Chinese pirates go after Blu-ray format

vbimport

I just posted the article Chinese pirates go after Blu-ray format.

Movie pirates have now taken advantage of a technological twist to make cheap copies that are difficult for consumers to spot, without resorting to expensive recordable Blu-ray discs. Thanks to…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15212-Chinese-pirates-go-after-Blu-ray-format.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15212-Chinese-pirates-go-after-Blu-ray-format.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I preffer just download BDMV copy :slight_smile:

I was in China earlier this year teaching and noticed these discs start to appear on the streets, publicly. They are everywhere, you just have to walk down streets and some guy has a box to sell to you.

This has been going on for DVDs for years. I could walk down the street and simply select whatever movie for about $ .70. “Could” being the operative word, I only did it a couple of times to bring home examples.

The idea that the authorities “uncovered” this operation only a month ago is a complete joke. While they may not have known where it was happening, they knew what was going on.

The blu-ray covers are very promoninent in street vendors boxes. I have one right now I’m staring at I brought home. Fooled me at first too, lol.

You get what you pay for. I’d go for 720p at $0.70 over an overpriced 1080p at $25.

“I’d go for 720p at $0.70 over an overpriced 1080p at $25”

Hell yeah !!!

AVCHD can also do 1080p/24 just like the original. It is just the bitrate that is lowered to fit onto a DVD.

I had a friend brought a pirated DVD a while ago. It says DVD Dual Layer but in fact it’s only an SL! It also says DTS Suround sound and my Receiver did confirm DTS but the sound is awfull! The video quality is bad, the audio (fake DTS) is bad. Bad job.

Given my experience, I would get a legit DVD over pirated Blu-ray anytime! They would probably say DTS HD Master Audio on the case but probably fake either.

I’d go for 720p at $0.70 over an overpriced 1080p at $25.
So would I, lets hope this does take off in the EU and US and causes a drop in the price of these official disks. While I don’t condone it, neither do I condone the huge markups there are on Blu-ray disks neither. So really I have no sympathy for the BD forum if these disks come in and bite them on the backside for being greedy.

avchd has much better video quality than a standard DVD, but the compatibility is a problem. Udf 2.5 isn’t supported in winxp without 3rd party software, nor dvd players, and possibly bluray players. Much of the crap from china is screeners, rather than proper rips. Only the cheapest of the cheap, or poorest of the poor would appreciate the pirate discs, and they’d probably be more inclined to steal an original than buy it.

So when is the industry going to recognize the opportunity here to offer (1) legitimate HD titles in AVCHD format on DVD media and (2) DVD players that will decode MPEG4 and output HD video?

avchd has much better video quality than a standard DVD, but the compatibility is a problem. Udf 2.5 isn’t supported in winxp without 3rd party software, nor dvd players, and possibly bluray players. Much of the crap from china is screeners, rather than proper rips. Only the cheapest of the cheap, or poorest of the poor would appreciate the pirate discs, and they’d probably be more inclined to steal an original than buy it. [/quote]</span>
It’s funny to see people talking out of their @$$. I just came back from a business trip to Beijing. Yeah there are screeners, but high quality rips are everywhere as well. And I’ve seen many foreigners purchasing them too. </span></p>

AVCHD does not have to present a compatibility problem. There is nothing inherent in the MPEG4-10 format that requires UDF 2.5. I have made discs with AVCHD content that are compatible with Windows XP and Blu-ray players. I’ve also made “combo” discs; a “combo” disc will play its DVD content when placed in a DVD player, its AVCHD content (1920x1080) when placed in a Blu-ray player and is compatible with Windows XP.