Chile Earthquake May Have Shortened Earth's Day, Shifted Axis

vbimport

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/02/chile-earthquake-may-have_0_n_483369.html

NEW YORK — Earth’s days may have gotten a little bit shorter since the massive earthquake in Chile, but don’t feel bad if you haven’t noticed.

The difference would be only about one-millionth of a second.

Richard Gross, a scientist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., and colleagues calculated that Saturday’s quake shortened the day by 1.26 microseconds. A microsecond is one-millionth of a second.

The length of a day is the time it takes for the planet to complete one rotation – 86,400 seconds or 24 hours.

Now I have a good reason for why I did not get all the housework my wife wanted me to do yesterday done. As soon as she gets up in the morning I am going to tell her it was not my fault but the earthquake in Chile

[QUOTE=samlar;2498384]Richard Gross, a scientist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., and colleagues calculated that Saturday’s quake shortened the day by 1.26 microseconds. A microsecond is one-millionth of a second.

The length of a day is the time it takes for the planet to complete one rotation – 86,400 seconds or 24 hours.[/QUOTE]

In other news: Richard is now attempting to waste even more cpu cycles to check if world of warcraft is really a waste of time.When Richard solves world starvation, green house effects or religious war is not known, but NASA expects nothing.

JUst think of all that money we pay them to find out stupid things like this.