Chrome projected to be more popular than Firefox by year end

vbimport

Chrome projected to be more popular than Firefox by year end.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/09/Mij7w.jpg[/newsimage]Google’s Chrome browser is in a position to steal away the number 2 browser spot from Mozilla Firefox sometime very soon. StatCounter, a Web statistics company, tracks browser usage via its free analytics tools. The data from that tracking indicates that Chrome will become more popular than Firefox by the end of 2011.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/chrome-projected-to-be-more-popular-than-firefox-by-year-end-52563/](http://www.myce.com/news/chrome-projected-to-be-more-popular-than-firefox-by-year-end-52563/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

It isn’t already?

The data from that tracking indicates that Chrome will become more popular than Firefox by the end of 2011.

Put this way it says the data indicates until there is real time usage there won’t be a real stats on what the users choose to use in the way of browsers. Projections aren’t not always to be trusted or mined to be the law of the land. Technologies change rapidly in the computer world so what is said to today won’t necessary be what is said tomorrow. So I will take this with a grain of salt and considering it isn’t released it makes the claims very hard to quantify or measure. So let’s not cherry pick or boost about claims that have yet to be real world measured tested by various independent sources that can ferret out any claims that can’t be supported.

The only reason why FF is still number one is because it was released well before Chrome - although, it is surprising that after 3 years and chrome is still second.

Yes, but with FF shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly, then reloading and doing it again… it’s not really a suprise that their share of the market is slipping now is it?

I don’t understand why people get so loyal to a browser.

Or get to hating specific browsers.

My personal expirementation with Chrome was simply a disaster
that eventually forced me to revert to a pre-Chrome clone backup of my operating system installation.

that was enough of a PITA to not be real excited about trying any new versions of it on MY system.

I’ve played with it on cloned systems and still don’t like the way Chrome deals with Favorites.

FF simply didn’t play nice with several websites I use.

Then again IE doesn’t work reliably with THIS website.

Which version? Yes.

AD

^ you forgot Opera :smiley:

Apart from that it is a really good thing to have options to chose from. Monoculture is always bad.

Without Firefox/Mozilla being so successful, IE users would still have to use that ugly IE 6.

Michael

I actually use IE most now IE9.
I’ve never had Chrome not thinking I need another browser installed.
I have & ocassionally use Opera & FF . I haven’t had any problems when I’ve used either.
With 3 already installed I probably won’t be adding Chrome as a forth.
I would have to see some major test as coolcolors suggested to convince me I need another browser.

I truly believe that Chrome will overtake FF soon enough. Their other moves might be a harder sell, WebM? WebP? Dart?

Oh, two days ago I saw a TV commercial for Chrome. Has Mozilla/FF ever advertised on TV?

[QUOTE=mciahel;2607400]^ you forgot Opera :smiley:

Apart from that it is a really good thing to have options to chose from. Monoculture is always bad.

Without Firefox/Mozilla being so successful, IE users would still have to use that ugly IE 6.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Nobody forgot Opera, it is simply forgotten by all buy a loyal few who cannot help but identify themselves at any opportunity.

As for IE6 it also is pretty much forgotten as nobody has used it since migrating away from Windows 2000… ten years ago…

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2607395]
FF simply didn’t play nice with several websites I use.

Then again IE doesn’t work reliably with THIS website.

Which version? Yes.

AD[/QUOTE]

That is a understand…the browser works with whatever the programmer programs to work with each browser they can program for IE or FF that is their choice to do as they please. Since IE was around the longest you can surmise that most apps and software was made to work with IE even if it was a hog on data. FF was suppose to simply the browsing experience but as anything simplifying does result in sacrifices somewhere along the long and you see that when FF doesn’t work and IE work different on the same web site.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2607400]^ you forgot Opera :smiley:

Michael[/QUOTE]

I didn’t just that Opera has never adjusted itself to being a competitive and useful browser that it by itself did its’ own demise.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2607444]Nobody forgot Opera, it is simply forgotten by all buy a loyal few who cannot help but identify themselves at any opportunity.
AD[/QUOTE]

Guilty as charged and not ashamed. Can you name another browser that has spawned more innovation? And as for Opera being forgotten, perhaps you should check the global mobile browser market share stats.

The desktop/laptop market pales in comparison to the mobile market. :slight_smile:

It’s all because you can play Angry Birds on Chrome . . . right?

[QUOTE=justcallmebob;2607518]It’s all because you can play Angry Birds on Chrome . . . right?[/QUOTE]

People need to get a real life and interact with real people…this is why when the networks and phone network goes down people become ZOMBIES and don’t know how to interact with other people face to face…

[QUOTE=Whappo;2607514]

The desktop/laptop market pales in comparison to the mobile market. :)[/QUOTE]

Don’t know where your getting the right info but the M$ O/S still dominates the market and is used on PC around the world and it is used to write many if not most mobile devices programs and programs mobile devices and control servers around the world that let’s mobile devices communicate with each other. So it looks like your leaving out a big elephant in the room that without that nothing would work.

Geez, I thought this was about browsers. Nothing was mentioned about OS’s.

I currently use 5 browsers. Each has its pluses and drawbacks, but on my system, I don’t see any issue with having multiple browsers other than more carrying out more frequent updates.

[B]Firefox[/B] - My main browser and works with pretty every website I use.
[B]Internet Explorer[/B] - Mainly use it for Technet Plus and Windows updates on Netbook (running XP) as these two websites don’t work well on other browsers.
[B]Chrome[/B] - Play the odd game with its apps and browse the web with it on my netbook as it runs quicker for me than Firefox.
[B]Opera[/B] - I mainly use Opera mini on my phone as it runs a lot faster than Nokia’s browser, but rarely use it on the PC as I’ve often run into compatibility issues, especially with CMS editors.
[B]Aurora[/B] - Currently trying this out.

I uninstalled Safari. I originally tried it out to see what it’s like, but found it sluggish loading certain websites and Apple’s software updater would randomly appear suggesting I install QuickTime and iTunes. :doh:

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2607527]Don’t know where your getting the right info but the M$ O/S still dominates the market and is used on PC around the world and it is used to write many if not most mobile devices programs and programs mobile devices and control servers around the world that let’s mobile devices communicate with each other. So it looks like your leaving out a big elephant in the room that without that nothing would work.[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure I follow all of this and perhaps a new thread would be a better place to debate but no question that Windows is the dominant world wide choice of operating systems. As for writing programs for mobile devices the choice of OS doesn’t have much to do with the programming language or hardware platform used, and Apache still dominates web server software. Actually if we leave the big elephant out of the room the web would function just fine.

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2011/06/07/june-2011-web-server-survey.html