even then that wouldn’t be an issue for anyone unless they’re played in a Blu-ray player as DVD players don’t understand Cinavia.

The reason they’re so rare though is that the producers have to pay licencing fees to include Cinavia so they’re reluctant in general to put it onto DVDs as they know it’s largely ineffective.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Didn’t mean to ignore you skoville, but I have the same version you do.

i wonder what those prats in the entertainment industries would say if they were told you dont own that car, you’ve only licensed it? how can anyone be such prats as to think that the people are going to continue down this road? it’s getting closer to the day when they are going to tell these industries to shove their movies and the protections were the sun dont shine! if i buy something, it is mine! i can do what i want with it and if that includes making a working backup of it, that should be my choice!! how the hell the world has let these arse holes in the entertainment industries get to the point where they are basically telling governments what they want and how to get it, is beyond me! why the hell should i be threatened with prison just because i shared a movie with someone? why should i be expected to pay extra because my kids watch a movie i bought? the best thing that could happen to the entertainment industries is that it gets permanently shut down! as i doubt if that will happen, i’d settle for the next best thing where people just stopped buying their crap and let them know who is actually keeping who!!

No problem, rick. Figured it out. Just have to use kerry’s suggestion for ripped ones.