Chromecast adds support for TV remote control – allows pausing and (re)starting

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Chromecast adds support for TV remote control – allows pausing and (re)starting[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/07/Chromecast-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Google will release a firmware update for the Chromecast dongle that provides limited support for pausing and (re)starting videos through the HDMI-CEC protocol.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/chromecast-adds-support-for-tv-remote-control-allows-pausing-and-restarting-75404/](http://www.myce.com/news/chromecast-adds-support-for-tv-remote-control-allows-pausing-and-restarting-75404/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

well this makes a nice change. not just for Google but the normal road that the majority of companies etc go down is the one that benefits them the most while screwing customers as much as possible, in what they can do, if not in the pocket!!

This is a very useful addition.

Haven’t got one myself but I set up one for a friend recently when he couldn’t get it to connect.

Impressive functionality for such an affordable piece of kit.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Wait a minute… the hdmi protocl allows for control of your tv functions?

Interesting…

“Wait a minute… the hdmi protocl allows for control of your tv functions?”

Has since 2008. More of a curse than a blessing though. If everything is connected HDMI and HDMI control is enabled on every device then pandemonium results. Turn on your TV and the BluRay, cable box, soundbar, etc. all come on. Turn one device off and they all go off.
Not to mention the infighting for a TV input. Each and every TV I setup has this feature (if possible) dissabled. ARC (audio return channel) has proven quite useful.

I also have most HDMI features disabled with the exception of ARC. The communication between HDMI ports gets random and uncontrollable. Especially frustrating is when I would try and switch between cable box, HTPC, BD player etc. with the AVR and it would keep defaulting to one unit. Sometimes it would be the BD player, other times it might be the cable box.

I have been pleased when using apps on my phone to control cable boxes, TVs and the AVR over the wifi network.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2750164]This is a very useful addition.[/QUOTE] Yes it is. It’s one I’ve been waiting for and am happy is finally here.

It’s already out. Both my Chromecasts got this new firmware (27946) last week, and I already discovered the added functionality.

The “Return” or “Exit” button is also supported and will disconnect your app from the Chromecast.

Found this information in a post by one of the Google Cast developers:

[QUOTE=olddancer;2750195]More of a curse than a blessing though. If everything is connected HDMI and HDMI control is enabled on every device then pandemonium results.[/QUOTE]

So i should be able to “control” HDMI via, for instance, the HDMI output port of my laptop? Other HDMI recieving units (surround sound systems, televisions, etc) have no choice than happily accepting this when HDMI control is enabled? There is no security or checking?

How come this has not been abused yet? :slight_smile: