Choosing the right titles in multiple episode DVDs

Sorry if this has been answered in some previous thread, but I have tried to search and I can’t seem to find the right answer.

Do you guys know how I can choose the right titles for my episodes? For instance, I have Battlestar Galactica, S1 D2. In here, I know there’s 4 episodes. I want to convert them to my PSP so I can (re)watch them on the go.

When I open it up with DVD Fab I see 7 titles, each I about 45 mins long (that’s about right) with the exception of title 5 which is twice as long.

I am honestly at a loss here, I can’t figure out how to do this. I have tried with other DVDs, like my Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex series, and it’s ieasy to figure out… title numbers might be off but the higher the title number, the higher the sequence count for the episode in the DVD so it’s all good. I have never seen this happening.

Suggestions? If I need to RTFM (thread) would some kind soul point me in the right direction? :flower:

Thank you guys!

I think the kind souls may be eating supper, but I will try to help you in their absence.:slight_smile:
There are several ways you can get the information on which episode is which. Beginning with a fairly recent version of DVDFab, the titles should be listed in playback order if you have PathPlayer enabled. Highlight one at a time, in order, and use the Preview window to see if it is working out correctly. If the titles seem to be listed in playing time order (longest at the top, shortest at the bottom), it is not working and you can use the preview window to watch each one until the episode name appears. I have not tried an episodic disc in DVD to Mobile since this feature was added and I’m not sure if it works there as it does in Customize or Customize Split, but the preview window will (almost) never let you down.

To be safe, why dont you just rip the full dvd.

just watch the dvd before ripping and make note of the titles numbers for each of the 4 episodes - use the display/info button on your player.

i’ve seen a similar phenonemon with X files series, somethimes there are more titles that episodes & that’s because sometimes there are 2 versions of a tiltle - one with a deleted scene put back in & one without. check the times of each title + the times of the smaller ttles & do the math - you may find this is what’s happening.

the double length title will be for viewing a double length episode & will be a duplicate of 2 of the other titles - again you can confirm this by adding the times.

[quote=signals;2048416]I think the kind souls may be eating supper, but I will try to help you in their absence.:slight_smile:
There are several ways you can get the information on which episode is which. Beginning with a fairly recent version of DVDFab, the titles should be listed in playback order if you have PathPlayer enabled. Highlight one at a time, in order, and use the Preview window to see if it is working out correctly. If the titles seem to be listed in playing time order (longest at the top, shortest at the bottom), it is not working and you can use the preview window to watch each one until the episode name appears. I have not tried an episodic disc in DVD to Mobile since this feature was added and I’m not sure if it works there as it does in Customize or Customize Split, but the preview window will (almost) never let you down.[/quote]For some reason the forum is sometimes scrambling my earlier post. It should read:
…[B]the titles should be listed in playback order if you have PathPlayer enabled[/B]…

i know what you mean, even tho there is only 4 episodes ive had a dvd with 12 45 min titles, i didnt know what to do either, some only appeared to take up a few mb, thats how i decided, was bizarre

[QUOTE=emgonzalez;2048395]
When I open it up with DVD Fab I see 7 titles, each I about 45 mins long (that’s about right) with the exception of title 5 which is twice as long.
[/QUOTE]
I going to make a guess at this since I haven’t experienced this .
4 episodes 6/45 minute titles 1/90 minute title.
3 of the episodes have 2 titles each 45 minutes & 1 episode a 90 minute title.
You just have to figure out why they are longer than the episode.Probably just the extra information.
What are the title sizes in MB.If you know.Because I think some OS’s can only handle a .99GB file size if over that a second file is created.

First of all, thanks to all who responded.

I think cybmole’s explanation is the right one. Let me use an example from disc 3, as presented by dvdfab 4 with pathplayer activated when needed (this would be one of those times :):

There are 4 chapters on the disc. But you can see here 5 “episode length” possiblities, plus a much longer one. Two of them have exactly the same length.

So I’m guessing there’s more than one copy of each. The individual chapters would be titles 5, 4, 3 and 1… in that order (CONFUSING), titles 1 and 2 are the same and title 6 contains titles 5,4 and 3 (times almost exactly add up)

This makes sense, in the context of “nothing about this DVD’s structure makes sense so let’s try to figure it out”. Am I right?

The idea of watching the chapters one by one and taking note of the DVD player’s information is time consuming, but I am guessing is the only one “fool proof” way of being sure.

what about when i had 12 x45 minutes, not even possible on a disc!

that was one weird disc!

Just for the sake of completeness, I opened them up with VLC and took note of the title chapters. The correct ordering is titles 1, 3, 4, and 5… so the pathplayer assumption does not work for me.

[QUOTE=al4x;2048918]what about when i had 12 x45 minutes, not even possible on a disc!

that was one weird disc![/QUOTE]

I really think the indexing references to the same VOBs… it just creates different chapters to address some obscure need… or to make copying more difficult :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=emgonzalez;2048922]I really think the indexing references to the same VOBs… it just creates different chapters to address some obscure need… or to make copying more difficult :)[/QUOTE]
yes, that’s usually the case. maybe the alternative titles are used when you select directors commentary, or some foreign language .

nb you can force them to play in some software players e.g. powerdvd by right click + select title/chapter from menus, if you are really curious, or as was suggested earlier you can just rip every title then delete the ones that come out as duplicates. that takes a little longer but it ensures that you ahve not missed anything!