Chimera ransomware encrypts files and publishes private data on the internet

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Chimera ransomware encrypts files and publishes private data on the internet[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/10/myce-chimera-95x75.png[/newsimage]

In Germany a new ransomware has been discovered that not only encrypts files but also locks the system and threatens to publish sensitive data, photos and videos on the internet.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/chimera-ransomware-encrypts-files-and-publishes-private-data-on-the-internet-77643/](http://www.myce.com/news/chimera-ransomware-encrypts-files-and-publishes-private-data-on-the-internet-77643/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

The ransomware is called Chimera and targets mainly companies.
Sounds like their IT education security is less then a Kindergartens educations.

Through emails with fake job postings, job applications and contracts users are seduced to open a file hosted on Dropbox.
Why am I not surprised and then again people are stupid enough to click on links they don’t know.

Many years ago on News/usenet, a user said he had five antivirus programs installed and wrote he still got infected. The answer that the user got is
still one of the best I have seen: “There is nothing that is going to protect you against your own stupidity”

Today, all people are equally vulnerable to malware no matter their surfing habits or how they use their computer as we all are more and more existing as global net citizens. To try and protect themselves, many still seem to rely on their antivirus application only and think they are safe. Sadly, that has not been true since many years ago, but coolcolors advice above is true.

What advice? Common sense, cautiousness and scepticism! Add regular backups and you will minimize the impact of an infection.

If you are already infected, well good luck studying decryption routines. I do not know if it is possible to use “System restore” or going back using “Shadow copies” for this particular infection, but for whatever it is worth, considering the value of the common laptop/workstation, the cheapest advice is usually “reinstall” or “buy yourself a new PC”. Unless you can disinfect the computer yourself that is.

I couldn’t agree more, but so many people are not really stupid, it’s that they are uneducated in the ways of safe computing. Some of them are so tech un savvy they will never learn, like my neighbour, she will get caught every time stating, “well how would I know?” Well I’ve told her enough times, but she will never get it. Still, it keeps me busy removing, or rebuilding the O/S in her computer. (I have an image for it now, much quicker.)

There must be millions of people like this all over the world, like a huge farm with lambs going to slaughter.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2762575]Still, it keeps me busy removing, or rebuilding the O/S in her computer. (I have an image for it now, much quicker.)
There must be millions of people like this all over the world, like a huge farm with lambs going to slaughter.[/QUOTE]

I have a few under my own wing - There is no light in the tunnel they are travelling. Commonly known as the PEBCAC people in my circles (Problem Exist Between Computer And Chair), a group I have more and more empathy for and I do work many hours for free every month to try to help some of them in their struggle.
I also try to do my part in the local community building computers from old computers I swap for customers and give them away to people who can not afford their own.

Here however, it is a ransomeware mainly targetting companies and then I agree with coolcolors

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2762563]Sounds like their IT education security is less then a Kindergartens educations.[/QUOTE]
Typically, the IT department/worker will even blame the users when they fail in doing their job…

A friend of mine runs the IT section of a fairly large insurance company, he spends a huge amount of time making sure nothing nasty gets through to the people in the front line. One hell of a responsibility, but he does manage it.

I wonder how many companies don’t employ people that can do this job. He gets paid very well, but I think he deserves it and it’s worth every Penny/Dollar/Euro

Xercus, well done for all the philanthropic work you do. We need more people helping others for all sorts of reasons. Although it can be frustrating at times, generally, it’s well worth the effort to see people happy. A bit like here really. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2762585]I wonder how many companies don’t employ people that can do this job. He gets paid very well, but I think he deserves it and it’s worth every Penny/Dollar/Euro

Xercus, well done for all the philanthropic work you do. We need more people helping others for all sorts of reasons. Although it can be frustrating at times, generally, it’s well worth the effort to see people happy. A bit like here really. :)[/QUOTE]

Considering the cost to be expected from a full network-wide infection, I totally agree. Several medium size buisnesses in my country have not employed anyone at all taking care of IT or on-premise security, relying on third-party solutions and thereby takes, as I see it, a risk which gets bigger and bigger day by day.

It is said that IT security is not interesting as long as the level is high enough and I agree :bigsmile:

philanthropic, is that the word (not found in technical manuals so I did not know) :wink: - Absolutely true, seeing other people happy is all the thanks I need in that work. Makes me feel I can actually make a difference - which is about the only form of positive egoism I know - to give without expecting or wanting anything in return… A smile will do :flower:

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2762575]Still, it keeps me busy removing, or rebuilding the O/S in her computer. (I have an image for it now, much quicker.)[/QUOTE]
I figure this from the days of Norton Ghost…

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2762575]There must be millions of people like this all over the world, like a huge farm with lambs going to slaughter.[/QUOTE]
It’s not “there must be” it’s there already are millions of people…going to the slaughter already…so this is a misquote in itself…

I gather there is a shortage of IT techs that are good enough to do the job, this may also contribute to the problem. My friend is always getting “head hunted” by other companies, but he’s quite happy where he is. The good thing for him is he will never be short of work.

Yep, same here, it’s almost selfish, feeling good getting a smile or if I’m lucky a kiss on the cheek by a pretty maiden. :o :slight_smile: