Choosing the Correct Layer Break Position in ImgBurn

vbimport

[QUOTE=Wombler;2530441]That’s basically what I was trying to achieve so thanks for confirming that. :flower:

Even cavemen get the deluxe treatment here at MyCE. :bigsmile::bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

That’s right! :bigsmile:

Nice signature btw Wombler!

Oh and be sure to take a close look at this week’s newsletter…:wink:

Wombler, This is a great resource and we all I think applaud you. If this were in PDF form, it would make a great save and we could print it out. Is there a chance you might publish this in PDF?
Thank You in advance.

I went to some minor lengths to put this in PDF form for download, I hope you don’t mind Wombler.

[QUOTE=jimspencr7;2530517]I went to some minor lengths to put this in PDF form for download, I hope you don’t mind Wombler.[/QUOTE]

No problem but I’d prefer people to use this official version as I’ll want to update it whenever necessary.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Choosing the Correct Layer Break Position in ImgBurn.pdf (382 KB)

[QUOTE=BussyB;2530458]That’s right! :bigsmile:

Nice signature btw Wombler!

Oh and be sure to take a close look at this week’s newsletter…;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks BussyB! :flower:

Now you have me worried, lol. :bigsmile::bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2530441]That’s basically what I was trying to achieve so thanks for confirming that. :flower:

Even cavemen get the deluxe treatment here at MyCE. :bigsmile::bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]What am I missing? I also do many D/L copies and with DVDFab 6, I just select DVD9 and the burning is automatic. I don’t even have ImgBurn, although I did at one time.

[QUOTE=dcampbe;2531312]What am I missing? I also do many D/L copies and with DVDFab 6, I just select DVD9 and the burning is automatic. I don’t even have ImgBurn, although I did at one time.[/QUOTE]

If you are using the default burn engine(VSO software…e.g…pcouffin) then selecting a layer break manually is not required, this guide is used when you have DVDFab set to use ImgBurn which requires you to manually select a layer break from multiple choices :smiley:

So you are not missing anything, it is just a personal choice whether you use ImgBurn or not :wink:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2531317]If you are using the default burn engine(VSO software…e.g…pcouffin) then selecting a layer break manually is not required, this guide is used when you have DVDFab set to use ImgBurn which requires you to manually select a layer break from multiple choices :smiley:

So you are not missing anything, it is just a personal choice whether you use ImgBurn or not ;)[/QUOTE]Thank you. I looked and I am using VSO for burning, it seems to work OK.

[QUOTE=dcampbe;2531322]Thank you. I looked and I am using VSO for burning, it seems to work OK.[/QUOTE]

Yeah there is nothing wrong with the VSO burn engine however ImgBurn is more versatile and you can set it up to burn multiple MID(media ID at different burn speeds according to how your drive/burner reacts to the various brands of media, but like I said it is a matter of ones personal choice :smiley:

Have a nice day :flower:

[QUOTE=dcampbe;2531322]Thank you. I looked and I am using VSO for burning, it seems to work OK.[/QUOTE]

VSO works fine in the majority of cases but there are known problems with the VSO engine that can in certain circumstances create difficulties, which is the main reason why DVDFab’s author recommends using ImgBurn.

Also being able to select the layer break position is an advantage since it allows you to choose the position that will give the smoothest layer change, resulting in a less noticable pause during playback.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Wanted to thank you again, Wombler. :clap: I’ve done three dl burns using this guide, and they all went flawlessly. LOVE the ability to preview the layer change. On two of the three burns, my first layer break choice (the one I would have previously used if I didn’t have the advantage of this guide) was not the one I ended up going with - the guide showed me the way! I am now a layer break Jedi, and you, my friend, are my Obi-Wan Kenobi :bow:!!

[QUOTE=rosariorose9;2531517] I am now a layer break Jedi, and you, my friend, are my Obi-Wan Kenobi :bow:!![/QUOTE]
:iagree::iagree::iagree::clap::clap::clap:Agreed 100%- [B]Wombler is the MAN!!![/B]

[QUOTE=rosariorose9;2531517]Wanted to thank you again, Wombler. :clap: I’ve done three dl burns using this guide, and they all went flawlessly. LOVE the ability to preview the layer change. On two of the three burns, my first layer break choice (the one I would have previously used if I didn’t have the advantage of this guide) was not the one I ended up going with - the guide showed me the way! I am now a layer break Jedi, and you, my friend, are my Obi-Wan Kenobi :bow:!![/QUOTE]

That’s exactly the sort of thing I was trying to achieve so thanks for that feedback.

TBH I’d worried that the guide was too basic as there’s a stack of technical stuff that I could have included.

Now I’m glad I went down the route I did as it has been well received and opens up this sort of thing to [U]all[/U] users.

LUK! has done all the hard work and is the one who should be praised, I’m merely explaining the options he created.

Thanks for the compliments though. :flower:

[B]Wombler[/B]

I got a “power Calibration error” ??

[QUOTE=lorle;2547451]I got a “power Calibration error” ??[/QUOTE]

There are numerous potential reasons for this error but the two most common ones are poor quality media and/or burning at too high a speed.

Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim discs are the most reliable media and always burn your discs at half the rated speed.

If you’re not using the most recent version of ImgBurn then try updating that and if all else fails try upgrading the firmware on your drive.

Normally using better quality media and burning at lower speeds solves this problem but it is also possible that your drive may be on the way out.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I’ve been using Memorex for years with no problems. Now non of my Memorex dual layer dvd blanks seem to work with DVDFAB. Maybe it’s the drive.
I’ll go to Best Buy tomorrow and grab some Verbatim’s to see if that fixes the problem.

Memorex DL media is unpredictable.

You can get good batches, bad batches and everything else in between.

You’ll not go wrong with Verbatim though.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I just ordered 20 Verbatim DVD-DL from Amazon. It’s worth a try.
I made a lot of coasters from the Memorex DVD-DL’s. They worked in the past for me, but maybe like you say, the whole batch was bad.

Hi Wombler,
Why is there not a setting option that will place the layer break at the same point that is on the original DVD? That would make it much simpler.

[QUOTE=dan633;2547991]Hi Wombler,
Why is there not a setting option that will place the layer break at the same point that is on the original DVD? That would make it much simpler.[/QUOTE]

Good question. :iagree:

The disc is altered as part of the copy process (even if it’s only the removal of dummy sectors and other copy protection techniques, or as a result of the deliberate removal of audio streams or other unwanted content) and the original layer break position isn’t necessarily optimal anymore.

Most users therefore want the option to check this (as described in the guide) rather than finding out after they’ve burnt the disc.

DVDFab removes the layer break by default but you can override this if you wish by going to Settings>DVD/Blu-ray>Protection>DVD and changing it there. Read on though before you make a decision on this.

ImgBurn does already check for an existing layer break position and if there isn’t one present it will make its recommendation on the basis of the file system/IFOs.

Even if you select a position that ImgBurn has marked as ‘excellent’ though there’s no guarantee that it will in reality produce an acceptable transition. The odds are more in your favour that way, but there’s no guarantee that it’s the best one.

This is because ImgBurn doesn’t analyse the actual video content in any way and it therefore requires human intervention to determine if the transition will actually work satisfactorily in practice.

So in my opinion you’re therefore better removing the layer break and choosing the best one yourself.

[B]Wombler[/B]