Choosing a Motherboard

vbimport

This one isn’t urgent, but it’s irritating me.

My normally faithful Gigabyte P965-DS3 has demonstrated a total inability to do all of these three tasks simultaneously:

1. overclock
  2. run 4 DIMMs
  3. boot with more than 1 USB device plugged in

This irks me :a, since it was everybody’s favorite overclocking board in it’s day - but I guess that was a day when RAM was much more expensive, and people in general didn’t test it with 4 sticks.

For now I shall simply not plug in my scanner/pendrive until I’ve booted into windows, but in the long run I’m on the lookout for a new motherboard. I don’t care about SLI, firewire, RAID, or really anything beyond being able to do the three points above at the same time. I have 1 SATA HDD, 1 SATA DVD, and no floppy, serial, or parallel devices needing legacy sockets.

I currently have my eye on an Asus P5K-E WiFi (since it would be no bad thing to get rid of my PCI wireless card in the process) but I am open to suggestion from anyone who is managing all 3 of the above with a different board.

Thoughts appreciated.

[QUOTE=Samuel4u;2031247]

1. overclock
  2. run 4 DIMMs
    [/QUOTE]

Doing any of the above will increase the current drawn from the
power supply. Check the connections between the PSU and
mainboard. If possible, check the power supply voltages
under load using a digital voltmeter.

Yeah, maybe a beefier PSU needed?

You’ll have “issues” with overclock using 4 DIMM slots in general.
I’d get a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 if I were you, much better choice of components (LAN, Audio etc). For WLAN I’d highly recommend a card which use Atheros-chipset(s).
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2031473]You’ll have “issues” with overclock using 4 DIMM slots in general.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the off-topic question, and sorry for my ignorance in this field :o

What are the “issues” in using all 4 slots in the mainboard? There will be issues also [U]without overclocking[/U] the system?

So to put 4 GB RAM on a mainboard is better to use 2x2GB twin modules and not 4x1GB?

[QUOTE=geno888;2031491]Sorry for the off-topic question, and sorry for my ignorance in this field :o

What are the “issues” in using all 4 slots in the mainboard? There will be issues also [U]without overclocking[/U] the system?

So to put 4 GB RAM on a mainboard is better to use 2x2GB twin modules and not 4x1GB?

Thanks ;)[/QUOTE]

The biggest advantage I have seen with using just two of the four memory slots is it allows the memory to be run at CR1 if the RAM is up to the task. This makes a big difference in performance over running at a CR2 setting. Maybe there are some boards that can run four sticks at CR1. If there are I would like to know which ones will do it for future reference.

Thanks for the answer UTR :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Samuel4u;2031247]This one isn’t urgent, but it’s irritating me.

My normally faithful Gigabyte P965-DS3 has demonstrated a total inability to do all of these three tasks simultaneously:

1. overclock
  2. run 4 DIMMs

This irks me :a, since it was everybody’s favorite overclocking board in it’s day - but I guess that was a day when RAM was much more expensive, and people in general didn’t test it with 4 sticks.

For now I shall simply not plug in my scanner/pendrive until I’ve booted into windows, but in the long run I’m on the lookout for a new motherboard. I don’t care about SLI, firewire, RAID, or really anything beyond being able to do the three points above at the same time. I have 1 SATA HDD, 1 SATA DVD, and no floppy, serial, or parallel devices needing legacy sockets.

I currently have my eye on an Asus P5K-E WiFi (since it would be no bad thing to get rid of my PCI wireless card in the process) but I am open to suggestion from anyone who is managing all 3 of the above with a different board.

Thoughts appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I am a big fan of the Biostar T-Force series of motherboards. They have plenty of over clocking features, use high quality board components and have reasonable pricing. Here is a link to their Intel boards: http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/t-series/index.php

Joining geno888, with not all at topic post. :flower:

Read somewhere this Giga mobo uses some kind of “power saving” futures. Don’t think power supply is the obstacle as guessed by some members above.

[I]Edit[/I], oh, here it is.

[QUOTE=geno888;2031511]Thanks for the answer UTR :)[/QUOTE]

Your welcome. As for over clocking the CPU, I haven’t seen any restrictions using four sticks verses two when they are well matched for running dual channel mode.

Having 4 DIMMs stresses the system a lot more than two since you have slimmer margins for timings etc (you usually boost memory frequency). The potential performance boost by command rate is to be honest close to none in real life.
//Danne

Samuel4u, are you running the latest bios version for your MB, its F13k, sometimes they correct memory controller issues like this.

I’d also suggest stressing your memory with memtest86+, possibly one of your sticks is bad or not good enough to overclock.

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2031560]Having 4 DIMMs stresses the system a lot more than two since you have slimmer margins for timings etc (you usually boost memory frequency). The potential performance boost by command rate is to be honest close to none in real life.
//Danne[/QUOTE]

Agreed, especially if you plan to overclock.
Timing becomes an issue with four slots populated, as you generally have to loosen the timings to achive the desired overclock.

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2031560]Having 4 DIMMs stresses the system a lot more than two since you have slimmer margins for timings etc (you usually boost memory frequency). The potential performance boost by command rate is to be honest close to none in real life.
//Danne[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree with this. I notice a substantial difference between CR1 and CR2. It also shows up in various bench marks in a big way. Here’s the difference for my computer:
CR1

CR2

UTR, its already been shown that those synthetic benchmarks do not show the real world difference, it more like 3-6 percent.

That may or may not be true but I notice a difference between the two settings. The speed difference is noticeable. I’m sure things like hard drive and processor speed comes into play but the difference is there. Maybe I’ll run a test of my own and post the results.