Choosing a new DVD Burner

vbimport

I dropped by a couple of months ago considering upgrading my burner and decided the one I had was good enough. Since then I’ve had a computer meltdown (MB failure) and upgraded my system to a new Gigabyte MB. New boards don’t support two IDE ports, so to deal with this I’m switching the burner to SATA. This means buying a new one.

When I was here before I was considering a Pioneer DVR-115/215 model, but folks here said if I could wait for a firmware revision I should go to the 116/216. Now as I nose around it seems like the bloom is off the rose for the 116/216 model. And, I see the model with the most votes in the opening poll is the Samsung SH-S203 series, but it’s not widely available.

I realize there’s a lot of brand allegiance, but are there technical reasons I should choose one of these three models over the other two?

I take it people were uncomfortable answering this? Also, the Samsung SH-S203s and DVR-215s are becoming hard to find from reputable dealers at a reasonable price.

If you can’t find a 215 or 203x, then have you considered an Optiarc 72xxS series drive?

From what I read here, they’re pretty highly regarded at the moment. Have a peek around our NEC/Optiarc forum, to gather more info and opinions :wink:

:iagree: If I was in the market for a new SATA, that would be my choice.

Thanks. I’ll look at them

I would recommend them too. I have 2 now and am highly impressed with them. They burn as good or better than my Pioneers (5 of them).

Reading these forums the Optiarc 7201S seems to be the best liked and isn’t widely available either. Is there something about the better drives that cause them not to be sold?

I do find it a NewEgg, but [U][I][B]these reviews [/B][/I][/U]don’t give me a warm feeling. Half of them are below average.

Personally speaking, I would trust opinions from CDF members more than customer reviews (even on sites as highly regarded as NewEgg) - as members here know all the different ways to test discs and make sure a drive is hooked up properly and running smoothly.

As for drive availability - most of the time when a newer model is released, stocks of older models tend to run out - I’ve seen this with the Pioneer 115(D) in the US, plus the Samsung 203x. It’s not because the drives are crap, manufacturers just want to get their latest drives sold :wink:

I googled SH s 203 and found a few sites that had it, one was Nextag.com, $24.99.

I agree with you. I just ordered it.

As for drive availability - most of the time when a newer model is released, stocks of older models tend to run out - I’ve seen this with the Pioneer 115(D) in the US, plus the Samsung 203x. It’s not because the drives are crap, manufacturers just want to get their latest drives sold

I didn’t realize the Optiarc 7201S was a discontinued model.

[QUOTE=i_am_jim;2136425]I didn’t realize the Optiarc 7201S was a discontinued model.[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure it is, but there is a newer model (7203A/S), hence my comment :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help and comments

The 7201S is the same as the rest of the 720xS or A series, it just has the extra hardware for lightscribe, and currently the 720XA or S is the latest optiarc drive.

You’re welcome. Hope you like your new drive when it arrives. :slight_smile:

To be clear, this drive and this one are the same except for the lightscribe feature? Is that right? I changed my order to the cheaper one so I want to be sure.

Yes, there are 3 drives from the 720xA/S series the 7200 (just a cd/dvd burner) / 7201 with ligthscribe, and the 7203 that has labelflash, all three share the same hardware.

Thanks

There’s no chance I’m going to pay extra for disks and spend 20 minutes burning a label for each disk.