Child Sex Charges Dropped Against Teacher Debra LaFave

After a judge rejected a proposed plea agreement charges against Debra LaFave, the 25-year-old Tampa teacher accused of having a sexual relationship with a 14-year-old student were dropped by prosecutors in Marion County, Florida. From The St. Petersburg Times:

TAMPA - A few hours after an Ocala judge refused to accept a plea deal, Marion County prosecutors announced that they were dropping all charges against Debra Lafave, the former middle school teacher accused of sexual assault of a student nearly two years ago.

"The court may be willing to risk the victim’s well being in this case in order to force it to trial, I am not,’’ said Ric Ridgway, chief assistant state attorney in Marion County.

Earlier Tuesday, Marion County Judge Hale R. Stancil had rejected a plea deal that would have spared Lafave jail time in exchange for pleading guilty.

“Accepting the proposed plea agreement would undermine the credibility of this court, and the criminal justice system as a whole, and would erode public confidence in our schools,” Judge Stancil wrote in the order released Tuesday.

Marion County prosecutors then decided to drop the charges.

Complete Article

From WizBangBlog

Debra LaFave did not escape punishment completely. In November 2005 LaFave plead guilty to two counts of lewd and lascivious battery in Hillsborough County in exchange for a sentence of three years of house arrest and seven years probation. That guilty plea also required her to register as a sex offender, but she did escape any prison time. Prosecutors agreed to the plea bargain after the family of the victim implored them to find a way for the now 16-year-old boy to avoid what was destined to become a media circus. LaFave had faced up to 40 years in prison if convicted on all counts.

Today’s action in Marion County, where she faced similar charges, ends the case for LaFave, who is now engaged to her high school sweetheart Andrew Beck.

It also marks a chance for the victim and his family to somehow find their way back to normal.

She pleaded guilty to two counts of lewd and lascivious battery

I thought ‘battery’ in the legal sense was something to do with striking somebody?

although we will probably hear the cries of ‘what if it were the other way round’ this has to be every 14 year old lads dream, it was certainly mine :flower:

mine too… if the girl on the motorbike was my teacher, id be over the moon.
I doubt it’ll keep him up at night… Excuse the double entendre.

Bloody hell ! If that were my teacher in the photo up there I’d BEG HER, I mean who wouldn’t :smiley: But people, remember, as much as you would like to do your teachers :smiley: I still believe in ethics - Still the student was 14 and she was 25, no matter if the 14 year old conscented ( I mean most would ) it still makes it wrong for teachers to shag their students ! She should be punished :smiley:

:stuck_out_tongue: I doubt I would learn much if she was my teacher :stuck_out_tongue: But come on, she’s 25 and he’s 14…and from what I heard, the young man (I can definitely call him that :bow: ) didn’t press charges, he refused to

So, who else in here has lived in Florida in Tampa?I did, until about 2 months ago. That woman is sick. Thats all I have to say. What, she cant get any love from a man her age so she gets it from a kid. Thats just messed up. I cant believe they let her off.

From what I heard, it was her “mental disability” which all criminals seem to have these days :doh: :rolleyes:

i don’t think it’s a big deal…like you’ve all stated, it’s probably every teenage boy’s dream.

it sure is pretty messed up on her part.

the only reason I think it’s ridiculous that pretty much nothing happened to her is if it had been a male teacher and a 14 year old girl, he’d be in jail in NO time and treated like a rapist. with this scenario, the boy is a hero, and the woman is at worst pathetic.

even though I’m with you guys that it’s a messed up situation, but I’m sure the kid will get through it (and with a good story to tell in the future), I think they should have made an example out of her. The double standard is a little bit scary to think about. They don’t treat child rapists too well in prison, and any 25 year old man sleeping with a 14 year old would certainly be labeled as such, but in this woman’s case she gets off with a slap on the wrist…

battery isn’t just hitting; it can be offensive touching. Florida seems to have a criminal statute specifically for this form of battery. A civil remedy is also possible.

Oh, FYI, since the victim is a 14-yro boy, he can’t legally consent. Even if he literally asks for it, she’s breaking the law.

It’ still a matter of power, she was in a position of power and trust and what she did also breached the trust placed in her as a teacher. As said he can’t legally consent. What would those saying “Cool I would love it…” (Ofcourse paraphrasing), say if it was a male teacher with a girl pupil? The double standards point is raised by reason.

wazzy generally an age gap of 11 years wouldn’t be problomatic, if the lad had been of age. Though the double standard applies here too.

This “It’s a teenage boys dream” is an extreme double standard and is one way female teachers who abuse the children in their care can get away with it. After all how many boys would report such abuse?

I doubt the boy was physically “abused”. Perhaps he was in the letter of the law, but perhaps it was also one of the best abusing 14 year old people can imagine.

Mentally abused is another subject of course. Unfortunately that’s also a thing that goes to the opinion of (biased) experts.

In the UK a battery is an assault and you are right an assault doesn’t mean just striking some one. A touch, having intercourse are all assault in law.
As the young man was unable to give consent surely the proper charge should have been rape. Would it have been so if the sexes were reversed?
In the UK the person would have to be13 yrs or younger for the possibility of rape to be considered as consent cannot be give by a minor.
It is particularly abhorrent to me that she and her defence team are all smiling as if a great injustice has been avoided.

I didn’t mean it like that, I meant more of a come on, the kid is 14, how pathetic is this teacher lady. I’m ok with an 11 year old gap if they’re both of age…my old band teacher married a guy 11 years older than her.

Lucky kid … pathetic woman … justice not served.