China set to start its own HD format war

vbimport

I just posted the article China set to start its own HD format war.

With Blu-ray player pricing remaining quite high, China has decided to independently develop its own high definition format, red-ray, which has had some great success progress so far in its…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14675-China-set-to-start-its-own-HD-format-war.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14675-China-set-to-start-its-own-HD-format-war.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I hope Red-ray kick’s Blu-ray’s ass to the curb. Go commies !!! DukeNukem… bringing oddball humour to CDFreaks since 1972.

“The main challenge China’s new red-ray format will face is attracting content providers to take on the format.” Are they kidding? I know tons of bootleggers that can supply the content! :d

Red ray? Is that the new consumer friendly name for HD FVD? If so, Blu-ray has nothing to worry about.

“Posted by Ian@CDRLabs.com on Wednesday 28 May 2008 01:59 Red ray? Is that the new consumer friendly name for HD FVD? If so, Blu-ray has nothing to worry about.” Ummm… I hate to break the news to ya, but anyone with any money in Bluray, is perched on a ledge somewhere deciding whether or not to jump. They crawleed back inside the window when HD DVD threw in the towel whilst Toshiba took a 1 billion dollar, Chuck Norris style roundhouse swift kick to the nuts. Now, just as sales continue to plummet due to the end of the “war” and a “shortage of consumers” not players, all they need is China to come along and muddy up the water with a new format. Joe Sixpack has switched to Jack Daniels, cause this high tech DRM infested crap is giving him a headache as it is. Bluray is a freakin’ abomination, a slap in the face to consumers rights and a marketing nightmare. I can see the ads now: “Set out the recession and sky high gas prices with an HD movie player!” Sure diesel is 10 dollars a gallon in London, and $5.00 a gallon in California but why not take that gas money and sink it into a $5,000 home entertainment system? You wont be able to hear the creditors knock with your 300 watt per channel surround sound receiver!!! HDCP rulez" The problem I see with “red ray” (redrum?) as Seán states in the article, is for China - piracy central, to get their hands on Hollywood content for their discs. If Hollywood does turn over digital masters to these people, they will have a hard time complaining about piracy when they see these films spread like wildfire all over the planet before they even reach us poor saps in America. Hell in the US, they can’t even control screeners, how can they control what happens to blockbuster films like the Crystal Skull when it gets out in the wild over there? Plus, if I am not mistaken, these red laser file sizes will be smaller and easier to “share” over the net. :S
This message was edited at: 28-05-2008 03:19

Red ray will be delivered by leprechauns seated upon unicorns on April 1.

I’m waiting for Green-ray, the envy-inducing format.

@ Ian@CDRLabs.com “Red ray? Is that the new consumer friendly name for HD FVD? If so, Blu-ray has nothing to worry about.” Dude, what are you on? There’s over 1.3 billion people in China. If the government wants its citizens to use Red-ray, they’re using Red-ray. @ Crabbyappleton “Toshiba took a 1 billion dollar, Chuck Norris style roundhouse swift kick to the nuts. … You wont be able to hear the creditors knock with your 300 watt per channel surround sound receiver!!!” LOL. I almost wet myself. @ BitRate “I’m waiting for Green-ray, the envy-inducing format.” No, I think Green-ray is strictly for environmentalists. I read that somewhere.

I thought the green laser was for audio CD’s & MP3’s? I thought the red laser was already in use on standard DVD’s. Correct me if I am wrong.

Okay, I was just kidding about the green laser. I didn’t actually think one really existed. More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc DukeNukem… walking around with his foot in his mouth since the Earth cooled.