Chinese startup will sell 4TB PCIe SSDs for $149 in June this year

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Chinese startup will sell 4TB PCIe SSDs for $149 in June this year[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/04/slide-2-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Slides from the Chinese startup Huaji have been leaked to us that promise a 4TB PCIe SSD for $149. To achieve the low cost SSDs the company has purchased old equipment used to produce NAND at 2x nm. The company was founded in 2011 by several NAND veterans and graduates from the Beijing Tech University. The drive was for a short time available on Amazon but quickly pulled after we ordered it.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/chinese-startup-will-sell-4tb-pcie-ssds-149-june-year-79012/](http://www.myce.com/news/chinese-startup-will-sell-4tb-pcie-ssds-149-june-year-79012/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

this is a rather poor april fools joke. you guys did something similar a few years ago. you guys seriously lack imagination

My first thought was the read/write rate must be around 5 mb/s at that price for a drive coming from a Chinese vendor.

[QUOTE=chickenlittle;2771236]this is a rather poor april fools joke. you guys did something similar a few years ago. you guys seriously lack imagination[/QUOTE]

Mine is on the way.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=chickenlittle;2771236]this is a rather poor april fools joke. you guys did something similar a few years ago. you guys seriously lack imagination[/QUOTE]

Just a tad ‘bad sportsmanship’ coming forth with such a view before April 2nd? :flower:

You have to have imagination to enjoy a good Aprils Fools joke and JW absolutely has a good sense of humor, and I personally thought it was funny. Some people always have to turn what should be fun into an attack on their ho hum existence. April Fools is a fun time for me, too bad some don’t take it for what its worth.:wink:

^ Know, I still don’t get why some have to inform the rest when and if they figure it out… Discussions about how good or bad a particular April fools joke is can be discussed April 2nd onwards.

Next year I suggest you come up with something crazy and put the blame on a user of this forum… iow me… I do not need a heads up as I can stand being ever so unpopular for a day or even weeks and will even back it up… maybe we can anonymously publish all private hate messages afterwards :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2771386]^ Know, I still don’t get why some have to inform the rest when and if they figure it out… Discussions about how good or bad a particular April fools joke is can be discussed April 2nd onwards.

Next year I suggest you come up with something crazy and put the blame on a user of this forum… iow me… I do not need a heads up as I can stand being ever so unpopular for a day or even weeks and will even back it up… maybe we can anonymously publish all private hate messages afterwards :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
LOL.:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2771252]Mine is on the way.:)[/QUOTE]I got mine already you got yours yet?:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

Well I wasn’t here last year and the way I figure it, if it gets you, it’s a good one. That is what it’s all about.

We were initially working on a different joke for this year but we started too late and couldn’t spend enough time to make everything sound plausible enough to fool people. Last year our internal April’s fools thread had 61 posts in total, we were even contacted by a BDA representative after that joke. This year we only managed 14 posts on the first idea, 6 posts on the SSD joke and 2 posts with an idea for next year.

Last year we started gathering ideas on March 2nd with an initial idea being agreed on by everyone. Then we started collecting things that had to be considered for a plausible story like specifications or names to not make people spot errors in our text that would reveal the joke immediately. The first draft of a text was provided on March 18th. This text was edited 9 times until March 30th - not including the numerous times we updated the logo and the mail screenshot. Finally it was only up to finding another strange story to make people believe this story would be the the joke for that year.

But in general the Myce team has a lot of fun working on our April’s fools jokes. :bigsmile:

Unrequested PM about drive problems will not be answered!

No technical support then?

[QUOTE=beef barley;2771466]No technical support then?[/QUOTE]
That’s from the time, when people started to PM me about problems with their NEC/Optiarc drives instead of posting in the relevant forum.

Did it work Liggy?

[QUOTE=beef barley;2771481]Did it work Liggy?[/QUOTE]
Better than expected

[QUOTE=Liggy;2771441]We were initially working on a different joke for this year but we started too late and couldn’t spend enough time to make everything sound plausible enough to fool people. Last year our internal April’s fools thread had 61 posts in total, we were even [B]contacted by a BDA representative[/B] after that joke. This year we only managed 14 posts on the first idea, 6 posts on the SSD joke and 2 posts with an idea for next year.
[/QUOTE]
That was a classic. :bow:

Counting the days until 2017… :bigsmile:

Wish this was true…I like to see what those drives look like … :cool:

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2771553]Wish this was true…I like to see what those drives look like … :cool:[/QUOTE]
But imagine how unreliable a cheap, no-name, assembled from any old lowest cost generic components SSD would probably be. :iagree: