Choosing the Correct Layer Break Position in ImgBurn

vbimport

Thanks for your reply Mr. Wombler. I always left the box checked to remove the break when using DVD5 media because the layer break is moot. I am not picky and accept quality of 70% and better on most of the back-up copys I make. Another option for those of us that are not PC savee is to use Fab’s VSO burner and let it decide where the break on a DVD9 will fall. Is that burner pretty good about placing it midway? I realize the break may come at a bad time (during an action scene or when a confession is made).

VSO is okay most of the time but is known to cause problems in certain circumstances.

ImgBurn is far better and is the option officially recommended by the producers of DVDFab.

With regard to the topic of this thread though, ImgBurn also allows you to choose the best layer break position.

Unless you’re familiar with how this works the choices can be a bit confusing which I suppose is basically the reason I wrote this guide. :wink:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Yes, You are right, Thanks!

Wombler , Sir; I have been going round and round with this layer break thing in another forum. I first read thru and followed another guide to creating layer break points, then was referred to your guide.
Either way, I am at a complete loss as to how? and when? this “Create Layer Break…” dialogue box – appears? / becomes an option? – whatever!! Whether starting with an ISO file, or a DVD vob fileset , I NEVER SEE, NOR CAN CAUSE THIS user defined option for Layer Breaks to become available to me. Such a simple request , and likely a very simple answer. Those that have done this, and have used ImageBurn enough that it’s “old hat” , maybe forget the learning curve period.
PLEASE !! In the other guide, and yours above… there is a missing link. A step, a click, tab, menu choice, some action that brings this 'CREATE LAYER BREAK POSITION" dialogue box out of seclusion. I have burned DVDs using ImageBurn, and a handful of other burning apps. I know that if I copy the 8G+ .vob filesets to my portable drive, and dump them onto my laptop - I would be able to burn the DL disc with an app. there, and never be bothered with this. But I’d like to know how to do what seems like most others
are having success with. If I could simply have the same options available to me.
I’ve gone thur ALL the tabs, menu lists, settings tabs and pages, etc .etc. I’ve loaded an ISO, and got stopped by the Warning message re: layer break point. Same goes for loading .vob files to burn , if above the capacity of the single layer disc. What I dont get – is the OPTION , the “Create Layer Break Position” dialogue. Yes, I’m saying the same thing over and over, just slightly altering the phrases. This is because I cant seem to make the point… (same point , same question. I’ll stop recycling words)
What doesn’t help my cause ; to say “at this point” this will happen. [U][I]It doesn’t.[/I][/U] OR, to say “during the burn process” , this box will open / pop-up /…?? [I]It wont,[/I] not for me. If the burn process has started, it’s too late - another bum disc burned. I’m using the latest version of ImageBurn.
What keystroke / what menu clicked or selected / what “user” action causes this Layer Break selection dialogue to make itself known??? (still trying, new phrasing )

Hi bean

I have removed your post since you state “Our good friend [B]Kerry left you a path to the Guide for the End Of The World Message.[/B]”

Since it is already in his own thread there is no need for it to be here too. :wink:

[B]SJ[/B]
"

Okay SJ Understood :iagree: :smiley:

[QUOTE=bean55;2552726]Okay SJ Understood :iagree: :D[/QUOTE]

I knew you would my friend :wink:

[B]SJ[/B]

Hey, who’s hijacking my dialogue here!? (kidding. glad to see someone else besides me being slapped. also kidding there)
OK…UPDATE. I transferred the DVD/.vob files to my laptop. Opened the DVD files in ImageBurn. Placed a clean DL disc in the tray. Guess what made an appearance. Finally, I am able to set eyes on this “Create Layer Break Position’ dialogue/tool. !!!
Question now; Why did this not occur on my XP Home PC ???
Well, I took a screenshot of my options there, all of them only “average” btw.
Sorry, but when I closed the screenshot, somehow the CLBrk (please allow abbreviation)
closed with the choice I was viewing, and the burn process began! I’m on my XP PC now and dont have that image. I wondered why I had no blue or red stars, and what this “padding” was about. The option that was selected (in error) had the low number of
"2” for padding, whereas the topmost choice showed , I think well over 100,000 in the padding column. Is higher better? Anyway, I’ll let you know how the disc turns out.
But I need to see this work on my XP machine now.

Question now; Why did this not occur on my XP Home PC ???

Probably a setting somewhere.

Are these the exact files same files you was working with on the other machine?

I’m on my XP PC now and dont have that image. I wondered why I had no blue or red stars, and what this “padding” was about. The option that was selected (in error) had the low number of
"2" for padding, whereas the topmost choice showed , I think well over 100,000 in the padding column. Is higher better? Anyway, I’ll let you know how the disc turns out.

If you read above on how to preview you will get a better understanding.

[B]@[/B] mrlewp

You have an on going help session here-> http://club.myce.com/f153/image-burn-set-layer-break-316853/#post2552433

carrying it on in this thread is called cross posting/double posting and it is very confusing to members and also against forum rules, any further posting related to your thread will be removed from this thread.

[B]SJ[/B] :cop:

Sorry. I meant only to ask a direct question to Womble about his guide, and I did note the other forum discussion. I realize it snow-balled into replies and responses.
As I do when I’m texting from my cell a lot… “NoNeed2Reply”, would apply.

[QUOTE=mrlewp;2552753] I wondered why I had no blue or red stars, and what this “padding” was about. The option that was selected (in error) had the low number of
"2" for padding, whereas the topmost choice showed , I think well over 100,000 in the padding column. Is higher better? Anyway, I’ll let you know how the disc turns out.
But I need to see this work on my XP machine now.[/QUOTE]

That’s a fairly technical thing which was why I’d left it out.

Basically the layer break can only take place at a cell boundary.

The padding value reflects the number of null sectors that have to be added to the disc to ensure that the layer transition takes place at the next cell boundary.

Lower padding seems to be generally regarded as best but there’s no hard and fast rule here as this is frequently outweighed by other factors (actual video content being the main one).

So you’re better following the guide and choosing the one that works best for your particular disc.

HTH.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Very good example guide. Thanks

Welcome to the forums ulf.wiman. :flower:

Glad you found the guide useful and if you’ve any queries regarding it please feel free to ask.

[B]Wombler[/B]

While attempting to backup one DVD folder structure of size 7.79 GB to a Verbatim Dual Layer DVD-DL, I get the following error message:

What should I do? Is it impossible to backup this movie?

[QUOTE=harishkumar09;2664515]What should I do? Is it impossible to backup this movie?[/QUOTE]

No it’s not impossible, but unfortunately it’s a bit more involved.

This is quite a rare situation when the disc is so absolutely full that ImgBurn can’t find any suitable location at all for the layer break.

Layer breaks have to be placed between cells and this error occurs when there isn’t be a suitable cell boundary near the middle of the data.

So essentially the solution is to create one by splitting an existing cell in the correct location.

You can do this with the freeware program VobBlanker but it’s quite involved.

Have a look at this guide from the ImgBurn website and see how you get on.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2529975]Hey thanks for that! :flower:

No I don’t mind at all, in fact the only reason I produced this guide was to help as many people as possible so I don’t really mind how many times it’s linked to and from where.

I’d added it into your knowledge base thread and didn’t worry about making it a sticky but I’m happy that you’ve chosen to do that. :slight_smile:

And thanks for the compliments BTW, I appreciate that coming from you. :flower:

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Ok, I’m so green you can’t see me on the grass… My question is: What is a Sticky? I’m assuming its some way of adding the post into my account? If it is, can you tell me how to do this? (use the sticky) I do use ImgBurn but I haven’t come to a dual layer burn yet. I’ve had DVD Flick come up with an error with something or another about an invalid layer break. Had no clue.

Anyway, please explain to me what sticky means here and its purpose? Thanks, Mark

@Sparkymarktoo

A “sticky” is a thread that is deliberately placed at the top of a particular forum because it contains valuable information. It cannot be displaced by newer threads, and will stay as one of the first visible threads until the moderators choose to remove it. This particular subforum for ImgBurn has four stickied threads at the moment.

Regular members of the forums cannot “sticky” or “unsticky” a discussion thread. This can only be done by moderators or administrators of the site.

And it has nothing to do with the topic being discussed here, so our little side discussion should probably be removed from the stickied thread.

I’ve got the problem described by harishkumar09 back on 18-11-2012. I have worked through the VobBlanker solution decribed by Wombler on the same date but the result was not good.

The problem is not rare for me as I’m trying to put 4 episodes of TV shows on Verbatim DVD+R DL discs. Each episode is 40 to 50 minutes long but total is never more than about 210 minutes. Obviously I want to get 2 episodes on each layer with the layer break preferably at the start of the 3rd episode (or at least in one of the chapter breaks of either 2nd or 3rd episode).

After some initial conversion/standardisation, each of the episodes starts off as an .MPG file between 1.2 and 1.7 Gb is size. Video is 720*576 (or 480 if NTSC) at a relatively low bitrate of about 3800 kbps. Audio is 48Kz at about 224kbps. When these are processed through AVStoDVD, the video bitrate is automatically increased up to near anything from 5600 to 7000 kbps. This gives a nice output but increases the file size so that the end result, along with the fairly simple menus, fills the DL disc and ImgBurn can’t find any layer break point.

Working through the VobBlanker solution produces a layer break point (near end of episode 2) but when burnt using this layer break point, the disc is useless because playback stops at the layer break point and flicks back to the menu.
It seems the solution is to reduce the bitrate of the AVStoDVD output files but there seem to be all sorts of warnings against doing this within the AVStoDVD application itself and the guides.

The other alternative is to simply burn the original .MPG files onto the disc and play them back (my DVD player will do this and the lower bitrate still produces an acceptable SD result without audio sync problems) as data files but this means navigating using a directory structure as no menus are possible.

Any suggestions on dealing with this situation would be really appreciated.

Problem solved. Bit of experimenting with different bitrates gave the outcome I was looking for. Recoded the .mpg files in AVStoDVD with the “auto” flags in the video options turned off and that allowed me to set the average video bitrate myself. This gave a result where ImgBurn could find suitable break points exactly where I wanted them. End quality of DVD playback was acceptable.