Choppy playback vs Media type

vbimport

I’m still really new at copying DVD’s and using CloneDVD, so I apologize ahead of time if I’m repeating a previous thread! I’m having trouble with some, but not all, of the DVD movies I’ve copied on playback in a regular DVD player. I’m getting a lot of pausing/choppy playback with some of them in a regular dvd player. I’ve read in a couple of places that it could by my media type, which is Memorex 8x +R DVDs. My burner will do either -R or +R; I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the differences are? Also, I thought Memorex was pretty reliable, but has anyone else had trouble with the playback of these dvd’s? :doh:

Thanks!
aparham

I don’t use CloneDVD itself, so I can’t help on that score - but I can tell you that Memorex isn’t the best media - the manufacturer of the discs can vary (not the brand), so some discs can be fine, some not.

It’s generally recommended to stay away from Memorex…first of all, do you have any other media that you can try?

Also, pop one of those Memorex discs into your PC, and run Nero CD-DVD Speed, then post the MID of the discs for us.

BTW, welcome to CDF :slight_smile:

Agree with Arachne… always listen to a cat! :iagree:

I would also suggest reducing the burn speed. While the media might not be the best, you may get ok results slowing things down. Try burning that 8x media at 4x and see if results are any different.

Also, if your drive supports bitsetting, set the default to DVD-ROM. I doubt that is an issue because the disc does play, but it can’t hurt.

I have not used Memorex media , but I have known several people personally who have had bad experiences with them so I don’t mess with them, I can also say that Fugi is by far the worst and most defective discs I have ever used and wouldn’t use them again if they were free. I prefer Sony DVD-R MIJ these have been 99.99 % flawless for me .

fuji BRANDED discs that are 8x +R made in JAPAN are Taiyo yudens and are very good.

fujifilm03 MEDIA CODED discs are some of the worst crap I’ve force fed to my poor poor computer…

you can’t just refer to discs by brands! brands say nothing about the discs, and in the case of fuji, certian fuji branded discs (YUDEN000T02) are very sought after, whereas the fuji coded discs i mentioend are widely regarded as junk.

incidentally, the fujifilm03 discs that i got were from a pack of ::drumroll:: MEMOREX branded discs.

it’s not memorex itself that makes the discs bad, it’s the unpredictability of what might or might not be inside that makes taking a chance on memorex BRAND not worth it…

Thanks reasonsnorules for the info My Fugi’s are made by “Prodisc” they are +R’s and the label states “[B]Made In Japan”[/B]

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:PRODISC-R03-003]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [Not Available]
Manufacturer Name : [Prodisc Technology Inc.]
Manufacturer ID : [PRODISC]
Media Type ID : [R03]
Product Revision : [003]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]

[ DVD Identifier V4.3.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

these were on sale at bestbuy 100 pack around $24.00 (day after thanksgiving sale)

and I can tell you I can get [I]maby[/I] one good burn out of ten at any speed that doesn’t chop or freeze Being these are Japanese made still how do I know without buying them and running DVD Identifier what I have ? I never understood why some big name company’s have these inferier pressings for sale using thier name only to ruin thier reputaions :rolleyes:

Absolutely :iagree:

LOL @ brokenbuga :bigsmile:

Ah, Prodisc…I’ve had pretty good results on my Litey (but then, that’ll burn almost anything), but they can vary wildly even from disc to disc in the same spindle! Try burning them at a lower speed, as suggested.

Never had any Prodiscs that were MIJ, though…all mine have been Made in China or Taiwan :confused:

And in future, try and buy quality media, like Taiyo Yuden etc…:slight_smile:

A little mistake with labeling the packages it’s the same with some Maxells also MIJ on the spindle but discs are Ritek crap and not real Maxells.

Thanks and I’ll stay away of the Maxells too.

Some originals play back choppy and pause!
Also be sure not to copy the whole movie but just the main title and no menus(Ist option in Clone2). Good luck!
I have yet to have a strictly media problem. It has always been my burn speed, ammount of compression, type of burner, quality of the original, burning program, system setup, sytem hardware, system software, etc!