Chinese manufacturers to stop making DVD players in 2008

I just posted the article Chinese manufacturers to stop making DVD players in 2008.

While Blu-ray and HD DVD players have a long way to go to catch up on DVD player sales, in China around 20 leading DVD player manufacturers announced plans to stop producing DVD players from 2008,…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12715-Chinese-manufacturers-to-stop-making-DVD-players-in-2008.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12715-Chinese-manufacturers-to-stop-making-DVD-players-in-2008.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Well this might be good for chine but it will probably end up like SVCD. Not making it big elsewhere.

Do you mean Chinese? :stuck_out_tongue:

“Chine” is “China” in French. Maybe he’s French. Let the man alone, you instigator. On a happier note, glad to see we have another format to worry about. Soon we can buy our movies in VHS, VCD, DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-ray and now EVD. Wonderful. :stuck_out_tongue:

speaking of which, when do you think VHS tapes will stop being produced?

Hey as long as it plays existing formats too I dont care. It’s like saying “we’re now making players that playback all your divx and xvid films too as well as your DVD’s, do you really want to buy a DVD only player for the same money??” Obvious market reaction is - um, I’ll have the combo please!

I’ve heard that 2007 is the last year that the major studios will stop producing movies on VHS. There’s just no market for them anymore.

It doesn’t mention if they are going to stop making DVD players for export though. "On a happier note, glad to see we have another format to worry about. Soon we can buy our movies in VHS, VCD, DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-ray and now EVD. Wonderful. " EVD has been available for years and is only in China. It is their way to stop paying out royalties to the West. They did the same thing with HVD (Hi Def Versatile Disc and nothing to do with Holographic Versatile Disc) as they don’t use Blu Ray or HD-DVD in China.