Chose my next drive for me!

vbimport

I’ll be building a new computer soon and I was wondering what DVD burner to get for it. It’s probably going to be a HTPC, so it has to have good playback quality and ripping speed, as well as being region-free.

I currently own an NEC ND3500a and 1100@1300, I don’t want a 3520, what’s happening with the 3540 - it’s not out yet right? Ooh, I just heard the 4550 will supercede the 3540 with DVD-RAM support?

How about other brands - I wouldn’t mind going back to Pioneer, as I was pretty please with my old DVR-105, but I heard that the 109 was awful compared to the 108, what’s their up-coming model?

What about Plextor? Last I heard they were making some good upgrades in the firmware for the PX716a (16x DVD-DL?) but a friend who just spent a lot on one of their CD-RW’s said it’s useless at ripping CD’s.

How about Benq, are they any good, not interested in Sony crap.

I guess I’m most interested in DVD+R so I only need to buy one kind of disk for all my drives.

Is it worth waiting for BluRay or HD - that’s gotta be a long way off right?

Sorry for all the questions, but been away from the forums for a while…

Out of whats listed i would go with the NEC 3540 (dvd-ram support)
reasons well i already have a NEC and i am very happy with it
forget sony\liteon for now anyway as for pioneer i know a few people who say the new one is not as good as the older ones…
benq i have never tried so i cant comment although going by users on this site it is a great drive…

BenQ are the best for writing to DVD+R media. Wait a little for some tests of 1640 that will come out this or next month.

Interesting - especially when you see all the “my BenQ 1620 doesn’t work” kind of threads, and the Phillips 1640P looks more like NEC 2510 generation, not new?

I’m not holding out much hope for the NEC 3540 as the 3520 was pretty poor (so was the 3500 before the hacked firmware, lets face it) and I can’t wait until the end of the year for the 4550, or a 3540->4550 firmware :wink:

Actually Quikee is referring to the Benq DW1640…not the Philips…

http://www.benq.com/wm/front/benqmain.asp?MenuHead=143&ShowType=program&FileURL=product.asp&dataid=13439&GenMenu=&RootId=undefined

Unless you need a drive like yesterday… I’d hold off for a few months and see what shows up.

BenQ drive is good performer but has spotty quality (made in China), not a lot of features, and tends to overheat.

I would go for one of these LG drives…both got Cdfreaks Editor’s choice award. :slight_smile:

Both are excellent performers, and they totally blow away every other drive in terms of the sheer number of features.

LG GSA-4163B Super Multi DVD-write
http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/172/9

LG GSA-5163D Triple format DVD-Write
http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/191/9

Don’t fancy the LGs, but the BenQ looks pretty nice (8x DVD+R DL)

Wait for the NEC 4550.

That will be some trick…adding 16X DVD-RAM capability with firmware.

I also am looking at getting a new drive for the new Dual Layer support.

My choice is narrowed down to the NEC-3540 and the Sony DRU-800.

Can anyone provide opinion or experiece as to why I should go with which one?

Thanks.

if you said +r, i would say go with the benq.

I think the Sony will be a Liteon; I would go with the NEC regardless. Keep in mind you are making a decision on a yet untested product. No one really knows. If you want a real answer, wait a few days after the release and after a firmware update and check back.

I am leaning towards the NEC as I have read many good things about it. I have an old Sony DRU500 that has done its job. I dont really have any complains about it.
Is there something bad about a ‘liteon’ drive?

Thanks.

Generally, they are picky about media and burn quality is not as good as NEC. This has sparked a huge number of firmware modifications and many efforts to get burns as good as NEC. Some of these efforts are remarkable, and for certain media they have come very close. Now that the price for any of these drives is around $60, for some, the efforts are too much trouble. I enjoyed the tinkering around with the Liteons and the messing with firmware was fun. When I got my NEC it became really dull for a while as everything I burned was near perfect with no firmware hacks at all. I still keep the Liteon for scanning, but burning is just better on other drives. Maybe with the next series they will get better.

To be fair, everything I burned with the Liteon was playable. The scans just showed me that others were better. If there was some major benefit to Liteon that outweighed the burn quality, I would have to reconsider. After all, playable IS playable.

Anything but plextor. :slight_smile:

do you try to be as annoying as you are?

Just to you cause I know you hate when I speak the truth. :eek: :bigsmile:

you’ve got to be about 8 years old.

So what does it make you for havening such a problem with what I say about Plexcrap?

hey sej7278,

What about Plextor? Last I heard they were making some good upgrades in the firmware for the PX716a (16x DVD-DL?) but a friend who just spent a lot on one of their CD-RW’s said it’s useless at ripping CD’s.
i personally think the PX716 is a nice drive. the newer firmwares are making good strides in media compatibility and speeds. we all wish there was 16X dual layer burning, but it’s just 6X (about 18mins for a full burn). the quality of the PX716’s DL burns is second to none (from what i’ve observed posted here at CDF and as long as you burn with a competent program i.e. DVD Decrypter). with regards to ripping CDs, i haven’t had any issues and it’s demonstrated good reading ability of highly scratched pressed and burned CDs. recently there have been members posting issues with CDs, but i haven’t experienced any, nor have many of the other PX716 owners (chalk it up to a bad batch of lasers which happens with any/all manufacturers once and a while).

I guess I’m most interested in DVD+R so I only need to buy one kind of disk for all my drives.
i’ve found both my PX716s prefer + media over - media.

Is it worth waiting for BluRay or HD - that’s gotta be a long way off right?
unless you have a High Def TV, neither of those formats will offer a mind blowing increase in quality or viewing experience. additionally, IMHO, i don’t think either format will become truly ubiquitous until '06 at the earliest…just not enough people are willing to dump existing hardware or purchase a new TV for it to become the next standard right now.

anywho…i think most all drives are good at what they do, just that they all have their strengths and weaknesses. good luck in your quest…hope you find what you’re looking for for your HTPC.