Choosing the Correct Layer Break Position in ImgBurn

vbimport

Introduction

Following some queries on the DVDFab sub-forum regarding layer break positions I thought I’d do out a short guide for the benefit of all the DVDFab users since ImgBurn is the officially recommended burn engine for DVDFab.

I’ve attempted to keep things as non-technical as I can, since I recognise that not all DVDFab users are expert ImgBurn users, and I want this guide to be useful to all users regardless of skill level.

There are other more technical aspects relating to choosing of layer breaks and I may add some stuff in for the hardcore ImgBurn users later but for now that’s outside the scope of this guide so I’m keeping things as simple as possible.

Background Info

As most of you are already aware the layer break is the point on a DL DVD where the laser has to switch between layers.

While the laser re-focuses a slight pause in playback occurs which can be quite noticeable depending on where the pause occurs.

Contrary to popular beliefs the layer break can’t be positioned just anywhere and only be located in a limited number of positions towards the middle of the data since the data has to be spread across both layers.

The more data you have the less choice you have in relation to layer break positions until eventually (if you have a completely full disc) there’s only one place the layer break can be (very close to the middle of the data).

ImgBurn automatically identifies potential layer break locations and unless it’s a very full disc there are usually several to choose from, any one of which can be used.

So the obvious question is “how do I find the best one?” and that’s what this short guide seeks to explain.

I’m assuming that users are already familiar with the rest of the burning process in ImgBurn so I’m only detailing the specifics relating to selection of the layer break.

Once you reach the appropriate stage in the burn process the following screen appears which basically is a list of all the potential layer break locations that ImgBurn has identified.

I’ll explain the numbered areas later in the guide.

So which one do you choose?

Here’s a direct quote from ImgBurn’s author.

“The coloured stars will give you an idea of the best place (technically speaking) for the layer break position, but just remember, you’re the only one that knows what’s going to work best for your movie.”

There is no automatic way of choosing the perfect layer break position and all of the options are technically valid so the user has to select where they personally think is best based on the content of the cells.

When you select a layer break position you are better going for one that doesn’t have fast action on either side as this will accentuate the pause.

Regardless of where you chose though, the layer break is always located at the division between two successive cells and the cell number selected is the one that will play immediately after the layer break.

In the example given I’ve selected cell 17 (1) so if I eventually decide to burn the disc with that selection the layer break will occur between cells 16 and 17.

The disc I’ve chosen for this guide is a particularly good example since as you can see, none of the potential locations for the layer break on this disc are rated above ‘average’ and there’s apparently very little to choose between them.

So in order to be sure we make the correct choice we need to preview each of the potential layer change locations until we find one that works or potentially (as a compromise) the one we’re most happy with.

How to Preview the Layer Change

To determine which position you want to test, highlight one of the choices (1).

Click the ‘Preview Selected Cell’ button (2) and the preview window appears.

ImgBurn%20-%20Cell%20Preview2

Playback of the cell immediately after the layer break will begin automatically when the preview window launches which is not what we want so hit the ‘Stop’ button (3).

Then use either the slider (5) or the arrowed buttons (4) to move the playback position until the cell number displayed (just above (5)) changes to the previous one (in this case cell 16).

Hit the ‘Play’ button (3) and watch the transition, complete with simulated pause.

Close the preview window (6).

If you’re unhappy try another position.

Once you’ve located and chosen the position you’re most happy with then continue the normal burn process.

Now you know how to make your own decision based on the cell contents and this is the officially recommended way of doing it.

Happy DL burning folks! :flower:

PDF version of this guide

Wombler

Layerbreak at DVD+R DL?

This is GREAT - absolutely invaluable, but I don’t see the example (to which the various numbers are referenced). Is that in a different post than this one? Perhaps my browser is blocking something??

Edit: I’m using Firefox, so I tried IE to see if it made a difference. It did - small boxes with an ‘x’ are present, but still no image. Tried clicking on the boxes, but that didn’t change anything. Never had a problem with Firefox (or IE) on this site before…

It’s working fine here but I’ll re-upload them now.

Glad you like the guide but it would be better of course if you could see what I’m describing. :bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

@ Wombler , Now they look like this :

that is an image it just looks like text.

Sorry guys I know what’s wrong now.

The graphics were originally posted in a staff only forum for comments so they’re now secured. :o

I can’t delete them from there myself and the system won’t let me re-upload them so bear with me and I’ll see how quickly I can get someone to do this.

Sorry for the inconvenience. :rolleyes:

[B]Wombler[/B]

The images in the first post should now appear to all. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Seán;2529792]The images in the first post should now appear to all. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the very quick response Seán, you’re a star. :flower:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Working fine for me too.

The images are appearing perfectly now. :iagree: Wombler, this is a TERRIFIC guide. Thanks a million for taking the time to produce it. :bow: Plan on using it to make a backup tonight. I assume that this is (or will become) a ‘sticky.’ If not, you might consider putting a link in your signature.

[QUOTE=rosariorose9;2529828]The images are appearing perfectly now. :iagree: Wombler, this is a TERRIFIC guide. Thanks a million for taking the time to produce it. :bow: Plan on using it to make a backup tonight. I assume that this is (or will become) a ‘sticky.’ If not, you might consider putting a link in your signature.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback and I hope everyone finds it useful. :cool:

I added it into the ‘DVDFab Knowledge-Base’ sticky yesterday but I have also been thinking about creating a signature for a while now.

Just never seem to get the time ATM as every time I log in here there’s always something more important to be dealt with first. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’ve tried to make this guide as simple as possible so let me know how you get on and if it’s easy enough to follow.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Hey Wombler great guide :clap: :clap: hope you don’t mind cause I edited my guide to point to yours :wink:

Oh and not sure why you did not but I made this a sticky

Excellent guide, Wombler!!!

Used your suggestions with very good success.

Thank you!

Jim

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2529873]Hey Wombler great guide :clap: :clap: hope you don’t mind cause I edited my guide to point to yours :wink:

Oh and not sure why you did not but I made this a sticky[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks for that! :flower:

No I don’t mind at all, in fact the only reason I produced this guide was to help as many people as possible so I don’t really mind how many times it’s linked to and from where.

I’d added it into your knowledge base thread and didn’t worry about making it a sticky but I’m happy that you’ve chosen to do that. :slight_smile:

And thanks for the compliments BTW, I appreciate that coming from you. :flower:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=jsoulesone;2529886]Excellent guide, Wombler!!!

Used your suggestions with very good success.

Thank you!

Jim[/QUOTE]

Glad you found it useful Jim. :smiley:

I only spent about 2 hours in total putting all this together including editing the graphics etc. but it looks like it’s been worth it already. :cool:

Hopefully others will find it equally useful.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2529975]Hey thanks for that! :flower:

No I don’t mind at all, in fact the only reason I produced this guide was to help as many people as possible so I don’t really mind how many times it’s linked to and from where.

I’d added it into your knowledge base thread and didn’t worry about making it a sticky but I’m happy that you’ve chosen to do that. :slight_smile:

And thanks for the compliments BTW, I appreciate that coming from you. :flower:

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

I was going to add it to the knowledge base sticky but not everyone reads it, but the main reason was because of the catchy title it stands out and more members will see and read it as a sticky :wink:

thank you Wombler nice job:clap:

Thanks Wombler :clap:

Very useful guide :iagree:

Thanks guys and I’m glad to see this guide has been so well received. :flower:

[B]Wombler[/B]

You da’ man Wombler! Your guide was a great help to me as I do a lot of DL copies. It’s so easy even a caveman can do it! Thank you. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Senor Bag;2530374]You da’ man Wombler! Your guide was a great help to me as I do a lot of DL copies. It’s so easy even a caveman can do it! Thank you. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

That’s basically what I was trying to achieve so thanks for confirming that. :flower:

Even cavemen get the deluxe treatment here at MyCE. :bigsmile::bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]