Christmas presents.. but not for me

Again new firmwares for 411 and 811, but (again) nothing for the 401…

If it’s too much trouble maintaining firmware releases for the older drive, LiteON should provide a legal way to upgrade path 411. We know it’s the same hardware !

Otherwise i’ll really start considering making myself a christmas gift, in ways not to be mentioned…

ES0J for LDW-401S was released less than 3 weeks ago and you are already whining?

When did LDW-411S and LDW-811S get a firmware upgrade last time? yes over 5 weeks ago!

Do you have any problems? If no - why should they release a new firmware if everything is working as it should?

Sorry if I sound yelling - but I honestly do not see your reason for whining…

Originally posted by geerten
If it’s too much trouble maintaining firmware releases for the older drive, LiteON should provide a legal way to upgrade path 411. We know it’s the same hardware !

It seems to me that what you’re really complaining about is that you got exactly what you paid for (i.e. the 401 which is a + only writer) rather than what you apparently now want (i.e. the 411). :rolleyes:

ES0J is out only three weeks, and it was a great release. It solved the only major problem I had with this drive. I certainly do not want to whine.

But note that the reason ES0J is only three weeks old is that it came later than the corresponding upgrades for 411 and 811. There seems to be a pattern emerging: a pattern of lagging support for the 401. Every new release that adds support for +media for 411 is proof that improvement for 401 is possible as well. In fact you would expect a corresponding release for 401 could be created as a close to zero effort by-product. So why isn’t that released at the same time ?

In short, what worries me is that the 401 seems te get out of focus, supportwise.

And I’m certainly not whining about having a + only drive. I got what i paid for (even if it’s more than many of you paid for a 411 or even an 811…). The only reason I would consider doing the unspeakable thing to my drive is to get back into the mainstream of new firmwares.

Also note that I mentioned a legal upgrade provided by LiteOn. I would certainly prefer that, and I already mentioned in an earlier post that I would even pay for it. For LiteOn this might be a good business proposition because they could then limit support to a single model.

So:

• I have no reason for whining, I didn’t intend to, and I apologize that I did.
  • I would appreciate some reassurance that support for the 401 will continue. (The appearance of new firmwares is the obvious way to show it…)
  • If someone at LiteOn reads this they might pick up the suggestion to provide a legal upgrade.
  • I promise I will never again suggest doing it the other way.