Choppy DVD Playback

vbimport

Most of my dvd’s that I backed up onto my pc play extremely choppy (both with the video and sound). I’m playing them on Windows Media Player 10 with all of the updates. Is there anything I can do, or do I have to re-backup my dvd’s?

You could try Videolan or Media Player Classic. They both include excellent MPEG 2 decoders, that would eliminate one possibility. Do you have more than one DVD writer that you could try them on? Or a DVD-Rom? Bad drive, maybe? Tried your backups on a standalone player -> TV?

Start the process of elimination.

Good luck. :slight_smile:

Check the CPU load during playback. You shouldn’t see the load above 90%.

Have you tried playing the DVDs from your hard drive? If not, try and see if the playback is still choppy when played from the hard drive. If your playback from there is fine, then it may be a media issue.

Peace and Luv,

DJ Mind

yeah the DVD’s themselves still work fine, its playing them off the hard drive when I get problems. Kinda strange because if I make a copy of a DVD (putting it temporarily on the hard drive and then burning), it all works well, but putting just the files on the hard drive, it doesnt work well.

Do you have any other DVD Player Software?

nah not really. There is “Dell Media Experience” but that doesn’t let me watch the Video_ts files

any other ideas??

Not sure what’s going on…but here’s something wierd going on with mine: I’ve had no problem with playing my newly burned DVDs on my PS2 or other DVD players, but they won’t play on my DVD-Rom drive in my laptop, it doesn’t even recognize the disk. I’m using Memorex DVD+R media and DVD Shrink to make back ups, and I have a new Compaq Presario with an external NEC burner. Any ideas…?

You could try opening task manager and set the priority for your dvd playing software to above normal.

Other than that, I really don’t know. I would search for malicious software (viruses & spyware.) Run Registry Mechanic (or another good registry cleaner) & Defrag your Hard Drive(s) maybe that will help.

Not sure what’s going on…but here’s something wierd going on with mine: I’ve had no problem with playing my newly burned DVDs on my PS2 or other DVD players, but they won’t play on my DVD-Rom drive in my laptop, it doesn’t even recognize the disk. I’m using Memorex DVD+R media and DVD Shrink to make back ups, and I have a new Compaq Presario with an external NEC burner. Any ideas…?

Are you changing the booktype to DVD-Rom. If not thats your problem your burner probably can read dvd+r media

From my what i now Memorex media sucks i had the same problem got new fuji dvds and worked fine.