Choosing applications

I have been out of the loop with copy protections and burning software for some time, and I am trying to get up to date with everything that is out now. I have ben reading a lot of posts about how to copy the different protection schemes with different programs, but I still am unsure of what to go with. I have an ASUS 4012A burner I plan to read and write with. So please correct me if I am wrong here and give me your thoughts:

Safedisc:

Alcohol or Blindwrite will both do a fine job with any version of Safedisc. I have read a little about Safedisc 3.x but I don’t know anything about it. Which app is the most “future proof” for Safedisc 3.x?

SecuROM:

For the latest SecuROM versions, you can rip an image with either Alcohol, CloneCD, or Blindwrite, then make a BWA file with Blindwrite (or download one) that you use when you write your image with Blindwrite. If you do this, some drives will not play the copy if Blindwrite is not installed, but you can also use the Autoinstall app to get the copy to play.

Is Twinpeaks required anymore, or does BW now have a patching feature included? I have read some tutorials that do not mention using Twinpeaks when making a new SecuROM copy with BW.

I ask these things because I want to purchase one of these apps, but I need to know which is the smartest purchase. It seems that you need BW’s BWA builder regardless, but I don’t necessarily have to use the full BW suite for that.

Please share your thoughts on this, and pardon my ignorance. I am still trying to get up to date with everything and there is a lot of info out there. Thanks.

you can also use blindwrite with a bwa file to copy securom protected discs.
I would advise you to use Alcohol because in my opinion it’s the most advanced program. When you handle it you have a nice feeling that “everything’s advanced and ready”. Hope you get what I mean.
I would install Blindwrite trial and keep the BWABuilder to build bwa with it. Then use twinpeak + alcohol created ccd image + bwa to patch the image and burn it with clonecd again.
I had problems with CloneCD with Securom AND safedisc protected cds (safedisc one needed hide ATIP all the time, even in reader, securom one didn’t want to start, same images burned with alcohol worked perfectly).
so my opinion: buy alcohol!

Originally posted by soopersonic
you can also use blindwrite with a bwa file to copy securom protected discs.
I would advise you to use Alcohol because in my opinion it’s the most advanced program. When you handle it you have a nice feeling that “everything’s advanced and ready”. Hope you get what I mean.
I would install Blindwrite trial and keep the BWABuilder to build bwa with it. Then use twinpeak + alcohol created ccd image + bwa to patch the image and burn it with clonecd again.
I had problems with CloneCD with Securom AND safedisc protected cds (safedisc one needed hide ATIP all the time, even in reader, securom one didn’t want to start, same images burned with alcohol worked perfectly).
so my opinion: buy alcohol!

Thanks for the info, but I have one more question: I have been reading that making copies with Blindwrite 4.2.5 and a BWA file yields better quality copies than the CCD image + Twinpeaks method. Is this true? I will probably buy Alcohol because I can use it for a lot of other stuff, but for SecuROM copies, wouldn’t using straight Blindwrite be better?

Thanks