Christmas with the Kranks

Has anyone been able to back up their copy of “Christmas with the Kranks”? I have tried it with CloneDVD 2.8.5.1 and AnyDVD 5.5.1.1 as well as with DVDShrink and DVDFab and have been unsuccessful. With AnyDVD I get: Summary for drive F: (AnyDVD 5.5.1.1)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (parallel)

Video DVD (or CD) label: CHRISTMAS_WITH_THE_KRANKS
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1 3!

Found & removed RCE protection!
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Found & removed Autorun from Video DVD!
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

But when I go to burn it I get a read error with Details of “File 1 F:/VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_0.IFO 87”

With DVDFab I get a 4096 error. Any ideas?

I backed up Christmas With The Kranks without any problems, I used AnyDVD 5.5.1.1 and CloneDVD 2.8.5.1.

DVDFab 4096 is an Open File error.

Any ideas as to what I may be doing wrong here? I have just about tried everything that I can think of.

It sounds like a conflict with some other program (anti virus scanner, background tool like DVD Region Free or DVD43, packet writing software, …???)

No problems here with Any/CloneDVD.

I assume you are getting this read error when trying to retrieve the file off the original dvd.
Might this simply be a defective disc - and the file really isn’t readable?

I thought that it may be my disk as well. I grabbed my sisters that she just picked up and tried it and got the same error. I have tried this on two different computers. One running XP and one running 2003 server. Both failed. The thing that they both have in common is they have AnyDVD and CloneDVD as well as Nero and DVDShrink. This error comes up in CloneDVD2 after Browsing and selecting the Kranks directory, it does not matter if I select the top or go down to the Video_TS directory.

I agree with Rich86 about the possibility of a defective disk.

Did you follow Tru’s advise by disabling Anti Virus software and uninstalling any packet writing software.?

Why don’t you try enabling AnyDVD, then copy the Video_TS folder to a tempoary directory using Windows Explorer. If it transfers without errors crank up CloneDVD and try to rip from that temp directory.

Got it! Thanks itxbinnice. I was able to copy it to a temp directory and then burn the CD from that. The problem that I had was that my computer has a DVD drive and a DVD burner in it. When I copied the original cd with the regular CD drive it did not copy all of the files. I did not get any errors. I tried copying the files again that did not copy and this time I got an error. I move the CD to my burner and tried copying them and they copied just fine. I was then able to burn it. Not sure why it was failing on my sisters computer and mine with two different CD’s but it did work. Thanks again!

jazbj,
Normally a DVD Reader only has far better capabilities in reading a dsk then a burner, by having the reader rip the files was the right thing to do. Only in this case it seems it was the exception to the rule, where your burner was able to read it better.
If it happens again you know what to do, just try having the burner rip and burn it.

I just burned it with shrink. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

dvd shrink then roxio 7.5, did credits and everything :slight_smile:

Hi Folks, just done a search on Christmas with the kranks as I have a problem.

backing up my disk using DVD Decryper with dvd shrink came up with this problem:

Decrypter backs it to a said folder of my description ok but when I go to shrink the movie for the 1st 80% of shrink its showing no picture then for the remaining 20% it fires into life.

Tried burning with nero to see what happens and only burns the last 20% to disk, does anybody have any ideas.

Many thanks

Hookstar :bow:

Try just using shrink. I think alot of us have been able to use it just fine.

Tried just using Shrink, same thing happens.

I wonder if I’m doing something wrong :sad:

Hookstar, u don’t need DVD Shrink because Christmas with the Kranks has FULL/WIDE screen format selection :slight_smile: Just take out either one of them and burn it.