Choice of 2 laptops

Hi… First post… Great to have this site as a resource.

Looking at two lower-priced laptops at Best Buy. While very similar, there are slight differences and I wanted to see what people would go with.

Toshiba A45-S130 2.8 Ghz Celeron ($1000 after rebates)
512 MB RAM upgradable to 2 GB
400 Mhz Bus Speed
Integrated graphics w/ 32 MB

Compaq Presario 2596US 2.6 Ghz Celeron ($700 after rebate)
256 MB RAM upgradable to 1 GB
266 MHz Bus Speed
ATI Mobility RADEON 4X AGP w/ 64MB DDR

They share these same features:
15" screen
40 GB Hard Drive
Integrated 802.11b/g & Modem
DVD/CD-RW Drive

So I guess my question is, is it more important to have better Front Side Bus speed or to have an actual graphics chip and better graphics memory? Is the better FSB and memory worth $300?

Thanks.

Well… what do you want to do with your laptop? If gaming if of any concern to you, go for the Compaq. If not, I’d take the Toshiba because of the higher speed and better amount of memory.

But again… it all depends on what this laptop will be used for!

True enough, Dee-ehn… Should have been more specific.

It’s for my wife. She plans for using it mainly for writing and language programs, so not much needed there… She might want to use some of the home architect programs out there, which might use a bit more as far as resources.

She also wants to be able to do some minimal gaming (Blizzard games mostly) if possible.

Thanks for your help.

Well i dont think that the higher bus is worth the 300$. Both laptops should be ok for what you intend to use them.

Personnally i would try and find a laptop using a cpu other than celeron at the same price although i doubt there will be one available.

What about this?

eMachine M5312 Athlon XP-M 2400+ ($1049)
512MB DDRAM
ATI® Mobility RADEON™ (Integrated)
64 MB DDR Shared Video Memory

15.4" TFT Widescreen
60GB HD
10/100 Ethernet and 56k modem
54g wireless LAN
DVD/CD-RW Drive
3 USB 2.0 ports
1 IEEE 1394 (firewire)

That baby beats the ones you mentioned nicely :iagree:
So personally I would pick between the one I mentioned or the $700 one.
But if I was thinking about spending $1000 anyway… get the one I mentioned! :stuck_out_tongue:

I like these notebooks, Highly configurable for every customer and they seem to have excellent support.

Uhhhh Mr.B that’s at least $1850 over his budget :stuck_out_tongue:

But yes. VoodooPC’s are awesome. They are based out of Calgary (the city I live in). I’ve been down to there shop to apply for a job and even the shop is cool (artwork, design etc) :cool:

Originally posted by Ssseth
[B]Uhhhh Mr.B that’s at least $1850 over his budget :stuck_out_tongue:

But yes. VoodooPC’s are awesome. They are based out of Calgary (the city I live in). I’ve been down to there shop to apply for a job and even the shop is cool (artwork, design etc) :cool: [/B]

That pc is freeeeken SWWWEEEEETTT…:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

They have the option to give the PC’s/Laptop’s a custom paint job with high quality car paint. They shine like an expensive sports car would. :smiley:

Uhhhh Mr.B that’s at least $1850 over his budget :stuck_out_tongue:

Sure , but it will not be obsolete in 2 years. The budget notebooks will be.

They have the option to give the PC’s/Laptop’s a custom paint job with high quality car paint. They shine like an expensive sports car would. :smiley:

Oh thanks Ssseth now i’ve wrecked a perfectly good keyboard!

Speaking of keyboards… They will even custom paint the keyboard and mouse to match. There is no better pre-built custom PC’s out there. :smiley:

Look at that shine.

:bigsmile:

[B]Speaking of keyboards… They will even custom paint the keyboard and mouse to match. There is no better pre-built custom PC’s out there. :smiley:

Look at that shine.

:bigsmile: [/B]

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I know that this is going off-topic. But I think our friend has already found his answer.

Cyber have you seen this thread yet?
Make sure to check the last post as well. :iagree:

WOW. This thread has 3372 views in only 3 days!!! :eek: That is as much as some of the stickies… :rolleyes:

D-R-O-O-L!

Now that’s just sweeettt:bow:

@Pesco: did you find your laptop? If so, let me know so I can close this topic. It’s going way too offtopic…